Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH How Do You Deal With the Controversy About Masks?

• Carol Volckmann

July 31, 2020 at 6:00 pm

Bravo Aidan! Why does someone behave like that? Making a statement that says it is all about them! It is so sad, so frustrating, so maddening there are so many in this world who are so clueless. We just have to try and remember there are many who are not!

• Colleen

August 3, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Thanks @cdvol3gmail-com. I’m glad he spoke up but I told him as annoying as it is, next time just get up an move himself. I worry that some people are intentionally looking to stir up controversy and I wouldn’t want him to end up in a dangerous situation with someone. I find it odd that the man sat next to him like that. It’s been bugging me.

• Carol Volckmann

August 3, 2020 at 3:18 pm

You, of course are right. Best ti just move away and not say anything. You just have to be so careful these days. It is all about keeping safe. Thanks for the reminder.

• jen-cueva

August 3, 2020 at 5:37 pm

WTG, Aidan. I am happy that he spoke up. He sounds like Manny that he will speak up on things like wearing masks and keeping a distance. Like you, @colleensteele, I’m not too fond of confrontation. I try to remind Manny to be the better person and move away. He is working on that, Hehe.

You make an excellent point; some people are looking to start something. It would make me mad if there were plenty of space, and he decided to sit next to Aidan. Poor Aidan was already having a rough day.

• Mendo Bruce

August 4, 2020 at 2:55 pm

As someone with end stage emphysema (FEV1 19%) as well as severe PH I am very concerned about Covid but I have a very difficult time wearing a mask. I absolutely can not walk or even move my upper body much while wearing a mask.

I stay in a lot. When I do walk outside, I keep my mask around my neck (don’t most covid infections start in the throat, lol) and if I see someone approaching, I put my mask up and stand still. When I need to go inside somewhere (like the doctors) I bring a friend to act as an attendant. I have them get me a wheelchair and they wheel me around while I wear my mask. It is still very difficult with the mask on, even sitting still.

• Carol Volckmann

August 4, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Hi Mendo, I just read your post and am so sorry with all you are dealing with and mask wearing makes it really difficult. Both my husband and myself now wear face shields- they give you more protection from other people who might be positive and don’t even know it. My doctor pointed this out to me so from now on it is face shields. Whenever I have to go into s clinic or hospital I will wear I hope this might work for you too!
    Carol

• Jimi Mcintosh

August 4, 2020 at 10:17 pm

I have tried over 10 different mask including the M-95, looking for one that I breathe wearing, wear for longer tvv than a hour. I do not need to be confronted by a person that cannot understand that some people are sick and mask complicate the issues. I wear it to protect them, not myself. I go for my 6th test 8/10. It is hot and humid here and people are not maintaining a safe distance, wearing mask, wearing them wrong, wearing surgical
    Gloves and not properly disposing of these used items. When I had eye surgery, I was woke and had to wear a mask and oxygen, really long 2 hours.

• jen-cueva

August 5, 2020 at 3:40 pm

I can certainly attest to struggle with breathing when wearing a mask. I also live on the Texas Gulf Coast, where it stays hot and humid. Last week, for my test, I had to wear a mask for the entire two hours.

Thankfully, it was in the AC, and only one tech was in the room with me. I also had a face shield provided by him. After he was not in my space and hooking me up. I asked if he cared if I took off my mask partially, at least so I could breathe a bit better. It was a test done while in a recliner, and I had on my oxygen buy still struggled. He was OK with me moving it off and on during the time he was not in my direct space. This helped me get through its procedure, so I can certainly say that I can relate, and while I try my best to wear mine when I am out, most of my appointments ts are medical.

Friday morning, I go back for labs, and I will be wearing my mask and gear. Thankfully because I have an appointment, this is usually fast.

Page 2 of 2