Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions How do you treat frequent bronchitis?

• How do you treat frequent bronchitis?

Posted by Brittany Foster on October 31, 2019 at 1:10 pm

Bronchitis and upper respiratory infections is something that I end up getting frequently, especially this time of year. Some of my doctors treat it different ways. For me, even though it is usually viral, it has a hard time just “running its course” It usually stays in my system for awhile without the help of medications to get things moving along.

Usually I get about 5 episodes of bronchitis a year, especially when I was teaching in a public school setting. To treat this, I use inhalers (xopenex) bipap as needed, oxygen usually turned up higer , sometimes an anti-viral medication, and sometimes if it doesn’t improve after 4 days they give an antibiotic, also robitussin with codeine.

How often do you get bronchitis? How is it treated for you?

Sheriden replied 4 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • jen-cueva

November 6, 2019 at 10:30 am

Hi Brittany,
    Sorry, I am a few days late to post. I have been dealing with Bronchitis for over a week now. It is, “par for the course” for me. I know many other PH patients feel the same. I usually get bronchitis several times per year at a minimum.

For me, my doctor has a Zpac (antibiotics) usually available with a refill. I also have used Albuterol,just recently switched to Xopenex. It seems to work better for me and I am not as shaky, so I can actually do the nebulizers more than 2x/day.

I also have Tessalon Perles (RX)for cough if it gets too bad. I have cracked a few ribs from coughing in the past, so we stay prepared.I can also take plain Delsym, which is OTC. It helps and lasts longer for me versus plain robitussin.

Usually, as you mention, it often has “too run its course”. I have been told to use those face masks when I go out in public for years. I have refused until now. I used one yesterday going to a follow-up appointment. I hated them, but I think it was too big for my face. I may look online for some pediatric or smaller ones. My PA agreed that may help.

Has anyone used the disposable or washable face masks to prevent germs? Share your experiences and tips, please.

• Brittany Foster

November 6, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Jen,
      I can relate to the getting bronchitis multiple times. Especially during the season change. That seems to trigger mine. When it gets cooler it gets really hard to manage. I used to get a lot more infections when I was working as a teacher. The face masks sound like a good way to protect yourself. I’m sure they have some good ones and cute styles for pediatrics too! Etsy always has some cute medical stuff.

• Colleen

November 6, 2019 at 8:43 pm

Jen, I am so sorry to hear about the bronchitis! You have been busy with the 30 Days of PH too. How have you managed? I hope you are getting rest. I worry about you!

My husband deals with bronchitis multiple times a year with the change in season. It exhausts him so I can imagine how you must be feeling!

• Brittany Foster

November 7, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Jen,
        definitely make sure that you are resting too! Thinking of you and really hoping that the antibiotics kick in soon for you. How long does it usually take for them to start taking effect? For me it is usually within the first 3 days and I have to go on antibiotics pretty immediately because my body just can’t fight it off on my own.

• jen-cueva

November 10, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Hey Brittany,
        As far as the antibiotics, they often take several days to ick in. Usually, they give me steroids orally and/or injections. We are trying to stay away from Prednisone is possible, after my reactions last time.

When we changed my breathing treatments to Xopenex and I was able to actually do them every 4-6 hours, I noticed a difference within a few days. Thanks again for the well wishes. How are you this Sunday evening? I feel like it is almost time for bed, it is almost dark here, LOL

• Brittany Foster

November 12, 2019 at 8:22 am

Jen,
        They have started to get away from chronic antibiotic use for me especially after my year I had of suffering through c-diff recurring on and off. It was to the point where I ended up in a clinical trial for a study for treatment of c-diff through pills that clear the c-diff. It ended up working which is an amazing breakthrough! My GI doctor is actually one of the ones that helped create the pill so I am lucky that my c-diff brought me to her.

• jen-cueva

November 10, 2019 at 5:21 pm

Thanks, Brittany and Colleen. I have been feeling better the last two days, thank you. Yesterday, I actually was able to get out and have a “date day” with my hubby.

I did not wear my mask all day because it is too big and suffocating. I have looked at several that you and others have shared. I do like the ones on Etsy. They have cute designs and colors. I have shopped there for cute gifts before, too. But, I have yet to order, I have been a tad busy, LOL

It is certainly tough trying to rest when you want to do so much. I have been taking breaks in between edits and sharing stories in the 30 days of PH initiative. Like Brittany mentions, it is easier to stay busy so I do not remember how bad I feel, LOL

Thank you both. I am getting back to my self.

• Brittany Foster

November 12, 2019 at 8:24 am

Jen,
        I am glad that you were able to have a day for yourself and a date day with you and your hubby. I know the little things like that and getting out and having some feeling of normalcy can actually make physical symptoms seem easier to manage. I know how busy you have been but make sure to take some time for you too through all of it. After this month is over with the 30 days of PH, I’m sure that you will feel better too with a little less on your plate ! Always here for you!

• Jimi Mcintosh

November 12, 2019 at 11:00 am

Frequent bronchitis and asthma flare ups this time of year, use inhalers and if
    It lingers then time for steroids, and bronchial dialators. I try to keep household filters changed every 30-45 days.

• Brittany Foster

November 12, 2019 at 12:44 pm

That’s a good tip to change the filters especially for those that are on machines like BIPAP and oxygen. the bacteria and infection can get trapped easily. Really good advice ! I also use inhalers and just today got put on a steroid taper for an upper respiratory infection that I didn’t know was lingering until I started coughing up with some blood streaks in it. At first I thought it was just tasting blood in my mouth and then when I saw actual blood I knew it was time for a PCP visit. Glad I trusted my gut .

• Tamara

November 13, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Hi Jen,

To add a cherry on top, I got Spontaneous Cranial Cerebral Spinal Fluid leaks! Because I was at risk for menengitis, myself and my partner had to wearface masks whenever we went out until I could have my surgery to seal them. At that point I got used to wearing them out in public. I used to draw funny buck teeth on them just for the fun of it! Anyway, I usually wear them out in public when I go to Walmart to pick up my meds, as a precaution. Welln I got slack. Didn’t think to wear one when I went to my pulmonologist, ended up getting the worst flu of my life! High fever, vomiting, and almost broncitis! I was too sick to go to the doctor! Moral to this story! Face masks during flu season and highly populated areas! I use whatever masks I can get my hands on! Dollar Tree even sells them!

• Brittany Foster

November 13, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Oh no, Tamara !
      Definitely try your best to stay on top of those masks. I have a spinal condition that leaves me more susceptible to getting things like meningitis too. I actually had meningitis about 4 years ago and it was the worse few months of my life that I honestly don’t recall much of which is the scary part! Better to keep yourself as safe as possible !

• Sheriden

January 29, 2020 at 7:36 pm

Brittany, what is c-diff?

• Brittany Foster

January 30, 2020 at 12:54 pm

@sheridend C-diff is something in the gut that is an infection that is highly contagious and some people get it from frequent hospitalizations. For me it caused a lot of diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea and really messed with my bowels and colon a lot. People actually get something called a fecal matter transplant which is the only cure for it. here is a link to learn more about it.

• Sheriden

January 31, 2020 at 12:12 am

Brittany, thank you! I am now informed on c-diff! Good to be aware!