• Have you tried any subscription boxes?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 22, 2020 at 8:07 am

Too often, as PH patients and caregivers, we find ourselves homebound for long periods. We need to find ways to busy ourselves and also have some fun.

Something popular over the last few years has been subscription boxes. Subscription boxes can appeal to most. There are food boxes, wine, books, clothes, socks, makeup, and travel boxes, just to name a few.

The first box I received was a meal prep box with 3 meals for free that a friend sent to me. I am sure that you have seen these ads on TV. The food was great, although my hubby thought his portions on the protein were too little-Hehe.

Next, I tried a loose tea subscription, because I enjoy flavored teas, hot and iced. That one, I felt like the tea was bland. I have also used a spice box because I enjoy cooking. It offered different spices. It included a recipe so that I could try something new. That was fun. But more often, I have found the subscription boxes are great gift ideas. Plus, who doesn’t like surprises?

Have you tried any subscription boxes? If so, what did you like or dislike about them? Did you receive the box as a gift, or you selected it?

I am sharing a link that offers a ton of ideas within a variety of prices. Maybe you will find something that interests you or start your own. Let’s talk about it.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 12 months ago 5 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • v-r-peterson

April 23, 2020 at 10:13 am

Oh yes! During my early married life, I was signed up for a crafting subscription. They’d send a new project every month, along with everything needed to complete the project. I think I stayed signed up for about two years. Then I ran out of space in my home to put any more crafting items. I had fun while it lasted.

• jen-cueva

April 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm

@mamabear007, it sounds like you’ve always been a crafter. That sounds like an excellent idea for a subscription box now. I wonder how many crafters can say the same as you. That’s funny that you filled up your home with the crafts.

My aunts quilted and had a seamstress shop. I remember they had huge craft rooms that were so cool. They also had crafts, fabric remnants, and things all over the house.

What types of crafts were in your subscription box? Did they offer ” beginner” crafts?

• v-r-peterson

April 23, 2020 at 5:34 pm

It was so long ago, I only remember a few of the crafts. One of them was fabric mache — blew up a ballon and covered it with strips of fabric. I don’t remember what I made that into. Another one was making a little birdhouse out of pre-cut wood (complete with a little toy bird. I hadn’t ever done any crafts of a similar nature before any of them. Good thing for me that they were all beginner level. That was about 40 years ago. Yes, I really am that old. 😉

• jen-cueva

April 24, 2020 at 10:19 am

@mamabear007, you are like wine, better as you age, right? I would not have guessed the crafts were that long ago. I have thought about buying the birdhouse kits to make. I love to sit and watch the birds and squirrels.

Honestly, I did not realize that subscription boxes were out that long ago. That is interesting. If you had to pick one today besides crafting, what would you choose?

• v-r-peterson

April 24, 2020 at 11:35 am

Oh @jenc, that’s an easy one to answer! Chocolates! I’ve got enough yarn to last a lifetime, so I don’t need knit or crochet kits. I’ve also got plenty of the pointy sticks and hooks for knitting and crocheting — my daughter-in-law calls me a knit wit, and my daughter calls me a happy hooker. I think I’m both. So I’d subscribe to a chocolate subscription.

• jen-cueva

April 24, 2020 at 11:42 am

Oh @mamabear007, I LOVE that choice! Chocolate never gets old. Not around me anyway, I don’t allow it to sit long-Hehe.

• Colleen

April 24, 2020 at 4:34 pm

Except for fun educational boxes that I prescribed to when the boys were little, I have never tried any. I really want to but hesitate because of budgeting reasons. Is it worth the cost and can you get out of them easily if you change your mind? I’ve seen ads for make-up and dog treats that intrigued me. It really does sound like it would be fun waiting to see what you receive with each delivery. I like the ones that advertise the boxes as a surprise each month. I take that to mean that you don’t know what will be in them?

Great topic and I’ll be following for suggestions. I’ll check-out the link you shared @jenc.

• jen-cueva

April 25, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Hi @colleensteele, did you use those educational ones as they have on the TV ads today? Those look pretty cool.

I can understand about budgets. I have only tried a 3-month subscription so far. I do think the surprise boxes would be fun. There is such a variety of those, too. I may order one, just so I can share the results if I find a good deal- Hehe.

Do you remember the gift stores that offered “grab bags” when we were kids? One card and gift store had those when my daughter was little, she loved those, and they were like $2-$3.

I am with @mamabear007; chocolate would always be a great surprise, too. Anyone else tried any? I am curious as to which ones were favored most.

• v-r-peterson

April 26, 2020 at 12:23 pm

@colleensteele, My last subscription box was dogs treats from Amazon. They offer a discount on the first box, and I was easily able to cancel it after the first month. My dog loved it.

You can find a list of all Amazon’s subscriptions (including chocolates and other snacks) here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=subscription+box&crid=SFBE8913MBBZ&sprefix=subscription%2Caps%2C307&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12

You can read the reviews on each subscription to get an idea what people have received in previous months.

• jen-cueva

April 27, 2020 at 8:56 am

Hi @mamabear007, I have seen the subscription boxes on Amazon. Is that where you ordered the dog treat one? I have seen The Bark Box on TV ads, but I thought it was expensive, so I have not looked into any more for our Sasha. I will take a look on Amazon to see what other ones interest me.

I received an email from Cratejoy for Mother’s Day subscript that service for Mother’s Day. I thought that this year might be a great time to utilize. I only look through the first page, but they offered treats, teas, self-care, as well as craft themed ones.

• Colleen

April 27, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for the link @mamabear007 . The dog boxes are actually the ones I have been tempted for a while to try. If I can talk my hubby into it I want to order one of those and one for make-up. I would enjoy those.

@jenc there was something from Nation Geographic that I use to get for the boys and then some other box of educational projects. I can’t for the life of me remember what that was called but they loved it.

• v-r-peterson

April 27, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Yes, @jenc, I ordered the Pawstruck subscription from Amazon. With the first-month discount, it was worth it. However, since it wasn’t worth the full price (what we’d be paying after the first month), I canceled it after the first box. It was easy peasy to cancel it from my Orders page on Amazon. Funny, I can justify spending a ridiculous amount for my dog — or even my husband or one of my children — but not for me. 🙂

• brittany-foster

April 27, 2020 at 4:38 pm

@mamabear007 @jenc and @colleensteele there are good subscriptions to science based boxes that are really cool for kids and for any science nerds out there ! I forget the exact brand but if you google science kits I am sure you will find a bunch! I have also seen self care kits that are for sale and I love that idea of getting something like that. There are a few in the chronic illness community that sells and makes something like this. It is worth asking about if you are in any facebook groups for chronic illness.

• jen-cueva

April 28, 2020 at 11:25 am

@mamabear007, thanks for sharing. I, too, want to check the treat box out for our Sasha. As empty-nesters, Sasha gets a bit of spoiling, too-Hehe. I remember making fun of my Moma when she would dress up her fur babies in little tees, now look at me, Hehe.

@brittany-foster, I sent my Moma a self-care box one Mother’s Day that she enjoyed. It had a candle, a bath bond, and a few other things. I think it had some chocolate, too. IDK anyone that sells these, so if they have an Etsy site, let me know. I will follow them. Etsy offers some cute handmade items. a PHriend of mine made jewelry years ago and got me hooked on Etsy.

Have you tried any subscription boxes yet for your BB? He would love them, I am sure.

• jen-cueva

May 19, 2020 at 7:31 am

@mamabear007, I just wanted to let you know that I did try the Amazon box from Pawstruck. Sasha loves all of the treats, and It was an excellent price for the first box. But, like you, the regular price is too high, and I will stop this one. Thanks again for sharing, and I hope that you are doing well.

I am hoping to try another type of subscription box so. I will keep y’all posted. Has anyone else had a chance to try any subscription boxes lately? If so, share. If not, what types would you have interest in?

• Colleen

May 19, 2020 at 11:46 am

@jenc no, I haven’t tried yet. My husband prefers to order things from Amazon so he might be willing to try Pawstruck. Did you have to cancel after the first box or do you order one at a time? The reason I ask is sometimes I’m bad about remembering or making time to cancel things I no longer want.

My cat had kidney stones recently and with that, expensive surgery. He’s on a special diet now and has a tendency to try and steal the dog’s food. So, I don’t know it we want more typed of treats around the house but toys would be great.

• v-r-peterson

May 19, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Colleen, I cancelled the Pawstruck box from this link: https://www.amazon.com/yourmembershipsandsubscriptions

I think you can also cancel the subscription from Your Orders page, but I’m not sure on that.

• jen-cueva

May 19, 2020 at 9:20 pm

@colleensteele, yes, canceled mine from my Amazon page. It is under subscriptions. That’s near the orders. I did it not long after we received the first box. Otherwise, I too would forget.

I saw several toy subscription boxes, too, for pets. I’m sorry to hear about the kidney stones of your cat. Vets are certainly an added expense even more so when it’s an emergency.

Thanks, @mamabear007.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 21, 2021 at 8:55 am

Yes, unfortunately, people with PH are sometimes unable to go out and buy themselves something. For example, my brother, who also suffers from this disease, can not go anywhere at the moment and I always help him in this!
    However, there was a period of time when I could not help him physically because I went to another city for work. In this case, my brother and I were really helped by the subscription boxes. My boyfriend recommended it to me https://newbiedeals.com/subscription-boxes/ so I can get a discount on my brother’s favorite subscription box. It really helped me.
    I’m actually very happy that people came up with such a great idea as subscription boxes!

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2021 at 9:17 am

Thanks, @ameliaogdenogden,
    I’ve never heard of that site. But it looks like one could find any type of box here. Thank you for sharing.

You’re direct, it often is difficult to go out shopping, online shooting, and subscription boxes are nice for gifting others. Amazon also offers some in a variety.