Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health How can others offer support when you or your loved ones struggle with anxiety?

• How can others offer support when you or your loved ones struggle with anxiety?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 15, 2023 at 4:28 pm

Numerous individuals in the PH community struggle with anxiety occasionally. Frequently, anxiety’s impact on my body surpasses my physical symptoms.

From May 15-21, we observe Mental Health Awareness Week, focusing on this year’s theme: anxiety. It’s crucial to remember that mental well-being is as vital as physical health, despite lingering social stigmas. We must reevaluate our approach to mental health and treat it with the care it deserves.

How can others offer support when you or your loved ones struggle with anxiety?

jen-cueva replied 8 months, 1 week ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • jen-cueva

May 17, 2023 at 1:18 pm

My recent column is also about anxiety and Mental Health Awareness Month. I share some of my strategies and how together we can be a powerful force in managing anxiety.

You can read it at the link below, and let’s talk about this. What other strategies can you share?

Together we can be a powerful force to manage anxiety

• kygon

May 17, 2023 at 2:03 pm

I handle mine with deep breathing exercises or going for a walk.

Bryan we handle a bit differently and check all his vitals and or check both sides for any sudden weakness  (such as having him squeeze both hands etc) that I do pretty regularly since his stroke.. and when all that is done it typically slows his anxiety … I know for sure it passes if he goes and takes a nap .. if that doesn’t work I offer him a massage and then he always naps! haha

We also regularly do things to prevent anxiety from taking over like camping, just connecting with nature, and sometimes meditation and stretching. But anyone who has heard me in here knows my Garden and Greenhouse or watching my little birds flitting around are my biggest fastest relief of stress and anxiety.  Although this year my extra time has been holding little blessings called grandbabies and that is like 10 outta 10 best preventative thing ever! LOL

• jen-cueva

May 18, 2023 at 2:10 pm

Hi @kygon, yes, my strategies for anxiety are much different than Manny’s. He can go cycling, to the gym, or walk with Zoe.

We do spend time together outdoors, and that helps too. Being surrounded by nature and fresh beach air. Lately, I’ve woken up to the beautiful song of birds. That is often a boost and reminds me that Spring is here.

I bet those grandbabies this year will help your and Bryan’s anxiety. You can’t be anxious with those precious cuddles and baby scents.

Thanks for sharing, Ky. <3

• Colleen

May 17, 2023 at 3:50 pm

@jenc the guided meditation you offer in the column sounds manageable and hopeful too!

It reminds me of not so much a meditation but relaxation technique a therapist taught me many decades ago but I still practice. When I go to bed and my mind is racing I lay very still and start picturing my body, one part at a time, slowly sinking into the mattress as if I’m on a cloud. When I do it right I sometimes fall asleep before I am finished.

My son Aidan swears by exercise. When anxiety is getting the best of him he either goes for a run or hits the gym. For Cullen and I we like to go for a relaxing drive in the car and will recommend it when we see that the other is having a bad day.

@kygon congratulations on your grandbabies! I’m sure a daily dose of the sweet little ones is very relaxing!

• jen-cueva

May 18, 2023 at 2:20 pm

Hi @colleensteele, your relaxation exercise does sound similar. Do you time it or move while scanning your body?

Aidan sounds like Manny. He also uses cycling and the gym to help with anxiety and stress.

I love car rides, even if it’s an SBUX run. During the lockdown, car rides were my sanity! Blaring some favorite tunes, windows down, and sunroof open- that’s my jam.

Welcome back, my beautiful FWW and friend! You’ve been missed, but we encourage you to take it slow and take as much time as you need to tackle other things on your list. We are here and ready to support you, Cullen, and Aidan however we can.

I love you bunches, my kindhearted friend, and here anytime. <3

• jen-cueva

July 13, 2023 at 1:49 pm

Hey @kygon, what are you up to all summer? How’s Bryan doing with the increase in his Uptravi? When is his RHC scheduled again?

How’s your anxiety been? Hopefully, those two new grandbabies help calm any tensions. I bet they are growing too fast!

• jen-cueva

July 13, 2023 at 1:52 pm

Hi @brendad53, this post is one I thought may speak to you. You probably also have some thoughts and experiences that you want to share.

How can others support you when you struggle with anxiety?

@dawnt, how is your anxiety been? How are the infusions going for your infection? Do you continue to experience increased symptoms? We miss you in the forums. Let us know how we can best support you with any anxiety.

• brenda-denzler

July 13, 2023 at 6:48 pm

Good posts, Jen. It’s nice to know that others have to try to cope with this, too.

• jen-cueva

July 14, 2023 at 11:57 am

Thanks, @brendad53, you are not alone. So many are here and understand to some degree. I’m grateful this post topic was interesting for you.

Aww, welcome to the 70’s club, Brenda! That’s a huge milestone with your challenges!

• dawnt

July 17, 2023 at 6:24 pm

Hi @jenc. Honestly, I’m not doing well. We had to stop the amikacin due to kidney issues, the 2 oral meds and remaining i.v. were continuing to make me very nauseous. I’ve lost 45 lbs, can’t keep anything down, and if I do manage to keep it down as soon as I take any medication I’m vomiting again. I feel like I’m getting weaker and shakier every day.

I saw a new pulmonary dr last week since I don’t have a local one, and he thinks the lung infection diagnosis is incorrect and advised my infectious disease dr to immediately stop all the antibiotics. He agreed with the earlier reports of the mycobacterium abscessus bacteria colonizing on testing but not that it had created an infection. I read online that it is extremely difficult to differentiate between those two things, so am hoping the lung infection diagnosis was incorrect. We’ve temporarily stopped the antibiotics, and I’m getting a ct scan and pft done. I’m praying he is right, and that there is treatment to address the ph/scleroderma issues he thinks are responsible for my issues. I’m waiting to hear back from him and my infection dr. I am so hopeful, but feel so bad physically that I know it’s going to take quite a while to get back to where I was physically.

• jen-cueva

July 18, 2023 at 2:57 pm

Oh no, @dawnt, I hate that you are not doing well. This all sounds horrible and frustrating at the same time. Forty-five pounds is huge, and it’s only has been within a few months!

I sometimes struggle with nausea and vomiting, so I know how quickly this can drain any energy you may have. Is your brother or someone living with you now? I’m extremely concerned about you, my PHriend. Praying that this was an incorrect diagnosis, but if it was, all of this took away from your physical strength, and yes, it will take time to get back closer to your baseline.

Hopefully you are keeping appointments with your therapist, and your depression and anxiety don’t spiral out of control.

When is your CT and PFT scheduled? Do you feel you may need to go inpatient to get this all figured out? I hope and pray that they can get this all done quickly and get you on some correct treatments to get you moving in the right direction.<3

If you need to talk, you have my email, I believe. It's [email protected]. Please reach out anytime. I can imagine you don’t have the strength to do whatever priority is that day. We are here with open arms and sending positive thoughts, love, hugs, an prayers your way, sweet PHriend!

• germaine-norwood

July 13, 2023 at 5:59 pm

Hi everyone,

This is a great question and an important topic. I suffered  from anxiety even before being diagnosed with IPAH but the condition certainly exacerbated things. Oddly I don’t really have anxious thoughts about myself but about the people I love. My therapist calls this “catastrophic thinking”, worrying incessantly that bad things are going to happen to the people you love. My family is always worried when my symptoms of IPAH get worse and I am worrying about them. So it can be a vicious cycle of anxiety all around. I have tried meditation but am mostly too high strung to relax during the day. Meditation at night however does work for me. I am trying to catch myself when I get into these anxious moments of catastrophic thinking and stop myself . It will be an ongoing process since I am about to turn 75 and these habits of anxiety driven behavior require constant diligence. I totally support getting outside , even a short walk , can break the cycle and who doesn’t need more exercise. My best of thoughts to all of you who struggle with the emotional/psychological impact of this disease when the physical components are challenging enough.

• brenda-denzler

July 13, 2023 at 6:49 pm

I like that you’re 5 years old than me, Germaine. Like you, I have a lifetime of excelling at worry. Sometimes, it’s useful. Sometimes, it’s pointless. I liked reading your story and ideas, above.

• jen-cueva

July 14, 2023 at 11:52 am

Hi @mgnorwood, I’m happy to see your post. But sorry that you struggle with so much anxiety. I’ve always been known as the family “worry wart.” Before my PH diagnosis, I worked in nursing. So, I worried about everyone, my family, friends, colleagues, and patients.

As a patient for almost 19 years, I’m learning that I must worry about my health and prioritize myself. I don’t feel I have the type of anxiety that you experiences—but I have generalized anxiety.

It’s an ongoing work in progress to manage mental/emotional challenges while managing my PH and other physical difficulties. Like you, I enjoy getting outdoors to boost my mood.

Congrats on your 75th birthday. Is it this month? Thanks for sharing your experience with anxiety. I hope to see you post more often.