Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users How do you monitor oxygen levels on exertion?

• How do you monitor oxygen levels on exertion?

Posted by brittany-foster on February 8, 2019 at 3:04 pm

I have exertional low blood oxygen levels. Without a lot of activity I really don’t need my oxygen as much, unless I’m fighting off an illness. I try to wear my oxygen as much as possible with exertion but sometimes I feel “okay” without it doing a small amount of activity. I don’t wear it when moving around the house. I usually take it for grocery trips, activities that require an extended amount of walking or a lot of standing.

My question is, how do you monitor your oxygen levels on exertion to see if you need the oxygen in that moment or to see if your liter flow is strong enough? This has been something I’ve always struggled with monitoring. My body doesn’t give me warning signs like headaches and low enery until my levels are in the low 80s or high 70s. It’s not very practical to walk around with an o2 sensor all the time and I don’t want to be too obsessed with checking it if I’m feeling “okay” at an o2 in the upper 80s.

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kathleen-sheffer

February 8, 2019 at 6:04 pm

I have a really small monitor that fits in my pocket that I use to test my oxygen level while exerting. But I hear you on not wanting to get obsessive with it – I’ve been there and done that and it’s not fun. Maybe you can dedicate a couple days to monitor it every couple hours or every time you change activities? Take notes and see if you can find a pattern so you can define which activities you need oxygen for.

My doctor wanted me to use supplemental oxygen whenever possible – he said it would be beneficial to wear it for an hour while I was working at my desk or watching TV. It definitely can’t hurt! Maybe try wearing it as much as you can tolerate and see how you feel.

• kevin-krause

February 12, 2019 at 6:37 pm

I spot check with my pulse oximeter while exercising. If outside it seems to not be as accurate of in the sunlight. I am kind or past caring if people see me on oxygen or using my oximeter.

• brittany-foster

February 12, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Hi Kevin,
      Yes ! I am totally at the point of not caring what other people may think of me when wearing the oxygen. If I NEED it then I NEED it and I just think to myself “people are breathing air around me and I’m not judging them for it. A girl has to breathe !!! hahaha! It sounds like a good idea to check while you are exercising especially to keep track of things and see if you need to adjust your oxygen at all. When I used to exercise at the gym I always wore my oxygen and took my pulse ox with me. I feel like in a way, people seeing me in the gym with oxygen was a motivation for THEM!