Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health How do you memorialize a loved one who has passed?

• How do you memorialize a loved one who has passed?

Posted by Colleen Steele on October 23, 2023 at 11:54 am

Do you have a special way to remember family and friends who have died, especially to PH?

My son lost two PH friends during Christmas and one on his birthday. On those days we light a periwinkle candle, dim the lights, sit in silence for a moment and if we feel up to it, share memories of them.

Tomorrow will mark 6 months since my husband passed. This might sound odd, but one of the first things I’m looking forward to setting up when I move to NJ is a memorial table for him in my bedroom. I’ve been collecting special things that remind me of him. It sounds sad but it has actually been bringing me comfort.

Share your “In Memory Of” examples.

Colleen Steele replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Linda Concoby

October 24, 2023 at 5:08 pm

Lovely ideas, Colleen.

• Colleen Steele

October 24, 2023 at 6:54 pm

@Linda Concoby thank you! Have you memorialized anyone is a special way or know someone who has and thought it was a lovely idea?

• Roger Bliss

October 30, 2023 at 8:01 pm

I think the hardest things in life is to loose a spouse or a child. Thank God I haven’t had to deal with it. I admire your strength from loosing your husband. It has to be rough on you. I wish you all the best on your move to NJ.

We keep pictures around of our friends and relatives. Don’t really have any memorials set up. I like to go through our wedding picture album now and then. All the people who were close to us are in there. Unfortunately, most have passed away as that was 46 years ago.

• jen-cueva

November 1, 2023 at 12:06 pm

Hi @Roger Bliss, I like you, can’t begin to imagine losing my spouse as I know our sweet @Colleen. I have lost many family and friends. We’ve tried to keep these lost loved ones alive by having their photos around our house and also talking about the special memories we have had with them.

When my late stepfather passed away, we all had necklaces with his ashes that were shaped like a heart. I saved mine and don’t wear it. My mom wears hers often. She also had a table set up with his pictures and things on it near her bed.

Friends and PHriends we have lost, I know we try and remember them and their special birthdays in heaven. I’ve also written about a few in the past. 💜

• Colleen Steele

November 2, 2023 at 8:31 pm

@Roger Bliss sad to say I can relate to all the loss you see when you look at your wedding pictures/video. There are so many in mine who are gone now but I am so grateful to be able to visit and remember them through those pictures!