Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH How Is Your Family Having Fun And Avoiding Driving Each Other Crazy?

• How Is Your Family Having Fun And Avoiding Driving Each Other Crazy?

Posted by Colleen on April 8, 2020 at 7:10 pm

In my column this week I shared how my family survived another lockdown of sorts, several years ago. We did some things that really worked for us, for example, providing variety to game night and cooking together. But when things weren’t working we learned the value of respecting each other’s alone time.

How has your family been managing lockdown? What fun have you enjoyed together and in what ways are you driving each other crazy? We’re only human and so it’s natural that we might be experiencing a bit of both situations. If you are in lockdown with several people at home, share with us how you are all managing under one roof?

Colleen replied 3 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 29 Replies
  • 29 Replies
  • brittany-foster

April 9, 2020 at 8:44 am

Hi @colleensteele my family in quarantine consists of my dog and my fiance LOL. I think that we are all getting the best of each other at this point. I work from home anyways, so that really isn’t much of a change. My fiance knows when I need to get out of the house and we go for drives to get coffee or I just go for the ride to the grocery store with him without actually going in. Drives really help to clear my head. I try to spend as much time as I can outside and take my puppy on many walks. It helps clear my mind and keeps me from going too crazy inside. When you are around the same person for too long you start to get aggravated at the little things. Sometimes my boyfriend will pick dumb arguments with me. Sometimes I give in because I can tell he’s just looking for an argument so I’m like “okay, I can play this game too” LOL but most of the time I’m just like “ehhh whatever” and then go upstairs and do my own thing. I am lucky that we have a big enough apartment to stay out of each other’s way. It’s more of a townhouse and has 2 floors, 2 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms so I just stay downstairs most of the day with the dog LOL . We see each other for dinner and for walking breaks , but that’s about it ! I go crazy when someone is around me all the time. I can’t STAND it !

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2020 at 9:55 am

@Colleen, I loved reading that column. As I said, it makes me want to come on over and join game night or the family cooking. I am sure that with everyone’s home, it does get chaotic at times. Did your younger son go back to work, or is he still at home?

LOL @brittany-foster, I get it! It is just myself, my hubby and Sasha, our mini schnauzer. I am used to being home most days by myself. He has been back more than usual, and I get annoyed very easily. Now, if we had 2 levels, this may help. Hehe

Drives, like Brittany, is what helps keep me sane, well if I ever was, hehe
    That and being out in the back yard on a nice day with Sasha and enjoying some fresh air. That is where we are currently hanging out as I type. A week or so ago, my hubby told my mom that I was about to choke him if he did not get me out of the house. We often do coffee drives too. I have also tagged along to the grocery store and waited as I people-watch from the Jeep.

I have asked my hubby about a cooking showdown or a game night. He has not taken me up on that yet. He does help quite a bit with the dishes and chores around the house, as usual. He tolerates TV much more than I can, but he is getting bored fast, too. So, more drives and probably game night is coming up soon.

OMG Brittany, my hubby does that to me. He usually picks on our daughter, who hasn’t been around in over a month now. So, guess who he picks at now? I, like you, just give it back to him, just like she would. Hehe

Oh, the stories we will all have to tell once this is all over, right?

• brittany-foster

April 9, 2020 at 2:42 pm

@jenc I don’t think I ever hated an xbox system as much in my entire life !!! I can’t even watch him play his video games LOL it’s funny thought because he really is NOT bothering me at all while doing it. It’s just the sound of him talking to his friends on the headset and I’m sitting here typing thinking “SHUT IT!!” hahahaha. I’m sure you can laugh at this and picture what is happening right now! I’m telling you, if we can make it through 2 months (or more) of quarantine together, we are destined to be married. THIS right here is our marriage class for our final test hahahaha. Yea, you can get through open heart surgeries with me, BUT can you make it through quarantine? Let the games begin, Jay hahaha!

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Hehe, @brittany-foster, my hubby used to play Xbox, and that would drive me nuts!! I also love the words, “shut it,” my nurses say that I tell him that in the hospital stays when he is snoring in a chair next to me.

I love it. You have challenged him to survive the quarantine. Let’s go, Britt! Keep us posted, LOL
    I herd so making will be looking for a divorce attorney or new place to live after this. I can only imagine. A friend of my hubby usually travels each week for work, so he has been ready to fly off since the first week. That is crazy, but I bet.

I joke, I love my hubby, but he still can get on my nerves. As I am sure that I do the same, Hehe.

• dee

April 9, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
    I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4
    (Reading and focusing on positive and faith 🙂 )

• brittany-foster

April 10, 2020 at 12:25 pm

@jenc I agree! I think that it’s so important to have alone time too. And this virus situation just isn’t really leaving a lot of room for that alone time that we all need. It helps to build our sanity in a relationship LOL!

• brittany-foster

April 10, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Thank you for the positive vibes @de-ane-joan much appreciated ! Especially during these times 🙂

• jen-cueva

April 10, 2020 at 1:09 pm

So true @brittany-foster, it is important to keep our sanity through this virus, too. Alone time is something that everyone needs.

• jen-cueva

April 10, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Thank you @de-ane-joan for sharing such positivity and inspiration. We all need this during this virus. Do you read a daily devotional, or is this one verse that stood out to you to share?

What else are you doing to avoid driving each other crazy while enjoying each other?

• Colleen

April 10, 2020 at 5:54 pm

My husband often works from home so that experience wasn’t new to us. However, I’m usually running in and out all day doing errands and driving Cullen to school and medical appointments. Now, the 4 of us are home all day long. The biggest problem is that we forget that dad is constantly on conference calls and needs quiet.

@jenc Aidan did return to work this week. He explained to me all the precautions they are taking at work to protect themselves. I feel better knowing how careful he is being.

One way I have been driving my family is crazy is how I like to blare Air Supply and the Bee Gees when doing housework. Crazy choices but for some reason they have always been my music selection when cleaning. My husband has had to yell for me to turn it off because his co-workers think he is listening to it and make fun of him. HEHE!

One day Cullen called from his bedroom, “Mom, I think you are need of some music variety!” So I put Rick Springfield’s, “Jessie’s Girl” on replay knowing he hates that song. That started an Alexa war over music which had both of us cracking up laughing. I think little moments like that are what I’m going to remember when this is all over.

• Colleen

April 10, 2020 at 5:58 pm

@de-ane-joan I also find comfort in reading scripture, inspirational poetry or short stories. Did I read somewhere that you have a porch where you like to sit and read? That is where I make time for quiet contemplation. It’s a great way to stay positive! Thank you for sharing!

• dee

April 10, 2020 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Colleen. Well, my husband being home isn’t so bad, we take the dog for walks, he works a good part of the day, from home. I cook more, since he is here for all meals. He cooks some. I get irritated sometimes, he an engineer and I seem to have to say things 3 times for him to respond sometimes. But over all hard working and quieter than I am. So we are doing OK. Thankful, have a house, food, and work. If they make him go back too early in Fl he will retire. He is 72, but keeps busy and enjoys work for a Fl water management district. How are you doing at home?

• jen-cueva

April 10, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I’m glad that Aiden is taking the precautions at work. I’m grateful that he’s feeling better, too.

Too funny, when my hubby is home, we have ”Alexa wars.” I once said that I’m talking to a strange box. Now, I probably use it more often than he does. I’m on your side; I like your music choices. I need to play ”Jessie’s Girl” now. -Hehe

I’m sure that it does get hectic with everyone home. But like you said, it’s the simple and funny moments that we will remember. Like you, I usually home but running errands and to appointments. It’s a bit different.

• jen-cueva

April 10, 2020 at 9:26 pm

@de-ane-joan, it sounds like you’re doing fine at home. I love porches. I grew up rocking with my Pawpaw on his porch. So many stories were told on that porch.

Too funny, I think that my hubby has ” selective ” hearing too-Hehe.

I’m glad that y’all are doing well and have what you need. Do you think that y’all will stay in Florida once he retires? He sounds like a hard worker at work and at home. My hubby is, too. I appreciate all the little things that he does to help out. Stay safe and have a Happy Easter, if you celebrate. It’s a tad different for us here this tear. I know that I’m not alone in that.

• kristine

April 11, 2020 at 8:49 pm

I havent posted for way to long. I have read almost daily eveeyones post. I am hunkered in with 2 dogs and no other humans. It is good to hear about other people who are locked in with loved ones.

• jen-cueva

April 11, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Hi @kristine, I am happy to see your post. Please feel free to post anytime. It sounds like you’re hunkered down like us all. I’m sure that your two dogs are keeping you company. What are their names?

What area are you in? Stay safe.

• brittany-foster

April 13, 2020 at 7:31 am

@de-ane-joan @kristine good to hear from you both! Dee, I think it is better when your significant other is also working. I think it would be so hard personally to have my boyfriend home with me all day. I really enjoy the time that we get to spend together when he is home from work, but he is out most of the day during the week working. I would 100% have to be that couple that has separate study rooms or office spaces because I could just NOT work side by side him LOL. I don’t know how the couples that work together do it honestly!

Kristine, I am glad that you have your animals with you! I would be lost without mine every day. He keeps me motivated to get outside as much as I can. Some days I wish I had a really nice yard that I could just let him play in, but maybe one day that will be down the road ! Do you get out a lot to get activity?

• kristine

April 14, 2020 at 1:39 am

Jen
    my 2dogs are lacy,f am. Eskimo 14 yrs., and Zeke blk. Lab pug mix, m 3 1/2 yrs. We are in Pueblo Colorado. We have just experienced 2 crappy days of winter after several nice days.
    Brittany
    I wish i could say that my dogs are enough to get me out and active, however, i have really been caught in a very insidious state of depression. I did start pulling myself out of it after a lengthy conversation w/mom. I dogs for a walk 2 days on a row. Would have gone today but too cold. Thanks for asking and being here everyone.

• brittany-foster

April 14, 2020 at 10:06 am

@kristine it’s so important, now more than ever to be there for each other through all of this. As I said in my last post, you certainly aren’t along when it comes to feeling heightened depression or even anxiety. Personally, when I am in a state of high anxiety for a long time that usually triggers my depression. My anxiety makes me want to get up and move and makes me feel like I have to constantly be doing something. When I make my body so tired from that it’s like a vicious cycle of pulling myself back up again and finding motivation once again through it. Do you ever feel that way with anxiety and depression and how they influence one another and your mood? Do you notice any of these patterns?

• jen-cueva

April 15, 2020 at 10:42 am

@kristine,
    I am happy to hear that your conversation with your mom helped you. You are not alone. I know that for myself, my anxiety has been higher during this pandemic. It is not like we already do not have enough to worry about. This can quickly go into depression.
    I am happy that your dogs can help, but I know that you still have to work hard at motivating yourself.

Pueblo, Colorado, sounds beautiful. Do you have more difficulty breathing with a higher elevation?

Hugs to you from Texas, and know that we are here to support you. Have things improved at all for you this week? What are you doing differently?

• Colleen

April 15, 2020 at 1:48 pm

I’m so sorry @kristine to hear about your struggle with depression lately. It sounds like your mom is a great source of support for you. Sometimes talking to a special someone can really help pull you out of dark times. My mom is my go-to person as well. I don’t even have to tell her something is wrong. Even if I try to hide it she somehow hears it in my voice and will call me out on it. It’s ok if you don’t feel like getting out with your dogs at this time. Just enjoy them from home as much as I’m sure they love and appreciate you.

• Colleen

April 15, 2020 at 1:59 pm

@de-ane-joan we are all doing ok here. Thanks for asking. It sounds like our husbands have a lot in common. My husband was a nuclear engineer when he was in the Navy and now he’s a senior systems administrator. I too have to repeat things to my husband because he is so good at blocking out distractions when he is working or focused on something. I don’t know how he does it. I’m constantly aware of everything around me…to a fault! Funny thing is sometimes a 15 minutes could go by and he will suddenly respond to something I said. So he is listening, just not always quick to respond. Is your husband like that?

He loves to cook and is the one who prepares most of our meals. However, he is a messy cook, so it’s my job to clean up after him.

I hear you about being thankful. We are lucky that we both have jobs in which we can easily work from home. We are thankful to have a home to work and spend time with our family. This has been a good opportunity to appreciate the little things in life that make a big difference.

• jen-cueva

April 16, 2020 at 10:26 am

@colleensteele, I did not realize that your husband was in the Navy, too. My hubby was also. Thank you and your family for that. I love hearing stories about your husband because they always make for laughing. He sounds like such a character.

On not listening and answering later, I thought that was all men-Hehe (JK for the men here)

• Colleen

April 16, 2020 at 4:28 pm

@jenc my husband is a quite guy with a dry sense of humor. Yes, he was in the Navy and on a sub. When we met he was on desk duty and waiting to be medically discharged. He was hit head on by a drunk driver which crushed both his ankles. One of the breaks was so bad his ankle had to be fused. That pretty much ended his Navy career. What did your husband do in the Navy and were you married at the time?

Page 1 of 2