Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions How do you protect your skin during these unforgiving winter months?

• How do you protect your skin during these unforgiving winter months?

Posted by jen-cueva on January 8, 2024 at 11:19 am

Like many, dry skin is a common challenge when taking diuretics. And during winter, with its harsh conditions and chilly air, the struggle to keep our skin healthy and glowing intensifies. But fear not!

Today, January 8th, is National Winter Skin Relief Day! Let’s brainstorm how to shield our skin from the elements. One tip is to opt for shorter showers with warm, not scalding, water. And remember to moisturize both morning and night.

I’m curious: How do you protect your skin during these unforgiving winter months? Please share your tips with us.

jen-cueva replied 3 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

January 9, 2024 at 3:12 pm

I love soaking in a hot bath with some essential oils at night. This helps me unwind but also helps with my leg pains. But these hot soaks are horrible for my already dry skin. I try to take more showers and not use as hot water as usual.

Here are a few other helpful tips from the Cleveland Clinic. You can read it and tell us what you do to combat dry skin this winter.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/tips-to-combat-dry-skin-in-winter

• Rayetta

January 11, 2024 at 11:31 pm

I use a goat’s milk cream and that helps me. I also have a hygrometer so I can pay attention to the humidity levels in home and if I get low on humidity then I start using a humidifier to help bring it back up. I also take shorter showers which are tolerable but not hot. I also do not shower everyday.

• jen-cueva

January 12, 2024 at 10:51 am

Hi @Rayetta, goat’s milk cream would probably work well for my dry skin, too. I’ve been using essential oils and other creams. If I am not doing much one day, I may skip a shower occasionally. But otherwise, I try and make them shorter. On non-shower days, I do a “spit bath,” as my old grandma called it. 🤣

Using the humidifier also would be helpful. That’s another excellent tip, thanks Rayetta!