Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies How Do You Care for Gelatin Capsules In Extreme Heat?

• How Do You Care for Gelatin Capsules In Extreme Heat?

Posted by Colleen on June 28, 2021 at 2:46 pm

For those who don’t know, my son is a transplant recipient and is on a lot of medication. 4 are gelatin capsules which he normally doesn’t refrigerate. 2 are supplements but the other 2 are his most important immunosuppressants.

We live in WA state which is under a record breaking heat advisory, and like most homes in WA, we do not have air conditioning. We messaged his doctor asking if we can refrigerate them (they were starting to melt). They pointed out that the manufacturer website states that the capsules should be stored at room temperature in a cool, dry place and away from direct sunlight.

Yeah, we don’t have an area in our home like that right now. They have been in the fridge since Friday and seem to be doing a lot better there than in the heat.

So, what have you done in this situation?

Colleen replied 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • jen-cueva

June 28, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I am sorry that y’all are dealing with such high temps. I cannot imagine without air conditioning.

How is Cullen doing? How about your asthma?

This is an excellent question. I have had to keep gel capsules like my prescribed Vitamin D and others in my refrigerator. Some people keep most of their medications in a fridge or cooler area in their homes.

Do you remember as kids, most of us grew up with our parents storing medications in our bathrooms? Unfortunately, these are some of the worst areas because of the moisture.

Here is a helpful link that may offer other tips for storing most types of medications.

Stay cool and hydrated to all who are affected by these unusually high temperatures.

• Colleen

June 29, 2021 at 3:25 pm

Thanks @jenc. Vitamin D is one of the pills we had to put in the fridge.

Cullen, who is usually super careful about his health, spent a lot of time outside with the dogs and never put sunscreen on. He got burned. Really surprised he did that but I guess we all have times when we just don’t feel up to routine.

Last Friday was when our temps started climbing. I decided it was a good time to clean my car then run errands in a car that doesn’t have AC. I ended up having a heat stroke. I’ve had 2 in my life so I knew the signs and what to do, but still a bit scary. Cullen chewed me out for not drinking enough water and working outside in the heat. Talk about turning the tables.

• jen-cueva

June 29, 2021 at 9:04 pm

Oh my, @colleensteele, I hate to hear about your heatstroke. I agree with Cullen here. Please be careful and stay indoors, especially in the main heat of the day. Drink water, stay hydrated, and do those outdoor tasks in the early mornings or late evenings.

Thankfully you knew the signs and hopefully went inside to cool off and hydrate. But I was worried about you and your asthma. Are you carrying your inhaler around just in case when you are out?

I love how Cullen is taking care of you; the table often does turn at times as our kids become strong young adults.

Stay cool and take care of yourself.

• Carol Volckmann

June 29, 2021 at 8:01 pm

Oh Colleen – heat stroke! Thank goodness you were aware of the symptoms! That had to have been very scary and on top of that your asthma must have been more difficult to manage. Please take care of yourself!

It has really cooled off here in Port Ludlow. It never got as hot as the Seattle area but we were lucky our rental has AC. Our new house does not. There will be ceiling fans in every room.

And they say there is no global warming.

The last couple of days I did put my Vit D in the fridge. It really surprises me the doctor’s office did not have a recommendation.

Hope you and Cullen are doing better and your home is cooling off a bit.

Sending cooling vibes – think ice uses. ????

• jen-cueva

May 20, 2022 at 11:17 am

As we start to warm up, I thought these would be excellent reminders. As @colleensteele mentions, certain medications need protection from the heat, and some could use refrigeration. See the link that I shared above for more information on storing medications.

Also, keep an eye on the temperatures and take breaks indoors and cool off. If you don’t have AC, cool showers or a damp, cool cloth are helpful. Stay hydrated to help prevent heatstroke. I’m speaking loudly to you, my FWW, @colleensteele, too.

• Jimi Mcintosh

May 24, 2022 at 9:28 pm

Sorry to hear that you are in a heat wave.  I have several medications that are capsules and I take thru-out the day. I have a insulated insulin bag that I carry and it has held a constant temp for 7 hours. I also have a portable frig that plugs up in the car for traveling.  Your insurance company may provide you an insulated insulin bag, they gave me one.

have you considered a portable window unit of about 12000 btu’s that can get your home comfortable, if the windows and doors are closed. I find good deals at Ollie’s,   LOS( liquidation outlet supply) they offer fans, AC units at 50% of Home Depot and Lowes prices.

• Colleen

May 25, 2022 at 11:26 pm

@jimi I am giving myself a face palm! I never thought about the insulated bags. I have 2 brand new ones from Accredo left over from when Cullen was on Flolan. I will definitely give it a try. Cullen’s most important meds are gel caps and it doesn’t take much heat for them to start sticking together.

Your AC advice is perfect timing too. Cullen just mentioned yesterday that he wishes we could get a window unit. The problem is we have an old house and our windows up from the side instead of up and down and are tall windows. We would have to get creative if we get one. I’m going to have my husband check out LOS as you suggested.

Thank you!

• jen-cueva

May 25, 2022 at 10:27 am

Hi @jimi, that’s some excellent resources for those in the hotter areas. I know that @colleensteele and the others will appreciate your tips. The AC suggestions and where you purchase those much more reasonable will benefit anyone looking.

Thanks for those tips as the temps start rising again. How long have you had that portable fridge? Did the insurance fight you to pay for it, or did they because your meds need to stay cool? That was something I would have never guessed they would cover; thanks for that education, my PHriend.

Stay cool and enjoy the rest of your week.