Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health How Do You Deal With Grief?

Tagged: , ,

• How Do You Deal With Grief?

Posted by Colleen on June 25, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Grief can stem from many experiences and expressed in different ways. It is felt deeply when someone we care about passes away but sometimes it manifests from the loss of a job or health struggles.

What form of grief have you experiences recently and how have you dealt with it?

On his birthday my son lost a close PH friend and two others on and close to Christmas. That kind of loss during those times can make celebrating difficult. What has helped us is lighting a special candle in memory of those people and sharing stories about them that makes us laugh and smile. Have you ever done something similar? Share your experience.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

June 26, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I am sorry to hear about the grief that your son experienced all within a short period. Grief is in our lives in so many ways. Lighting a candle can be helpful.

One of our younger transplant PHriends from my early PH days passed away over 10 years ago now. Several of us were in a group chat back then always think of him when we hear a particular song. It is funny that we tend to continue this through our group chat each year.

Most recently, we lost my mother-in-law and father-in-law within 2 weeks just before Christmas. Each year and on holidays this comes back. My father-in-law’s birthday is tomorrow. With Father’s Day just over, things make it more difficult. I find that talking about the fun times helps me. My hubby is the opposite. He doesn’t talk about them as often.

We all react and process grief differently. But remember, no one is alone in grief. Grief can add to our stress and impact our PH symptoms. Has anyone else noticed this?