Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Transplantation How Are Bill And Steve Doing?

• How Are Bill And Steve Doing?

Posted by Colleen on December 4, 2020 at 5:51 pm

@bill-jones how are you doing since you received your transplant?

@exjarhead57730 last I heard you experienced a dry run. How are you doing since then?

We are still here to support both of you.

carol-volckmann replied 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Steve Sallee

December 5, 2020 at 8:56 am

Thank you for asking, Colleen. Still waiting for another donor. Funny how this seems to be turning into the hardest thing I have ever experienced. Thought those days had come and gone. I seem to be spending my days worried about finances. I am dealing with the red tape of the social security administration, the governor turning down federal aid money because “South Dakota doesn’t need it” (I sure could have used it). I am very thankful to all you taxpayers who fund the VA, however. Without you I wouldn’t be here in Seattle at all. I have never needed financial assistance before, but I did have to put pride aside and start a GoFundMe. It has helped but is now stalled. Surrender is not in a Marine’s vocabulary so I will hang in here for as long as possible. My girlfriend Carol has unselfishly stayed with me as my caregiver all this time. I will draw the line and go home if it looks like she will not have a place to come home to.

• Colleen

December 7, 2020 at 12:27 pm

@exjarhead57730 I’m so sorry that on top of the stress of waiting for a donor you are worrying about your finances. I understand and wish there were fundraising options for adults like there are for pediatric patients. We knew we would struggle financially so we raised money through COTA (Children’s Organ Transplant Association). However, due to Covid I would imagine organizing fundraisers would be a real challenge right now. Try asking one person every few weeks or so to re-share your GoFundME and make sure they tag you in it. Use as many social media forms as you can…Facebook, Instagram, etc.. Space the postings out because if people see it too often they well just keep scrolling….and try new wording each time. I wish I had more advice to offer than that.

I’m glad you have your girlfriend, Carol. Are you in the hospital waiting for transplant? Is Carol able to visit with you?

Keep us updated and if you feel comfortable doing so, ask Carol if she can post here “WHEN” you receive your transplant. I’m keeping you in my prayers.

• v-r-peterson

December 8, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Steve, I’m praying that you find a donor and finances improve.

• Steve Sallee

December 9, 2020 at 1:02 pm

Thanks. Was hoping this GoFundMe would have done better. We will stay here for as long as we can.

• carol-volckmann

December 10, 2020 at 5:41 pm

Hi Steve, Colleen has some really good ideas in reaching out, and stretching out to as many GoFundMe outlets you can. It doesn’t hurt to see if you can tell your story to the local media ( special interest story). Never hurts to ask. You are in my prayers for a donor and help financially! Wishing you and Carol the very best – marines don’t give up!