• Heart Failure And IV Milrinone

Posted by Colleen on May 19, 2020 at 10:35 am

I believe several of our members have experienced heart failure. My son was in right side heart failure prior to transplant and was placed on IV Milrinone. He was able to return home with it (and still on IV Flolan) and go to school. This meant two pumps and two lines running in his at all times, but he managed. My husband I took care of the treatments with the help of a home nurse who visited a few times a week.

Has anyone else been treated with IV Milrinone or discussed the option with your doctor? What was your experience like?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

May 19, 2020 at 11:54 am

@colleensteele, a PHriend of mine, was on IV Milrinone for a while. She was started on it at the hospital. She had to stay almost a week before she could go home with it. She also had a home health nurse.

I cannot even begin to imagine how this must of ben for Cullen at such a young age. He had 2 lines and attended school. I am sure that it was not easy for you and your husband either. How long did he have the 2 lines? I have only heard of it for short-term uses.

My old PH doctor mentioned this treatment once, but my BP was not stable enough for this treatment. I also know it affects potassium. Did Cullen need potassium when he was on this treatment for CHF?