Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Pediatric PH How Do You Protect Your Child Against Colds and Viruses?

• How Do You Protect Your Child Against Colds and Viruses?

Posted by Colleen on December 12, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Children can be a little more complicated to protect against colds, the flu and other viruses. They will put fingers in their mouths, touch things without worrying about germs and approach people even if they appear to be sick.

What steps do you take to try and protect your children during cold and flu season? Do you keep them home from school? Do they wear a mask when out in public? Have they had their flu shot? Do you encourage them to use hand sanitzers? Share your tips with others.

jen-cueva replied 8 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

December 12, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Hey Colleen,
    As a teacher I often has so many kiddos in my class that would go to school sick either with a cold or some type of virus or bug. I ended up with viral meningitis because one of my students went to school sick. It reminded me the importance of trying to keep kids home, not only for their health and safety but for others in the classroom who may be compromised. For anyone with a compromised immune system it would be a good idea to make the classroom and parents aware (even without using names) so that more can be conscientious of others and their health!

• jen-cueva

August 21, 2023 at 1:49 pm

As many schools are back in session, I thought this was an important reminder. How many parents and caregivers take extra precautions as this school year takes off and your child returns to school?

I imagine going from summer mostly being at home with a few friends and family to back with hundreds of kids; it’s a challenge all year. Do you notice more colds and viruses early in the school year?

Are all of our parents and caregivers doing things for yourselves as school starts and you aren’t entertaining your kids all summer? I knew one parent of a PH child that would book a massage every year on her kid’s first day of school. She used this as a reset.