Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH How Can I Tell If I Have Allergies, The Flu, A Cold, or COVID-19?

• How Can I Tell If I Have Allergies, The Flu, A Cold, or COVID-19?

Posted by jen-cueva on March 19, 2020 at 5:17 pm

It may be tough to tell if you are suffering from seasonal allergies, the flu, a cold, or the coronavirus (COVID-19). I read this informative article that discusses the differences between them all. I don’t know about y’all, but here in Texas, the tree pollen has been horrible. Seasonal allergies are the norm as Spring blows in. I hope that y’all find this helpful.

Have you had times when you are curious about symptoms that are experiencing? It can be difficult when we are concerned about COVID-19. This is only helpful tips; if you have concerns, please reach out to your medical team.

jen-cueva replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 14, 2020 at 4:13 pm

As we have been in a heavy allergy season and coming into the flu season, I wanted to bring this up again to see if anyone has any thoughts. Personally, this week, I had my hubby tested for COVID because his seasonal allergies were combined with a few other symptoms that were common with COVID. he suffers from seasonal allergies twice each year and requires allergy shots. This time, the new symptoms concerned his doctor and me, so they tested him. Thankfully this was negative, but it is just a warning for others, too.

It is difficult to determine if a new symptom is COVID-related, allergy, flu, or for us, PH. This is why I decided to share this article again, in case some missed it.

• Colleen

October 14, 2020 at 8:08 pm

@jenc this is such a valuable topic right now. I’m so glad your husband tested negative for Covid. As you know, Aidan has had us concerned two times so I know what it’s like to fear the worst. Is anything helping his symptoms? I’m so sorry he isn’t feeling well.

Cullen and I have had our what if’s too. We have days when we feel fine then out of the blue our throats will hurt, a slight cough develops followed by a few sneezes. This year it’s hard not to freak out when this happens. We both often react to change of season too so I believe that has been the culprit.

I’m the only one in the family who has received the flu shot so far. They all need to get it ASAP…especially Cullen! Have you and your hubby received yours?

• jen-cueva

October 15, 2020 at 11:17 am

Thanks, @colleensteele; last week, his doctor gave him Prednisone, an inhaler, a steroid shot, and a nasal spray. Sadly, as I feared, it was too many steroids at once. I tried to tell him that, but he wanted to feel better. He is feeling better, thanks. But he was unable to work all week. The side effects of Prednisone and the others took a toll, so now we are trying to flush that all out.

He continues to take allergy meds because it hasn’t helped those symptoms as much as just a shot usually does.

I did get my flu shot on 10/5. He has not yet because they are doing them this year at his company, so that should be soon.

Does everyone in your house always get one? My hubby does not usually, but this year he is. He has been a bit stubborn, lol.

• Gayle Ward

October 15, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Great article, thanks gayle

• jen-cueva

October 16, 2020 at 2:39 pm

I am happy that it was informative for you, @gward. How are you doing? Do you tend to have seasonal allergies?

• jen-cueva

December 12, 2022 at 5:01 pm

This may be helpful for some as it seems colds, flu, and new COVID variants are on the rise again here in California.

I’m trying to fight off a flu-like bug to make my Neuro appointment tomorrow. I slept until 10:30 this morning and took a nap yesterday.

Hot tea with honey and hot chicken tortilla soup for lunch. That, with rest and Hallmark Christmas movies, will do the trick.

Stay safe and start these home remedies as soon as you feel something coming on. Also, if it lasts longer than a few days, I seek advice from my medical team.

• jen-cueva

April 6, 2023 at 2:48 pm

Springtime flowers bring on allergies. I thought this would be helpful for those who are trying to decipher if you have a cold, flu, allergies, and, let;’s hope, not COVID.

Have you struggled with allergies as things begin to bloom in your area? What about colds and flu? Here in San Diego, colds and flu are spreading; however, allergy sufferers are also struggling.