• How Do You Address Weight Shaming?

Posted by brittany-foster on December 3, 2018 at 11:27 am

For many with chronic illness, especially when dealing with the ups and downs of pulmonary hypertension, weight may be effected. Sometimes my weight is in a healthy range, but most of the time due to co-existing conditions and hospitalizations, my weight is in the lower range. It is difficult to come home after a hospital stay, or after a stretch of time where I am struggling with GI issues, have been sick, etc and hear “weight shaming” comments.

I know that many of those around me aren’t saying things about my weight to be mean or nasty. Some even may think that they are saying it in a funny way or trying to make a joke about things when they tell me “it looks like you’re going to blow away!” or “put some meat on those bones.”

The truth about these comments though is that they can be hurtful. It’s hurtful because the weight loss I have isn’t always in my control. There are many factors that contribute to weight loss for someone with pulmonary hypertension or chronic illness and I wish family members were more aware of this.

I try to communicate this to family members, friends, and those that express concern but sometimes it can be hard.

Do you experience “weight shaming”? What are ways others can express concern without seeming ignorant? What would you like others to know about your weight that you may not be able to say in person?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • stephannie-baker

December 4, 2018 at 10:52 pm

I understand some of the things that you are saying because I do not undergo weight shaming due to such reasons. I undergo weight shaming because I just choose to not lose weight. I am comfortable in my own skin and I guess that is what others should respect. As you said, though people are concerned or they might be joking, they shouldn’t be so ignorant in life. We do not know everyone’s story and I think everyone else should just respect that and move on. I hope your family and friends can be more understanding and just look at you and not your body muscle the next time you meet them. Take care

• brittany-foster

December 5, 2018 at 10:33 am

Thank you for saying that Stephannie. It’s hard when the superficial is what people focus on and not the other things that make me who I am. That is a big reason why so many people out there struggle with eating or disordered eating thoughts because they are too focused on how they are on the outside (sadly so many things play into that) . But when it is beyond our control whether we lose / gain weight, comments about weight can be damaging. People should totally respect that fact that you are comfortable in your own skin. There aren’t many people that can say that and mean it. I admire you for that !