Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health How Do You Make Space Between Peace And Anxiety?

• jen-cueva

September 17, 2020 at 10:39 am

My apologies @colleensteele, as I read this column after I posted about soul care. When reading this, my heart ached as I can relate in similar ways. Anxiety is a big “booger” and can steal joy. Learning ways to find peace is always a struggle.

My therapist told me a few weeks ago to rate my anxiety as I would pain. Anything 4 or above, take a break and try one of my relaxation tips. Like you, walks and drives help calm me. My morning devotional and gratitude help me to start my day off in a positive mood. Although, often, it can go downhill fast. I have also always been the worrier in my family. My sisters can do their own thing like nothing is going on. While I am stressed to the max, my anxiety is skyrocketed when something is going on with our parents. I wish I had an “off ” switch at times.

Thanks for sharing this and opening up about your struggles. I am always here if you need to talk. Hugs from Texas<3

• Colleen

September 17, 2020 at 10:57 am

No need to apologize @jenc! I debated about posting this topic because it is similar to yours, but with a slightly different twist. Our members might find something relatable in both.

I never thought of rating anxiety the way I would pain. That is really good advice and I’m going to take it. I felt a bit “anxious” writing this column because I don’t want people to think that I’m constantly on edge. I’m a happy person who is always preparing for the next shoe to drop. The funny thing is, as much as I am in awe of people who seldom seem to worry, I don’t wish to be like that. In many ways I think my constant concern has helped me take good care of Cullen, but I’ve come to realize that going too long without breaks from anxiety, isn’t good for me. Like you said, an off switch at times would be ideal!