Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition How do you increase your fiber intake?

• How do you increase your fiber intake?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 2, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Fiber can offer many benefits. Some of us were discussing constipation a few weeks ago. Often, the medications that we take can contribute to constipation. Also, if we do not take in enough water, this can cause constipation. I am on a fluid restriction, as I know many of you are, too.

Increasing your fiber can help with constipation. Per, MayoClinic, fiber can offer many benefits including helping to lower cholesterol, blood sugar, and help with heart disease.

I struggle with constipation often. For this reason, I try to increase my fiber intake.

Some foods that I like to eat that are rich in fiber are:
    * whole grains
    * canned and dried beans and peas
    * fibrous fruits and veggies

Some of my favorite are whole-grain oats, apples, plums, green veggies, and sweet potatoes.

Do you struggle with constipation? What are some ways that help you increase your fiber intake?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

June 17, 2020 at 10:13 am

As we have been discussing constipation and diarrhea lately as a common side effect, I thought that I would bring this back up again. Do you tend to add fiber to your diet? What are some of your fiber-rich foods?

I love sweet potatoes, as I mentioned above, but I often do not eat the skin. Often in the fruits and veggies, the skins are where the fiber is. Do y’all have this problem, too?