Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges ​Dating and Relationships How Do You Manage When Both Of You Have A Serious Illness?

• How Do You Manage When Both Of You Have A Serious Illness?

Posted by Colleen on August 27, 2020 at 1:02 pm

In various way we have tackled the topic of how relationships are affected when someone is diagnosed with PH. What if both spouses or significant others are living with chronic illnesses. Does it help each of you be more patient and understanding with the other or does it cause more frustration? How do you help each other get through difficult days when you are both feeling sick? Share your experience and advice with us.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 27, 2020 at 2:22 pm

Great question, @colleensteele. As you know, last year, my hubby had emergency stents put in. Since then, I have caught myself watching him more closely. I think that his scare gave him a little more patience. But, when we both get down, it can be challenging. I keep reminding him that when we get older, we will need to work harder together. I am grateful that he does not have any significant issues ongoing. But, after that surgery, I feel like I need to help him more.

On days when we are both down, I am grateful for food and grocery delivery. These two have helped us greatly. Plus, our daughter lives downtown, so not far away.

• jen-cueva

September 21, 2020 at 10:19 am

Hi @kathyl, love and patience go a long way. I told my hubby that I have now been sick about half of our married life. It should be our “norm.” It is about giving and taking while working together. What helps you most in this circumstance?

How have you and your family? Any new updates that you wish to share?

• Colleen

September 21, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Ah, so true @kathyl!

@jenc It’s good to hear that your husband is doing better since having stents placed. I know how much you both look after the other. You are both a great example of the type of love that Kathy mentioned.

• jen-cueva

September 22, 2020 at 11:06 am

Thanks, @colleensteele, you are so kind. As you know, it is about working together as a team. I am blessed.

Do your parents take care of each other, or do they have someone come in to help them, @colleensteele? I know that they are older and out of state. I have been thinking about you and how difficult this must be for you. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers.