Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

In another topic, we have been discussing naps. I wanted to ask about how many hours do you sleep per night?

For me, I need 6 hours minimum to function. So, anything less, I drag all day. Do you find that you are sleeping more or less than before?

What tips can you offer others who are not getting enough sleep?

On average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Does the season make a difference? Let’s talk about this.

Carol Volckmann
      Participant

Good topic Jen. If I am able to get 6 hrs of sleep I can function till about 3:30 after that I am done in. I try to nap for 20 minutes if I can – power nap. I especially do that if we are going to a friend’s house for dinner. Fortunately our friends know that the longest I am able to hang in there is 8pm. The next day I am worn out.

I do take Tamazapan to help me sleep but, it doesn’t do very well – but without it, I won’t get much sleep.

Sleep is so important for us so I am very interested in what others have tried that have worked for them.

Sleep well 😴 tonight (I hope).

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, I am right there with you. My body post-COVID is often ready to crash by 2 or 3 PM. Often, I cannot get a simple dinner fixed on those days.

I have started to work on rest more at that time. Even if I cannot fall asleep, closing my eyes and zoning out helps me, too.

Most days, when Manny gets home about 5 or a little after, I am half asleep.

Last night I crashed on the couch at about 8 and woke up to my night med alarm at 9:30. I fell back asleep, and at 11 PM, Manny woke me up to go to bed. He said I was out hard.

Anyone else tends to do this too?

Colleen Steele
        Keymaster

@cdvol3gmail-com I’ve actually been doing really well taking Melatonin, or so I thought. It definitely helps me achieve a restful sleep without feeling hungover in the morning, but I think it might be adding to GI issues. Whenever I take it I notice my GI symptoms intensify. I read some reviews where people claim this has happened to them when taking Melatonin.

Has anyone else experience this? Really disappointed because it was really helping me sleep at night. Now I’m back to staring at the ceiling at night.

Jen Cueva
          Keymaster

I am sorry, @colleensteele, as I know, you said the melatonin was helping you. It is frustrating when one medication benefits us, but the side effects are less than desirable. GI issues are no fun; I hope that you can find something else to help you sleep.

You are an amazing caregiver, and mom and sleep is crucial for you, too.

Once you are done with your GI tests, maybe ask the GI doctor what they think and suggest any other supplements to help you sleep.

Jill Upshaw
          Participant

Colleen, I had a friend that took Melatonin and had some really bad side effects. She did sleep but when she woke up, she acted confused and not with it. Also, some GI symptoms. She quit and the symptoms went away.

Colleen Steele
          Keymaster

@upshtcx I’ve stopped taking it. I didn’t experience confusion but I do think my GI symptoms worsened when I started taking it. It’s a shame when something helps one thing but negatively effects another.

Jill Upshaw
      Participant

6 hours is my minimum but 8-9 is so much better. I do good to get 6 hours and I am always dragging. If I actually get 8-9, I have so much more energy and a better outlook on things. I wake often with pain and bathroom calls. I don’t really have any suggestions. If I nap, then I don’t sleep well at all.

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Hi @upshtcx, I, too, need 6 hours minimum, but prefer 8-10. I, too, find that I wake up most often with pain.

My pain doctor recently increased my night pain meds which helped for about a week. Now, she ordered a topical cream that she hopes to help with pain when my oral meds don’t.

What pain most contributes to you not sleeping?

In the daytime, naps are difficult for me. I close the blinds or wear an eye mask to make it dark; that helps some days.

Jill Upshaw
      Participant

I have gout, pseudogout and arthritis so it can be anything. Lots of joint damage. Chest pain and or discomfort. I sleep better on my right side but it runs me to the bathroom. I keep it dark with fans plus my oxygen and CPAP so it is noisy in there. I have a very soft adjustable bed that helps a lot. I can change position easily and it has vibrating settings that help me dose off. I also have bone spurs in my neck so it wakes me up too.

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Oh my @upshtcx, I am sorry that you have so much pain throughout your body. That certainly impacts your sleep. I, too, have chronic pain and gout that hurts like heck at times.

You know that feeling all too well, I am certain.

I, too, have an adjustable bed but no massaging or vibration. That would probably rock me to sleep. Well, unless I am nauseated and want the bed to be still.

I wake up often with pain and move to the couch. But some nights, with my pain medication and creams, I tend to sleep several hours before waking up.

Dawn
      Participant

Hi Jen. I’ve had issues with sleeping since my late teens/early 20s, and I think mainly because of that I struggle getting up and moving in the mornings. I like to get 8-9 hrs of sleep a night, preferably closer to 10 hrs. I usually have a couple/few nights weekly where I toss and turn for hours. I am currently working on making myself get out of bed if I’m not asleep within 15/20 minutes of going to bed, then trying again once I feel I could go to sleep. It does seem to help.  I am usually so anxious for sleep that I take far longer to get out of bed than 15/20 minutes. A decent night for me is 6+ hours, the nights that really make me drag the next day are the 2 hours or less nights.

I do nap sometimes, but usually only on the weekends. I don’t do well with short, ‘power’ naps. I like 1.5-3 hour naps! I do tend to fall asleep on the couch at times, especially if I did outside work or after the farm on Saturdays. With the medications I’m on, there aren’t many options for sleeping pills but at least with the cpap I feel much better when I get a decent night’s sleep. Before my sleep apnea diagnosis/treatment it didn’t matter how long I slept, I was always exhausted. They told me after my sleep apnea testing that for every hour I thought I was getting sleep I was actually only getting about 20 minutes.  What I really love are those nights when I go to bed, and wake up the next morning in the same position I started in and don’t even remember falling asleep because it happened so fast!

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Hi @dawnt, happy to see you post again. You have been missed.

My hubby sounds like he has sleep apnea but will not get tested. On workdays, he gets about 5-6 hours of sleep. He often makes up for it when he is off by sleeping until 8-9.

So many who have sleep apnea say that they wake up rested so much more once they start using their CPAP. It sounds like you have that feeling, would
        that be correct?

I like the suggestion about getting up if you toss and turn for a bit. I did that often before COVID. I have not tried that since. I love those nights that you describe. I think those nights offer the best sleep.

I also love to wake up thinking it is later than t is and feel rested. Do you know what I mean?

Jill Upshaw
        Participant

I used to have a huge bathtub with a large TV. When I got bad with the gout, I would take very long soaks with the jets on, drink lemonade and watch TV until it somewhat eased. I can’t do that anymore at all. My tub is little and I am too weak to get in and out. I have thought about a walk-in tub but not sure I could stand the heat anymore and don’t want to waste the money. But that is still a thought. We just have to do whatever works for sure. And what works today may not work tomorrow…..just do the best we can.

Dawn
      Participant

I definitely know what you mean Jen! Feeling really rested on less sleep than you thought you got is always great. The cpap took some getting used to, but it’s so worth feeling better. Those days of sleeping as much as I could because I felt so tired even after what I thought was a good night of sleep were so draining.

I tried replying to your post from yesterday about how I’m doing, multiple times, but keep getting the error message ‘your reply cannot be created at this time’.  I’m doing ok, but had a disappointing appointment this past Tuesday. Was hoping to be able to switch back to a portable concentrator that has a higher setting than the one I used before I had to switch to tanks. Didn’t get through even half of a six minute walk test with the portable before they stopped it due to my oxygen levels going too low. They also did a walk test using my oxygen tank, and found I needed to change from 4 lpm to 6 lpm to stay in the right range. That concerns me, but didn’t surprise me due to how exhausted I was getting when I’m doing much of anything, but I have a right side cath coming up so we’ll get that checked out.

I also wanted to say to @carol-alexander that while I totally understand feeling embarrassed with the physical limitations/changes of medical issues, we are still the people we were before these issues. Medical issues or not, we are all just doing our best to get through our lives. I wish for you to take away the burden of undeserved embarrassment from yourself.
      <div></div>

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account