Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH How Are You Dealing With Anxiety Caused By Life’s Uncertainties?

• How Are You Dealing With Anxiety Caused By Life’s Uncertainties?

Posted by jen-cueva on March 30, 2020 at 11:34 am

I am sure that I am not alone when I talk about the anxiety that I feel facing life’s uncertainties.  Living with PH, you would think that this would be easier. Do you feel like it helps you during this uncertain time, related to toCOVID-19?

I would like to share my recent column where I write about this. Please share your comments and thoughts with us on this topic. I hope that y’all enjoy it.

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

March 30, 2020 at 11:37 am

Hi Jen,

This is definitely a big one for me lately. Something that really helps me in times of acute worry or stress if to make sure to find some time for myself during the day. A lot of my time doing things that I want to do can get clouded by what is upcoming. When I start looking too far out into the future or just past the day, my anxiety can get the best of me. Doing things for myself allows me to stay grounded in the moment too. I like to listen to music, chat with my friends, and like to write to get my mind off of things. What helps you that you like to do?

• jen-cueva

March 30, 2020 at 1:58 pm

Hey Brittany,
    I think that most of us are struggling with this. I also like to take the time to go out back and soak up a little sun when I can by the pool. I also try to do my yoga and or stretching with calming music several times per week. Writing can also be therapeutic. Music is a great help that you mention. Music helps me in many ways at different times. It is strange how well certain songs seem to resonate and help me during difficult times. Do you find this happens to you?

• Brittany Foster

March 30, 2020 at 3:35 pm

@jenc oh yes! I definitely know what you mean about listening to music that is fitting for what we may be going through. It seems like some songs just pop into our life at the right moment too. Last year right before my surgery, I got introduced to more songs from Sia and I fell in love with all of her music. I am now such a huge fan and would love to see her in person one day ! Not sure if she has any upcoming tours but I’ll have to keep my eye out. I know she doesn’t sing facing the crowd though and it’s more like watching a performance while she sings hidden which is a pretty cool concept and reasoning behind it. I’ve watched her documentary and she’s pretty awesome and has been through so much.

• Colleen

March 30, 2020 at 7:22 pm

@jenc and @brittany-foster anxiety over uncertainty has been the cause of my insomnia. Music has always been my go-to, really on a daily basis, through both the good and bad times.

I’ve also been limiting my social media time lately except for my new guilty pleasure. I can’t believe I am going to own up to this! I – joined – TikTok! My boys are appalled but I don’t care. Yes, I posted a few videos of my pets, which failed miserably, but I mainly go on there to look at the funny stuff people share.

My favorites are the animal videos. I laugh to the point of tears. It’s weird to say, but it’s helped with my anxiety.

• Brittany Foster

March 31, 2020 at 8:05 am

@colleensteele I definitely understand what you mean by it helping your anxiety! It has helped mine too. I think a lot of it is the mindless scrolling that happens too with tik tok or with social media that has you scroll through things. I think that’s why I love Pinterest so much. I usually get on Pinterest and just “pin” things to my board at night right before going to bed and it just clears my head of other things that could be going on. I need to get a computer with a better light though so that it doesn’t hurt my eyes. My eyesight has been bad lately!

• jen-cueva

March 31, 2020 at 3:13 pm

@brittany-foster and @colleensteele music does help. I listen to music almost daily. It seems to depend on my mood. I have started writing about that, too.

Colleen, I only have seen Tik Tok videos that others have posted. I will have to check yours out, did you post them? It is funny that the boys are appalled. My daughter is not always happy when I am trying new things, lol – (Mainly because I ask for her help, LOL) I am pleased to hear that it helps with anxiety and insomnia. Laughter is the best medicine, so keep enjoying Colleen!

Too funny that like Brittany, I look at Pinterest often at night before bed. It is usually food or house stuff that I pin. I also read other’s columns at night.