Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions Have Your Heard Of Or Used the Cefaly for migraines?

• Have Your Heard Of Or Used the Cefaly for migraines?

Posted by Colleen on September 21, 2020 at 4:58 pm

My son has been battling migraines since he was 8 and they continued post transplant. He is on a medication that has helped tremendously but both his pediatric and adult doctors have mentioned the Cefaly as an option. We are keeping it in mind if his headaches become uncontrollable again or the side-effects from meds too bothersome.

The Cefaly looks like something out of Star Trek. It sends tiny electrical impulses through a self-adhesive electrode placed on the forehead to stimulate the trigeminal nerve, reducing the frequency and intensity of migraine attacks. The down side is insurance doesn’t cover it.

I’m curious if anyone has heard of it before or used it?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 22, 2020 at 11:16 am

Hi @colleensteele, I am so happy that the doctor allows Cullen to stay on the same med working for him. I know how worried you were about this.

I have not heard of that one but will have to read about it now. My hubby has migraines and took Imitrex in the past. He is not on meds now. I am hoping that he does not have any significant migraines.

Wow, it does look like something out of Star Trek, great description, lol!

Here is the link for the Cefaly website so others can see what you are talking about. It is quite an interesting device. I cannot wait to show it to my hubby. What did Cullen have to say about this device?

• Colleen

September 22, 2020 at 7:24 pm

@jenc we considered it a few years ago and he was up for trying it. Like I mentioned though, insurance doesn’t cover it.

Cullen is on Topamax (Topiramate), has been for many years now. It has really helped him. Now that his blood pressure is finally under control his headaches are even fewer now. Unless he starts having real issues again we probably won’t consider the Cefaly. I was just curious if anyone has used it. According to his pediatric and adult doctors many of their patients do use it and find it effective.

I think Imitrex was mentioned but not an option for Cullen due to transplant.

• jen-cueva

September 23, 2020 at 10:45 am

Thanks for sharing this @colleensteele. I thought that we had several here who struggle with migraines, too. It certainly is a unique looking device. You were on point with that description, that is why I had to share the link after I saw it, hehe.

I am grateful that Cullen’s migraines are under control. I am sure that elevated BP did not help that. Topamax is an older med that I remember many taking it back when I was working. Did his migraines come before of after his transplant?