Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Have you used a water trap for your oxygen tubing?

• Have you used a water trap for your oxygen tubing?

Posted by Colleen Steele on April 23, 2024 at 9:46 pm

A water trap consists of a chamber that accumulates water and prevents it from reaching the patient.

It’s been almost ten years since my son’s transplant and the need for oxygen. We were unaware if this device was available when he had PH. Someone inquired about water traps in a PH social media group, and that’s how I recently learned about them.

Here is a YouTube video I found informative about where to properly place a water trap and a video on how to empty it.

Have you had issues with water in your tubing, and if so, have you ever used a water trap?

jen-cueva replied 5 days, 10 hours ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 28, 2024 at 2:01 pm

We’ve received conflicting advice on where to put it and have since given up using one.

Putting it at the end of the tubing/beginning of the cannula means you have to drag that foolish thing with you all over the house.

• Colleen Steele

April 29, 2024 at 10:25 pm

@Blue I find it interesting, or I should say concerning, that from what I have read, video I have watched and what you shared of your own experience, that there really seems to be a lack of knowledge on how to effectively use this device. Even oxygen providers are conflicted on how to use it.

• jen-cueva

April 29, 2024 at 12:37 pm

Hi, @Colleen. Thanks for sharing this as a reminder. It’s too funny. I used this years ago for patients, but I’ve not used one myself.

The video suggests putting it at the end of the tubing before the cannula. But I’ve also used it between several tubes connected. For instance, there is a need for tubing between two 25- and 50-foot tubing for those who carry it in larger areas.

@Blue, there’s no wonder you’re confused. As Colleen shared in the video, RTs don’t know where to put one. It wasn’t that heavy before. But I also wasn’t carrying it t around all day. Do you find a lot of moisture in your tubing since you gave up trying this helpful device? Hopefully not.

• Colleen Steele

April 29, 2024 at 10:26 pm

@jen-cueva I really don’t recall it ever being offered or recommended for Cullen when he was on oxygen.

• jen-cueva

April 30, 2024 at 9:34 am

Yeah, @Colleen, they have a few different designs. The ones I used seemed a bit smaller. But I have not been recommended by my oxygen company, Apria. I had forgotten about these devices until you posted this question.

Hopefuly, many will learn about these and can ask their DME (or oxygen company) for one if they find their tubing with condensation. Thanks for this information.