Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members How Are You Dealing With Hospital Policy Changes?

• How Are You Dealing With Hospital Policy Changes?

Posted by Colleen on August 21, 2020 at 8:00 am

Have you stayed at the hospital with your loved one since the Covid-19 epidemic? Things are different now, especially for caregivers. Once you are in the patients room you can’t leave to stretch your legs, go to the cafeteria or cafe, run out to your car for something, even step out to the nurses station, One you leave the room that is considered the end of your visit and you aren’t allowed back until the following day.

I’m at the hospital with my son right now. I appreciate the rules because they are trying to keep their patients safe. I do miss do things. I wish I could leave for 15 minutes to get a coffee. Most of all I wish I could leave the room to talk to people on the phone without disturbing Cullen. I also can’t share concerns with my husband without Cullen overhearing it.

I am just grateful that I’m allowed to stay with him. If I couldn’t that would be a bigger deal than lack of caffeine or private phone conversations.

What has your most recent hospital stay been like? Have you struggled with any new hospital policies or have you managed without an issue?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 21, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I am happy that you can stay with Cullen. But, still, I know you must stay there because once you leave, you cannot return until the following day. My hubby was not allowed after day 1, he snuck in day 2, and the last 2 days, he was turned away.

These new rules are to protect the patients, but it can be difficult for caregivers and loved ones needing to go home, shower, get meds, etc. I was not happy that my hubby was not with me. At least I was not out of it and could answer and know what was going on. I think that he had a tougher time than I did with this.

Will they only allow one person per day there? Like, can your hubby or son come to visit one day? Are y’all planning to go home tomorrow still? Thinking of y’all and prayers continue.

• jen-cueva

October 8, 2020 at 11:09 am

What an important topic. I know for me, not having my hubby with me for a few days was difficult. He is always there, and most of the time, will sleep at the hospital. I cannot imagine a young child and not having anyone with them. Often, I have heard that one visitor per day.

I hope that not many have needed to be hospitalized, but know many have. How are the policies in your area? Please share your experience with the hospital policy changes.