Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health How does PH affect your birthday?

• How does PH affect your birthday?

Posted by Colleen on August 14, 2023 at 11:56 pm

Birthdays are a blessing but can also be difficult to celebrate when you are living with PH.

How have you previously planned around PH in order to give yourself a happy birthday? Describe that birthday to us.

Has PH ever ruined a birthday for you? Share that experience with us and any insight gained that might make future birthdays better for you and other PH patients.

jen-cueva replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 32 Replies
  • 32 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 16, 2023 at 1:14 pm

What an interesting question, @colleensteele! I, like most, have spent my birthday in the hospital at one time or another. Unfortunately, we plan and miss special occasions when managing a rare disease like PH.

The one I remember most is the year the Houston Astros won the World Series. I was downtown in Houston Methodist, and my family had been called in as they didn’t think I would make it. I don’t recall this time since they have been told that multiple times.

Since my birthday is close to Halloween, even as a kid, my birthday theme was often around Halloween. I woke up a day before or after my birthday and had a huge orange plastic pumpkin full of candy on my bedside table. I also had a mini bundt cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes from my family. I thought that was the first time I had one. It was a strawberry flavor, and I was told I devoured it.

Also, I had a few gift bags from family and friends. The gifts included fuzzy socks, body spray and lotion sets, and a new pair of PJs.

I learned that birthday that your birthday is only a day. You can celebrate late or early if needed. This helps me when my PH and other health conditions pop in with increased symptoms and side effects.

That year, I also came home to many cards from so many countries and FB birthday messages that probably took a week to read through. That birthday was one I’ll always think back to each year. It wasn’t where I wanted to be, but it was a blessing. I survived and now thriving. I greatly appreciate my friends, family, and PHriends who made my birthday hospitalization special.

Oh, and lemon cupcakes another year that a friend made, and we shared with the nursing staff that year.

Thanks for taking me back there, Colleen. We both have birthdays right around the corner.

• Colleen

August 17, 2023 at 12:51 am

@jenc I love the memories that you shared because my experience and Cullen’s have been similar. It sounds crazy but some of the best memories can be made in the hospital or while recovering once you get out…even when it’s your birthday! It’s so nice to see family and friends come together to make what could be a horrible birthday, into a special and memorable one!

• jen-cueva

August 17, 2023 at 10:22 am

Thanks, @colleensteele; I am grateful for the family and friends who consistently improve my hospital time. If not while there, I always read the messages and cards once I’m home.

But spending your birthday in the hospital or not feeling your best at home isn’t ideal. But we can always make the best of it. It’s a blessing to be surrounded by love and support.

I best pre and post-transplant; Cullen and you both have spent birthdays in the hospital. How about as a caregiver? Knowing you, it was just another day because you were more worried about others than yourself.

• Linda Concoby

September 13, 2023 at 5:01 pm

Jen, following my last post re: birthday celebrations you mentioned PAH-donate. Thanks for the info. I will add another slice to the money pie to include PAH!

• jen-cueva

September 14, 2023 at 2:46 pm

Hi @Linda Concoby, that’s awesome that you’ll add PHA donations for your birthday wish. Many PHriends do a fundraiser and share it on social media during their birthday month. LMK of you need the link.

I hope your week is going well, my PHriend.

• Fran Boston Reichel

August 18, 2023 at 10:32 am

My birthday is next week on the 24th. Will be recovering from an Gastroscope the day before. Hoping to be able to have a nice dinner with my husband.

• jen-cueva

August 18, 2023 at 3:08 pm

Oh wow, @franboston, you and member @vanessavaile are birthday twins! That’s a day before my daughter’s birthday. You should do alright after your endoscope to enjoy a lovely light birthday dinner!

My upper endoscopy and colonoscopy are scheduled for the 23rd, so I hope to be ready for cake by the 25th for my daughter’s birthday!Hehe

• Colleen

August 22, 2023 at 3:18 pm

@franboston and @vanessavaile I wish you both happy birthday’s this week. No matter what is going on medically I hope you can find some special way to celebrate you!

• Linda Concoby

August 18, 2023 at 4:06 pm

So many of my birthdays and holidays have passed without much to-do. I will turn 80 in about 6 weeks, and am giving much thought to how I will celebrate!

I live in NW Arkansas. My most memorable birthday in recent years is celebrating on Signal with my son, daughter in law and granddaughter. They live in Buenos Aires. We had coffee and cake while visiting.

Thank goodness for Signal, Zoom, etc.

• jen-cueva

August 21, 2023 at 1:40 pm

Hi @lindaconcoby, this is a huge milestone you have coming up soon. You must consider what you want to do to celebrate your 80th birthday! Make it memorable, and whatever you do, do it for YOU!!

What would it be if you could do anything and health or finances weren’t an issue?

Wow, that sounds like a beautiful birthday celebration. Is that your only child, Linda? Or do you have family there in Arkansas? How old is your granddaughter?

Isn’t it wonderful to know we have all of these technological ways to celebrate with loved ones and friends, even if we can’t be in person together? Who would have known about these ways to stay connected 25 or 30 years ago or longer?

I’ve not heard of Signal. Is it calls with video, like Zoom, or text only?

Let us know what you come up with to celebrate your 80th birthday that’s coming soon.

• Vanessa Vaile

August 22, 2023 at 7:34 pm

@lindaconcoby ~ my 80th too! My son and daughter talked big plans for the occasion but (to my relief) it shrank to dinner out with my daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons (scheduled for their convenience) at a restaurant on the second floor in restored 100 year old historic building. It’s too hot for more fuss than that.

• Linda Concoby

August 29, 2023 at 9:25 pm

Vanessa, a meal with family in a 100 year-old building sounds like such fun! Happy birthday!

• Colleen

August 24, 2023 at 11:10 pm

@lindaconcoby that is a special birthday you have coming up! How would you like to celebrate it, keeping your health in mind?

I always thought it’s odd to plan your own birthday but I know more and more people, especially woman, who are doing just that. The birthday’s they have planned for themselves ranging from quiet celebrations at home, to rented halls for parties and some, even cruises. If you could plan your 80th, what would you like to do or ask someone to arrange for you?

• Linda Concoby

August 29, 2023 at 9:13 pm

Jen, Colleen – I appreciate your thoughtful comments about birthday celebrations.

Dreaming: I would be on my way back to Argentina to celebrate with my son and his family. In reality: I feel things come down to my health and my values. Some days I wake up and get so tired right away that I almost fall asleep over breakfast! It would not be practical to plan a party and not be able to attend. ( My PAH is secondary to scleroderma.)

Nor can I imagine a large party or event just to celebrate me! I’d rather give the money away.

My husband is not one for celebrations or planning. He knows I like flowers but usually chooses a bouquet he likes!  Maybe he will agree to enjoy a morning coffee by the lake. No champagne due to my meds!

I just remembered that I have a medical appointment that day.

I will ask for a tea party on Signal or Zoom with my son and family, donate to one my favorite charities and spend quiet time being thankful to God I am still alive.

I will report back! Thanks again.

• jen-cueva

August 30, 2023 at 12:08 pm

Hi @lindaconcoby, I love your idea to enjoy coffee on the lake with your husband. Hopefully, you can enjoy that before your scheduled medical appointment.

Reading your post, I see you are a “giver” and probably always give to others. Birthday celebrations don’t have to be big; it is whatever fills us with joy.

As you mentioned, Zoom tea party with your son and his family, coffee by the lake, and comnating to your favorite charity.

Do you have a specific charity in mind? PHA-Donate, not affiliated with our forums or PH News, always has a donation site and a huge giving event towards the end of the year. November is PH Awareness Month, so that’s also a perfect time to give if you want to give back to the PH community.

And always being thankful that we are here to celebrate another birthday is a gift. Thanks for sharing about your dreams and also your reality of what your upcoming birthday will be like.

• Colleen

September 13, 2023 at 10:21 pm

@Linda Concoby I hope you get to enjoy morning coffee by the lake. But a tea party on Signal or Zoom with your son and family sounds lovely too! It sounds like donating to a favorite charity and spending quiet time being thankful for life will make your heart happy, and that is all that matters!

• jen-cueva

August 24, 2023 at 3:17 pm

Hi @franboston, I hope your endoscopy went well, and you can enjoy a lovely birthday dinner this evening! Wishing you a special day and many more.

Now, we want to know what you eat for your birthday dinner. What about cake? Cheers to another year!

• Fran Boston Reichel

August 25, 2023 at 8:49 pm

Well…I had some sort of complication during my endoscopy most likely related to my tracheomalacia. They had to give me a paralytic. I’m just starting to recover this evening.

As you know, when you have multiple chronic conditions things rarely go smoothly.

• Colleen

August 26, 2023 at 12:49 am

Oh no @franboston I’m so sorry! Did the hospital keep you over night? Were they able to complete the endoscopy?

I hope you recover quickly over the weekend. Please relax and take care! Thinking of you!

• jen-cueva

August 28, 2023 at 1:29 pm

Hi @franboston, I am sorry you had complications and needed a person with a paralytic. Did you get to go home for the weekend to celebrate your birthday?

As you mentioned, there’s always a chance that things can go wrong when managing multiple illnesses. It’s frightening and can only add to our stress.

I pray you are home now and can rest as you recover and hopefully enjoy that belated birthday dinner!

• Linda Concoby

August 29, 2023 at 9:15 pm

Fran, I hope you were well enough to celebrate your birthday!

• Linda Concoby

August 24, 2023 at 4:20 pm

Thanks, Jen. I hope you can enjoy cake tomorrow!

Signal is free, and one can text, talk, send photos and videos.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Yes, he’s my only child. My granddaughter is 15!</p>
    My sister plans to come mid-October. I may  put my celebration on hold until then

More likely I will celebrate twice!

• jen-cueva

August 30, 2023 at 12:11 pm

Hi @lindaconcoby, I enjoyed a cupcake on Friday, which was yummy! I also like your thinking: celebrate twice! You deserve it!

Where is your sister visiting from, and will she stay long?

Wow, a 15-year-old granddaughter is probably a busy body at that age. I’m grateful you can use Signal to video call and check in with your son and his family.

• jen-cueva

August 30, 2023 at 12:12 pm

Hi @lindaconcoby, I enjoyed a cupcake on Friday, which was yummy! I also like your thinking: celebrate twice! You deserve it!

Where is your sister visiting from, and will she stay long?

Wow, a 15-year-old granddaughter is probably a busy body at that age. I’m grateful you can use Signal to video call and check in with your son and his family.

• Cris Dingman

August 29, 2023 at 12:35 pm

Blowing out the candles has become ALMOST too much like a lung function test! I’ll be 65 on the next one, and the only saving grace is not many cakes are big enough to hold all those candles without starting a small kitchen fire! Happy Birthday, everyone!

• Colleen

August 29, 2023 at 4:03 pm

@crisincincy how wonderful to reach an age in which the number is too many candles for a cake! When is your birthday? Have you thought about how you want to celebrate your 65th?

• Linda Concoby

August 29, 2023 at 9:19 pm

Dear Cris, happy birthday whenever it is! Every day with that adorable dog must be a celebration!

• jen-cueva

August 30, 2023 at 12:15 pm

Hi @crisincincy, I LOVE how you compare blowing out candles on your cake to a pulmonary function test (PFT). That’s so true, especially when they are yelling to “blow harder,” it’s like those darn candles that take a few times and maybe help to blow them out.

I’m not quite old, but my cake already has plenty of candles I can relate to. But I never thought of that until you shared that comparison.

Is your 65th coming this year, Cris?

• Debra Gonzales

August 29, 2023 at 7:02 pm

I am happy to be celebrating my 68th birthday tomorrow.  I was diagnosed in 2021 and was in heart failure.  I didn’t think I would be here 2 years later. Thanks to great doctors,  I am no longer in heart failure.

One of my nieces took me and family out for an early birthday dinner this evening.  Will have dinner with more family tomorrow.

• jen-cueva

August 30, 2023 at 12:19 pm

Wow, Happy 68th Birthday to you today, @debcgonz! It sounds like you started with the early birthday celebrations. That’s my kind of birthday week. Each new birthday after a diagnosis like this makes it even more special.

Best wishes to you, and enjoy another birthday celebration dinner tonight with your family. Many of you continue to feel good enough to enjoy your special day.

Will there be cake or another dessert?

• Colleen

September 13, 2023 at 10:28 pm

@Debra Gonzales happy belated birthday! Congratulations on beating those odds that were against you!

• Linda Concoby

August 29, 2023 at 9:21 pm

Debra, happy birthday! I am glad you could celebrate with family!