• Have You Worn Compression Socks?

Posted by Colleen on July 30, 2020 at 3:43 pm

My son experiences pain in his ankles and lower legs which are attributed to his osteoporosis and kidney disease. My mom suggested compression socks but I didn’t him to try it without doctor approval first. His endocrinologist and nephrologist suggested them. They pointed out they aren’t so great for summer wear but he might get a lot of use out of them in the winter.

I don’t know if it’s an option for those with PH. Have you worn compression socks and if so, did you doctor approve? Did they help and if so, in what ways?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • jen-cueva

July 31, 2020 at 10:55 am

Hi @colleensteele, I have not yet worn any compression socks. But they have been suggested to me a few times to help with blood flow to my legs and feet. On this last hospitalization, one doctor suggested them, my kidney doc. The other docs, my PH doc said they would not be that helpful because I do not have orthostatic hypotension(lower BP when I stand). That was another thing that they were debating and I did not get an answer. I took what my PH team said in this case.

I have applied them on patients and they are not quick to apply. They also are very hot in the summer. I agree with his doctor who suggests trying them in the winter months. They may also take some getting used to. What does Cullen think about this?

• Carol Volckmann

July 31, 2020 at 2:51 pm

Hi Colleen, I have worn compression socks to reduce swelling and fluid build up when ever I was flying distances over an hour – they definately help with fluid build up and swelling. I did not think to ask my Pulmonologist nor Cardiologist. Since you brought this up, I would ask the docs. I agree with Jen@jenc, if Collen would ask his team to see if it would help him. Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs across the Sound!

• Colleen

July 31, 2020 at 4:48 pm

Thank you @jenc and @cdvol3gmail-com for your input. I appreciate it! Jen, Cullen would be willing to try them. I’m probably purchase a pair for him this fall for him. He doesn’t have significant swelling issues. I think he’s hoping more for something to help ease the pain he often feels. That tight feeling might do the trick. We will see.

• Dawn

August 2, 2020 at 4:54 pm

@colleensteele, I’ve worn compression socks for a couple years. I’ve had swelling of my lower legs, ankles, feet at night for a long time. Mine were recommended by my cardiologist and my ph dr said to keep using them when I was diagnosed with the ph. I don’t use the ones that @jenc speaks of, that feel like they’re 10 sizes too small, but even the ones I use make a huge difference. With the socks my legs don’t seem to get as tired as quickly, and they definitely help with the swelling of my ankles and feet. Without the socks my ankles and feet can get pretty tight from swelling, and that can be more uncomfortable than someone might think. They can be warm, but since most of my swelling is mid calf and lower I just pull them down to there instead of up to my knees when I notice being too warm. Another thing that helps a lot, but I’m not sure it would help Cullen or not, is sleeping with a wedge pillow that keeps my lower legs/feet up at night instead of flat on the bed. I would definitely get the doctor’s approval for the socks and/or wedge pillow before trying them.

• Colleen

August 3, 2020 at 2:32 pm

Thank you for the information @dawnt! His cardiologist and nephrologist recommended the compression socks so he is good to guy in giving them a try. I appreciate that you mentioned how your legs get less tires when wearing them. That is a big issue for Cullen. He would exercise more if his legs didn’t give out on him so quickly. He is going to wait until the Fall when things cool down before he wears them. I’ll update at that time. I will also ask his doctors about the wedge!

• jen-cueva

August 3, 2020 at 6:08 pm

@dawnt, do you have the name of the ones that you use? I think if they are not like the ones that I am referring too, they would not be bad.

I also like the suggestion of a wedge. I had one, but now my bed is adjustable, so I use that for my head and legs. I still often sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs.

@colleensteele, I am glad that Cullen will give them a try in the Fall. Can y’all believe that is just around the corner?

• Dawn

August 3, 2020 at 9:24 pm

@jenc, I get my compression socks from walmart. The ones I really like are ‘medipeds’. Walmart has some of the ones with the higher pressure too, which I tried, but couldn’t even get them up to my ankles. I asked my ph dr in March when I went to Hopkins and he said the other ones I get at walmart are fine and I don’t need the super high pressure ones. Honestly I don’t think I could keep the really high pressure ones on for any length of time.
    @colleensteele, I think my legs getting so tired often bothers me more than the breathing issues. They slow me down more than the breathing, I think, because it gets to feel like I can’t take another step. I used to be able to keep working outside or at the farm for hours & hours, but not now. I’m not sure if it’s an oxygen thing, or swelling, but sometimes my legs & feet just throb at night to the point they make it hard to sleep. I’ve found that a tylenol and the wedge pillow help me get to sleep. By morning then it’s ok again, but very frustrating.

• jen-cueva

August 4, 2020 at 9:24 am

Thanks, @dawnt, I will have my hubby look at Walmart, or I will order them online. I am grateful that those are more comfortable than the ones that I am referring to.

I often feel like my legs get heavy like lead. Between that and my leg pain, I still think that these could offer me a little relief. Once I get some answers regarding my health and the tests, I am hoping to start trying to walk more. That has been a goal all year. My leg pains did not get too awful until the last few years, and my medications changed. I take gabapentin 3 x per day to help with the leg pains caused by medications.

Since you stay pretty active, does that help? It sounds like you have noticed a change in how much you can do at the farm. When do you see your doc again? You may want to mention this change if it has happened suddenly, especially.

• Ohio Cathy

August 4, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Hello:
    I’d like to recommend wearing compression socks.
    I was advised to get them before I was diagnosed with PH due
    to swelling in my legs and ankles. I still wear them everyday…
    and they really feel good; even in summer, but I’m not outside
    in the heat alot. I was measured at a medical supply store for
    the first pair and they are a little more expensive there but
    they advise you on using and wearing them. I bought new ones at Amazon
    and the brand I use is Mediven…..they are pricey but worth it.
    I also found a gadget to help put them on at Amazon…..you really
    need that because they are hard to put on. They can be washed and last
    up to a year. The initial doctor advised me to put them on the minute I
    get up in the morning and keep on til I go to bed.

Thanks for your attention to this. I am still working on this
    diagnosis of PH and learn from all the input here.

• Jimi Mcintosh

August 4, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Been wearing compression hose or over 10 years they help control
    The swelling and leg fatigue. Currently
    wearing 20-30 as prescribed, cannot wear more than 10 hrs. Found some at Ollies for $2.99 pr they can cost over $50.00/ pr. Occasionally I wear the hip length ones and they help with the thighs.
    The socks come in men dress black and brown, sweat socks in black and white Nude and semi-shear white.

If prescribed they will help the swelling and fatigue. Other than that elevate the ankles higher than the heart to improve blood flow

• jen-cueva

August 5, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Hi @cathyhayes, It sounds like you were the compression hose versus the socks. When you said you are you measured for them and takes a bit to get on, it seems like the ones that I am familiar with as I helped many patients apply them through the years. I am grateful that you and your doctor both agree that these are something that benefits you. Yes, most patients I had started to wear them from morning to midday then from morning to bedtime. Usually, they would have a few pairs, so one pair could be washed as the other set was being worn.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• jen-cueva

August 5, 2020 at 3:48 pm

Thanks, @jimi, yes, I do try to keep my feet and legs elevated off and on during the day. At night, I have an adjustable bed and elevate and use pillows between my legs to help with this, too.

Days when I am not up as much, I have less swelling. That is, unless, I tend to go outside and the heat adds to the swelling, in my case. Do you find that, too?

• Jimi Mcintosh

August 6, 2020 at 5:26 pm

I was originally prescribed the thigh high that were semi-sheer from foot to thigh after hip replacement. They really helped only issue was my fear of passing out and when I got to the OR. I have tried prescription and none prescription, they make a difference, I looked and I have 2 pair that look like the knee socks that the NFL wears. Cullen after a few days, you will feel like getting back in the game, positive blood flow will make you more energetic

• Colleen

August 6, 2020 at 7:48 pm

@cathyhayes I hadn’t researched the cost of them yet but if he’s going to get them, I want him to have a good pair. I will look into the Mediven brand. I’m glad you mentioned the gadget because I wouldn’t have known to look into that either. Actually, I also didn’t think about getting him measured for them. We do have a medical supply store near us so I will check with them.

@jimi I had no idea you can get a prescription for compression socks. His doctors are the ones who recommended them but never mentioned a prescription.

I’m so glad I posted about this. All of you are giving great advice. Thank you!

• Jimi Mcintosh

August 7, 2020 at 10:36 am

Yes they are rather expensive on a prescription, Walmart does have some in the pharmacy in 10-20, that are not to tight and will allow Cullen to see if he likes them, generally 2 or for less than $20. I buy the Dr Scholls at Ollies for $2.99/ pr s, m,l, colors black, brown and nude, knee length. They are comparable to the $75.00 on script. Get you a pair they will help your circulation too as you are doing the “mommy “ thing, handling 10 chores at a time

• Colleen

August 7, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Funny you mentioned that @jimi. I was thinking that I might benefit from them too. I have rheumatoid arthritis that often attacks my ankles and knees. Thanks for the information. I think I will buy them on my own first and if he likes them I will look into getting a prescription.

• jen-cueva

August 7, 2020 at 4:05 pm

Hi @jimi, what is Ollies? IOs this an online site? I have never heard of that before.

I love how you say, “after a few days, Cullen will feel like getting back in the game.”

Yes, I bet most of us could benefit from wearing these. My hubby is prediabetic and had the emergency stents, I have suggested them for him at work, he has not listened, yet, hehe.

• Dawn

August 7, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Hi @jenc, a little late getting back to you on this. My legs getting so tired were a big indicator to me that something was wrong and drove me to get checked for what was wrong. Between the ph medication and oxygen it’s gotten a little better but still not like it was before. I’m sure part of that is my knee as well because after trying knee injections a year or so ago I feel my knee pain is worse than before the shots. I wish I wouldn’t have tried the shots, but can’t go back and change it now. I’ve let my doctors know right along about my legs, so they are well aware and it’s nothing that is all of a sudden worse. It’s just really irritating.

• Jimi Mcintosh

August 7, 2020 at 8:31 pm

If you are having pain, check to see if they are red and warm to hot to touch, this is indicative of a blood clot. 1st symptom is leg fatigue, ankle or foot pain, dull pains in calf’s. Better safe than sorry. I had similar pain, cardiologist said it was muscle fatigue , my wife insisted on a doplier and they found a lot behind the knee

• Jimi Mcintosh

August 7, 2020 at 8:46 pm

If you are having pain, check to see if they are red and warm to hot to touch, this is indicative of a blood clot. 1st symptom is leg fatigue, ankle or foot pain, dull pains in calf’s. Better safe than sorry. I had similar pain, cardiologist said it was muscle fatigue , my wife insisted on a doplier and they found a lot behind the knee PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

compression socks women
    Are your foot problems affecting the quality of your daily life?

Yet offers you excellent compression and support for your foot?

FINALLY! CHARMKING COMPRESSION SOCKS THAT FIT JUST RIGHT!

Perfect for a whole week without daily wash. It is ideal for those who sit for long period during travel or at work, provide mild squeezing of warmness and enhance blood circulation in your legs.

• Sandy

August 11, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Hi everyone. I’m a pretty newly diagnosed PH patient and have been experiencing the same feet, ankle and calf swelling and the leg pain/fatigue that many of you have mentioned. So I’ve bitten the bullet and followed my doctor’s suggestion that I wear compression hose. For women who are wearing capri pants at this time of year, they can be pretty stodgy looking so I decided if I was going to have to wear these things, I’m going to have some fun with it. I just received my order from Walmart that includes a pair in bright puzzle pieces, one pain with bright horizontal stripes, and another pair of navy blue with aqua colored cacti on them. I love them! They are funky and fun and yes, they keep the swelling at bay and make my legs and feet feel SO much better. There are lots of fun colors and patterns online.
    Thanks for all of the info on this sight . . . it’s very helpful since I’m really new to the learning curve. Be well everyone.

• Colleen

August 12, 2020 at 2:31 pm

@sandydenn I LOVE your fun sense of style! I say good for you! From what everyone is saying about the compression socks I am hopeful that they are going to help my son. Not sure how bold he will want to go with color and design but hey, you never know. I’ll have him check them out on-line at Walmart. Thanks Sandy!

• jen-cueva

August 12, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Hi @sandydenn, I am excited to check out the fashionable compression socks that you describe. Like, @colleensteele, I love your sense of fashion. We might as well look good, right?