Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members How Do You Make The Best Out Of Traveling For Medical Care?

• How Do You Make The Best Out Of Traveling For Medical Care?

Posted by Colleen on September 28, 2020 at 9:10 pm

My family has traveled a lot over the years for my son’s medical care. While he was recovering from transplant I lived out of state with him for 4 months while my husband and other son remained at home in WA. How we got through the challenges of travel  and life away from home was by creating traditions and making room for some fun.  I wrote about our adventures in a recent column.

Have you and your family traveled for health care? Did you make any travel traditions along the way and if so, what were they? What sort of things did you do for fun?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 29, 2020 at 9:37 am

I loved that column, @colleensteele. I also have been to the Mt.Shasta area and it was beautiful to see. The title of this column, I absolutely loved. It was such a catchy title.

When my hubby and I would travel to Boston for my PH trips. We would stay at one of the 2 places. One was a hotel outside of Boston, but we could take the shuttle and bus into the city. We always ate lobster and clam chowder at one place that was so good but not expensive. This is also where I started drinking coffee, thanks to Dunkin Donuts, hehe.

I enjoyed going there, it was so different than Texas, and we always took in one fun adventure while there. It was for medical reasons, but we made it our vacation. When dealing with appointments, you need to balance it with a little fun, too. I can only imagine how busy the pre and post-transplant trips were.

I will repeat it, Cullen is fortunate to have an amazing mom to advocate for him. That and having a family that loves and cares so much for him, that you all pushed through some of the longest 4 months of your lives, I am sure.

• Colleen

September 29, 2020 at 2:33 pm

@jenc oh I love hearing that you and your husband created travel traditions too! It really helps, doesn’t it? It gives you something to look forward to and helps temporarily take your mind off of the medical concerns. Lobster, clam chowder and Dunkin Donuts are favorites of mine and now my tummy is rumbling just thinking about them!

Thank you for your kind words as always. We are also fortunate to have a son who is not only a PHighter, but funny, smart and always wise beyond his years.

• jen-cueva

September 30, 2020 at 10:45 am

Too funny @colleensteele, It is not anywhere near lunchtime, and just reading that your tummy is rumbling made me hungry. That does sound yummy!

These little traditions do help, and I miss those trips. When we first moved to Texas, we made trips back to San Diego each year. That is where he was at. Then, once he moved to Boston, we followed him there because we were already traveling to see him.

Sadly, my health became poor, and I was unable to travel for several years. The positive is that last year, I improved a bit, and we did get to go to San Diego for a vacation, no doctor visits. That was odd being there and not going to any appointments. San Diego has always been one of our favorite places because my hubby did boot camp and was stationed in Coronado.

Having my PH doc in Houston has helped, but I do miss those trips a bit. Do you and your family miss the trips to California?