Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition Have You Tried The Mediterranean Diet ?

• Have You Tried The Mediterranean Diet ?

Posted by Colleen on December 9, 2020 at 5:51 pm

My son is on a strict low sodium diet due to his high blood pressure due to Kidney Disease. He is so good about watching his sodium intake…maybe a little too good. We are concerned that he isn’t eating enough or getting the right amount of vitamins and nutrients. His renal doctor recommended the Mediterranean Diet yesterday during an appointment.

Has anyone else tried this diet? I would love to hear your experience and any recipes you would like to share.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • jen-cueva

June 11, 2021 at 11:33 am

This is an older post, but I wanted to share this because of another conversation about the Mediterranean diet.

@colleensteele, interesting that his kidney doc suggested this diet. I ate many of the foods on this diet and had my previous kidney doctor not eat many of these foods. I was like, I won’t eat much then, LOL.

I changed kidney docs. I found this information related to CHK.

@kgrady69 shared another topic about her clinical trial that is based on diet and exercise. She is using the Mediterranean diet for this 12 week CT. Kathleen, any favorite recipes that you want to share?

I enjoy making bowls, so I made a greek chicken bowl with many ingredients from this diet.

Anyone else in the forums tried the Mediterranean diet? If not, are you interested in recipes and more facts about this diet?

• Kathleen Grady

June 11, 2021 at 12:06 pm

I have a ton! I have a nutritionist supplied by the hospital for this CT and so I have access to a lot of recipes from her and I also bought a cookbook.
    Let me know if you are interested in them I will do my best to get them together, probably not before my vacation though lol

• jen-cueva

June 14, 2021 at 10:47 am

Hi Kathleen,

That would be awesome. Yes, please share some of those favorite MD recipes that you enjoy. I like that many are simple or can be. That is important for many of us with limited “spoons”.

But, yes, of course, after your beach vacation, enjoy.

• Colleen

June 11, 2021 at 4:27 pm

@jenc I think his doctor recommended it because Cullen was going to extremes limiting what he was eating and drinking in an effort to control is BP. He explained to Cullen that his body does still need some of the foods found in the Mediterranean Diet and in moderation he thought Cullen would find more balance.

• jen-cueva

June 14, 2021 at 10:49 am

Thanks Colleen, for explaining that to me. I, too, can now eat many of those foods. My body is lacking, and unlike many with CKD, I do not have high blood pressure or diabetes, thankfully.

How is Cullen eating now? Has he found a balance in what he enjoys and takes in?

• jen-cueva

March 23, 2023 at 11:25 am

Hi @deetweedy, here is a topic that you may enjoy. You can also share your experiences or favorite low-sodium Mediterranean Diet recipes. What are some of your favorites on this specific diet?