Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Colleen Steele
      Keymaster

For those who don’t know, my son is a transplant recipient and is on a lot of medication. 4 are gelatin capsules which he normally doesn’t refrigerate. 2 are supplements but the other 2 are his most important immunosuppressants.

We live in WA state which is under a record breaking heat advisory, and like most homes in WA, we do not have air conditioning. We messaged his doctor asking if we can refrigerate them (they were starting to melt). They pointed out that the manufacturer website states that the capsules should be stored at room temperature in a cool, dry place and away from direct sunlight.

Yeah, we don’t have an area in our home like that right now. They have been in the fridge since Friday and seem to be doing a lot better there than in the heat.

So, what have you done in this situation?

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Hi @colleensteele, I am sorry that y’all are dealing with such high temps. I cannot imagine without air conditioning.

How is Cullen doing? How about your asthma?

This is an excellent question. I have had to keep gel capsules like my prescribed Vitamin D and others in my refrigerator. Some people keep most of their medications in a fridge or cooler area in their homes.

Do you remember as kids, most of us grew up with our parents storing medications in our bathrooms? Unfortunately, these are some of the worst areas because of the moisture.

Here is a helpful link that may offer other tips for storing most types of medications.

Stay cool and hydrated to all who are affected by these unusually high temperatures.

Colleen Steele
        Keymaster

Thanks @jenc. Vitamin D is one of the pills we had to put in the fridge.

Cullen, who is usually super careful about his health, spent a lot of time outside with the dogs and never put sunscreen on. He got burned. Really surprised he did that but I guess we all have times when we just don’t feel up to routine.

Last Friday was when our temps started climbing. I decided it was a good time to clean my car then run errands in a car that doesn’t have AC. I ended up having a heat stroke. I’ve had 2 in my life so I knew the signs and what to do, but still a bit scary. Cullen chewed me out for not drinking enough water and working outside in the heat. Talk about turning the tables.

Jen Cueva
          Keymaster

Oh my, @colleensteele, I hate to hear about your heatstroke. I agree with Cullen here. Please be careful and stay indoors, especially in the main heat of the day. Drink water, stay hydrated, and do those outdoor tasks in the early mornings or late evenings.

Thankfully you knew the signs and hopefully went inside to cool off and hydrate. But I was worried about you and your asthma. Are you carrying your inhaler around just in case when you are out?

I love how Cullen is taking care of you; the table often does turn at times as our kids become strong young adults.

Stay cool and take care of yourself.

Carol Volckmann
      Participant

Oh Colleen – heat stroke! Thank goodness you were aware of the symptoms! That had to have been very scary and on top of that your asthma must have been more difficult to manage. Please take care of yourself!

It has really cooled off here in Port Ludlow. It never got as hot as the Seattle area but we were lucky our rental has AC. Our new house does not. There will be ceiling fans in every room.

And they say there is no global warming.

The last couple of days I did put my Vit D in the fridge. It really surprises me the doctor’s office did not have a recommendation.

Hope you and Cullen are doing better and your home is cooling off a bit.

Sending cooling vibes – think ice uses. 🌷

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account