Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Have you used music as therapy along with PH journey?

• Have you used music as therapy along with PH journey?

Posted by jen-cueva on April 13, 2020 at 11:31 am

Did you know that music can help with anxiety, depression, and aid in chronic healing? No matter what genré you listen to, it can be beneficial. On many occasions, music has become my therapy. In my recent column, I discuss how music has helped me in some of my worst times. Please feel free to read it and let us know your thoughts.

Have you had experience with using music therapy? Have your hospitals mentioned music as therapy? I would love to hear your stories.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • dawnt

April 14, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Hi Jen, I’ve never done ‘official’ music therapy but music has always been part of my life. My mom was usually singing as she did house chores. I played clarinet in school (but REALLY wanted to do drums), my grandmother made sure we kids got piano lessons. My grandparents had an organ, which has been mine since they passed on, and although I don’t play it nearly enough to play well it gives me comfort when I do play. So many good memories are tied to music for me, throughout my growing up and growing older to now. I think music is an ‘every mood’ thing. I love to sing, just not in public!

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2020 at 4:51 pm

Hi @dawnt, it certainly does not have to be “therapy” to be used as therapy and benefit our overall mental health. Music can just do that. I also played the clarinet only for one year then went to cheer. I did take piano lessons as a child. I cannot play today except maybe, “Mary had a little lamb.” -Hehe

We do have an old piano in our dining room, that is my hubby’s. He plays around on that as well with guitars.

Funny about not signing in public. I was the same until it came time for karaoke, that did not take me too much to get up and sing. That has been several years now. My signing certainly was not therapy. People probably needed therapy after listening to me. Hehe