Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH How Are Things in Your Area Now ?

• How Are Things in Your Area Now ?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 1, 2020 at 3:18 pm

If you had asked me in March, I would not have even thought that we would still be dealing with a pandemic come September. But here we are. I am grateful to see that some small areas are moving forward, and the cases are starting to stabilize and decrease some.

What about in your area? How are things going? Are places opening back up? Are you going out more or about the same? Have you noticed any bits of “normalcy” where you are? How do you feel about this? Let’s talk about this.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 32 Replies
  • 32 Replies
  • Colleen

September 1, 2020 at 4:14 pm

@jenc things look more normal in my area of WA and it concerns me. People are reacting to things opening up again by “pretending” to wear their masks and social distance while enjoying their favorite outings. Some people remind me of teens who leave the house dressed according to their parents rules then change into something less respectable the moment they can. Know what I mean? When people think they are being watched or are posing for social media, they look like they are being cautious when in reality they tend to let their guard down while enjoying their friends and activities.

I haven’t been going anywhere. Cullen’s unrelated health concerns last month is making me even more cautious about where I go and who I come in contact with.

• jen-cueva

September 2, 2020 at 10:16 am

Hi @colleensteele, I see the same here in Texas. I have been to celebrate KK’s birthday at an outdoor seating dining option that was pretty much empty, but still, I was nervous. I am in great need to get my hair done, but until my hair girl says she can do mine before she opens one day, I am still waiting.

I t can be frustrating with all of the mix of information. I do still see adults going into grocery stores and places with no masks. I often ride with Manny to do errands and sit in the vehicle. It is interesting to watch people. I notice here some are doing well and trying to follow the guidelines, others, they were born to break the rules, I guess.

I think it would be helpful for us all to feel safer if ALL followed the guidelines.

I do understand the analogy about teens above, too funny and probably true. Today, my daughter is coming to pick me up to get a coffee thru the drive-thru. But, if our fave place was empty outside or inside, we could stay a few minutes.

I am sure that after last month, you are a bit more nervous and taking even more precautions if that is possible. We will all get through this one day at a time. <3

• Colleen

September 2, 2020 at 12:39 pm

@jenc I shouldn’t make it sound like no one is following the guidelines, but I think the mask-wearing – social distancing is ineffective if we aren’t all doing our part. I know you are very careful and I’m happy for you that you have found safe opportunities to enjoy time with your loved ones.

I’ve been feeling down because my closest friends haven’t been inviting me to things. Brian tells me I should be appreciative that they understand how cautious I have to be…but still, would be nice to at least be asked to things so I don’t feel forgotten.

That being said, I have been invited to something. A friend sent a FB invite to “Luck O’ The Irish Sip & Stroll” two Saturday’s from now. It’s to support local businesses and wineries. Sounds like so much fun and I’m so tempted, but it really doesn’t sound like an easy to social distance type of event. I haven’t RSVP’d yet but I’m sure it will end up being a no for me. Plus I ask Cullen his opinion about things and if he thinks it’s not safe enough, I don’t go. He is the one at most risk in our family so I consider his opinion even above my own.

Enjoy your time with your daughter today. I hope you found a spot to sit and enjoy your coffee.

• jen-cueva

September 2, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Thanks, @colleensteele, we did get an iced pumpkin pie spice latte with almond milk, her treat. 😀 But we drove by the lake on the way there and back, and she stayed a little to visit after we got back home. Those are the best times.

Yes, I can understand how you feel left out. My sisters and their families attend many events. I have a dilemma this weekend that my Dad wants to come to town. I am excited, but my anxiety is high. My sisters and their families do not practice social distancing very well. I am worried about my Dad driving 8 hours across stats lines an then being here around everyone, too. Usually, we do a family gathering, but this time, I am unsure. Plus, I think this is his first visit here this year. So, I am torn.

That event sounds like so much fun. If there is social distancing, maybe there will be, perhaps you can go. But, I know what you mean that it felt good to be “included.” Please keep us posted and let us know what Cullen thinks. I am grateful that he used his SBUX last weekend. 😀

• melissa-egtsgmail-com

September 4, 2020 at 5:45 am

We have been under a mask mandate for about a month. My daughter and husband have been out a bit more. I got overconfident and went out to Walmart at 2:00 in the afternoon. I had this beautiful sense of normalcy walking into the store with everyone wearing a mask and I was looking forward to it. But once inside and away from the main entrance I kept going past people who had pulled their mask down, completely off or only over their mouth. I got nervous and left early. No hair-color for me! Has anyone else gone gray because of the pandemic? Do you like it? Some people look really good.

• sandy

September 7, 2020 at 1:45 pm

Here is western NC, it’s a mixed bag . . . people without masks at all, people wearing them improperly, and people completely compliant with proper masking and social distancing. I’ve joined an app called “Next Door” where folks share community news and one of the things we share is where it is safe to shop or eat. It’s been really helpful because I refuse to compromise on my safety due to some folks wanting their independence. I’ve found the grocery store in my area where staff and shoppers are all onboard as well as a few places to eat on restaurant patios where waiters and kitchen staff are all masked and responsible. It takes some research but it’s worth it to be able to enjoy the experience of getting out and feeling safe.

Be well everyone.

• Colleen

September 8, 2020 at 12:55 pm

@jenc did your dad get to drive out and visit with you? I understand how torn you felt between wanting to see you dad but not thrilled with the idea of going the long drive. My parents live in NJ and they have driven out to WA many, many times over the years to see us (they don’t like flying). My dad has been hinting that he is thinking of doing it again – my dad just turned 90! Granted, he is young at heart for his age but that’s an awful long trip and I would be so worried.

Did I read on FB that you had heart palpitations this weekend? Are you feeling better? What do you think caused them (and don’t say potato skins, LOL!).

I’m not going to attend the Sip N Stroll. I talked to my friend who told me she felt really bad not inviting me to the girls weekend but she knew I probably couldn’t go. She also admitted that it would make her too nervous if she got together with me right now because if she gave me Covid she would never forgive herself. I also found out that a friend of ours and her husband had Covid 6 weeks ago and she is the one who invited me to Sip N Stroll. Between her having had it and the crowds that we will probably run into, I’m opting out.

• Colleen

September 8, 2020 at 1:02 pm

@melissa-egtsgmail-com my area is under a mask mandate too but seems to not mean anything to so many. Like you mentioned, some people count “wearing” their mask if it’s under their nose or resting on their chin. We order delivery as much as possible. Is there a supermarket that sells your hair product so that you can maybe have it delivered?

I’m fortunate to have my dad’s hair and haven’t started graying yet but my long hair needs a dead end trim really bad. I’ve gone to the hairdresser once since the epidemic. My hairdresser is a small, privately owned shop. I was the only client at the time and we both wore masks. I’m thinking about scheduling another appointment soon.

• Colleen

September 8, 2020 at 1:10 pm

@sandydenn I assume that app is specific to just your area? It’s not a nation wide app, right? I’m going to have to research and try and find one for my area in WA state. That sounds really helpful.

• Colleen

September 8, 2020 at 1:10 pm

@sandydenn I assume that app is specific to just your area? It’s not a nation wide app, right? I’m going to have to research and try and find one for my area in WA state. That sounds really helpful.

• sandy

September 8, 2020 at 1:41 pm

Colleen, it’s a nationwide app. You can Google Next Door on your phone and load the app for free. It’s very, very helpful to keep up with happenings in your immediate area, i.e. COVID safety measures, animal sightings, events, fresh produce for sale, criminal activity, etc. I use it often and simply mute the people whose posts I find inappropriate or negative (There’s a feature on the app to do that.). Hope you like it.

• sally-hoffman

September 8, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Hi Colleen and Jen. Colleen I am sorry I didn’t respond to your good wishes, but I decided I would wait until I had good news. The stent was placed today and surgeon says all is well. So thank you late. I have been following you and Cullen for about two years. Even my husband, Roger, asks about Cullen.

As far as masks are concerned, all the businesses in Sarasota and Manatee have a mask mandate. Roger says now, most adhere to it inside the stores. For two years now, not just covid I haven’t been anywhere but to play cards with friends, before covid, and only doctors and my hairdresser who only allows one person in at a time. They also clean between people.

• denise-k-thompson

September 8, 2020 at 3:20 pm

I have yet to venture out in public, except doc visits. My nextdoor site has its mask decryers & it drives me nuts. We’ve had a mask mandate since April. It remains political, some choosing to believe it’s a democratic scam to make Trump lose the election. It’s a dangerous notion.

My area now has the complications of many wildfires. Last week I was asked about fires in Oregon and was pleased to say we had not been that badly affected in my area. As of yesterday my small town of McMinnville is surrounded on all sides and the sun no longer shines. The winds whip with hurricane-force and my house smells like a wood stove. I’m going out today to the doctor and will be putting a folded coffee filter in my cloth mask. I’ve been wearing my oxygen in the daytime when I usually don’t need it.

Young Folks in my county are the spreaders of covid-19 at this time. The numbers from 0 to 29 seem to soar, unfortunately some young folks have passed.

Stay safe, my comrades in disease, my prayers are with you.

• carol-volckmann

September 8, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Every time I read in the news where businesses, schools, events start to open up 2 weeks later they have to close down again. Even where there is a State wide mandate to wear a mask there still those who refuse. As Collen said if some are not wearing a proper mask though we might, we are being exposed. We have not seen our daughter or our grand children since February – just cannot take a chance. If we do visit with someone we wear our masks and face shields though they wear just a mask.

Jen, what is this about you having heart palpitations this last weekend? Have you seen your doc or called them? You have so much going on right now, you certainly do not need one more on your lis

Sending warm hugs to you all – please keep safe!

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hi @sandydenn, that app sounds familiar. I do think that we have one in our neighborhood. We also have a community FB page. When this first started, they had a page with small local businesses that were struggling. Mostly restaurants. They were offering food to go, etc., to stay afloat. I had only ordered one. Have y’all used anything like that? Some of the meals were made as”family” meals and looked amazing! With just 2 of us, $40 was expensive, plus who knows how many leftovers we would have, hehe.

I am happy that you are finding places to go that you feel are safe. I know here in Texas, just people watching from the car, people are not all following the guidelines.

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2020 at 4:26 pm

Hi @colleensteele, yes, my dad did end up coming to visit. He stayed at my sister’s house. My niece brought him over to visit for a few hours on Saturday. We did a social distance visit. He kept almost was sitting on top of my niece as they were across the room from me on the couch. I was happy to see him. They had a gathering with friends and my other sister and her family later that evening. Of course, we did not attend. But, I was grateful to see him.

Yes, hehe and no, it was not the potato skins, hehe. It has been off and on for a few days. I did call my PH nurse, but not until about an hour ago. My Monday got busy fast. I do tend to have them off and on. So Labor Day was no labor at all for me. I was on the couch.

I am sorry that you are missing the Sip N stroll, but it sounds like you made the best decision. It is not fun missing out, I know. Maybe next year?

• Colleen

September 9, 2020 at 8:54 pm

@jenc funny/not funny…we were messaging each other in the morning about the potato skins then later that night I read your post about palpitations. I was like…ah oh! I hope I’m not in trouble. LOL!

I’m so happy for you that you got to see your dad. I’m sure it meant the world to him too! Little moments like that can mean so much.

Praying you get some relief from those palpitations. Don’t let yourself get too busy when you are feeling that way.

• Colleen

September 9, 2020 at 9:00 pm

@mainegal I am so happy to hear that the stent placement went well! I hope it will help you. Let us know how you are feeling as time goes by.

I’m always so touched when people tell me they have been following Cullen’s story for a number of years. That means so much to me. We appreciate the support and also hope that his experiences help others in some way. Thank you Sally and Roger!

• Colleen

September 9, 2020 at 9:25 pm

@dinky1952 the fires in Oregon, CA and WA state are heartbreaking and the smoke is a serious problem. I live 20 minutes away from the area in WA that has been battling fires. We have had to keep our windows closed. The house is so hot and all the fans do is blow the hot air around. Stay safe Denise. I hope your doctor appointment went well.

• Colleen

September 9, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Thank you @sandydenn for telling me about the app and tips on how to sift through the negativity. I’m going to check it out this weekend!

• jen-cueva

September 10, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Haha @colleensteele, yep, I will blame you. JK, it was not them as I only ate a little. But it started before I ate them.

Yes, I am so happy that I got to see my dad. Although, I ould not make the gathering that evening. Those are the best memories and I am grateful that my 16-year-old niece drove him over for that visit.

But, it does suck not to be able to partcipate in things like family gatherings. I know that you know this all too well.

• denise-k-thompson

September 10, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Colleen Steele, Sounds like you have direct understanding about our fire situation. Weather bug tells me we are 15 miles from the closest fire. Smoke goes all the way to the valley floor today with ash falling. Smells strongly of campfire & makes you cough if you inhale it. Advise is to seal house & keep ac powered up. I have another doc appt today & will keep my coffee filter inside my mask. My appt on Tues showed my room air o2 was lower than usual, maybe because of smoke. If the same today, will update o2 order & get portable o2 so I can feel not so helpless without it when I need to venture out. Thanks for caring. Please stay safe. When they evacuated Medford yesterday, the reality of of our state burning down came abruptly to the forefront, although several smaller towns had already been wiped off the map.

• Colleen

September 10, 2020 at 7:10 pm

@dinky1952 update every now and then to let us know you are ok. I’m very concerned for you. I’m curious about the coffee filter in the mask. I haven’t heard of that before – where did you get the idea? Can you tell me more about how it helps because I might have my son start doing the same.

• denise-k-thompson

September 10, 2020 at 7:41 pm

Colleen Steele. I heard about folding a traditional coffee filter early on, but find that cone filters work perfectly with a homemade cloth mask. Today I noticed a marked difference in just the smell of smoke with or without the filter.
    Thanks for your concern about the fires. Airnow.gov has our town & Salem beyond calculable measures for dangerous air. Can’t find it that bad anywhere, even in San Francisco that is talked so much about on national news. Things have to get better.

Page 1 of 2