Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health How Much Effort Are You Putting Into Christmas?

• How Much Effort Are You Putting Into Christmas?

Posted by Colleen on December 8, 2020 at 8:05 pm

Christmas can be a bit of a challenge physically and emotionally for those living with PH and co-existing conditions. If you are celebrating the holiday how much effort are you putting into it?

My column this week discusses the small ways you can participate and bring joy to the season through small ways. If you are feeling too ill to decorate I suggested bringing out at least one thing that you know will lift your spirit. What would that one thing be for you? For me it’s an elf Christmas cuckoo clock that my parents also have. Every time it goes off on the hour it makes me smile and think of them.

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2020/12/07/spreading-christmas-joy/

Liz Reyes replied 3 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Carol Volckmann

December 10, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Merry Christmas Colleen. A great question as so many have had such a rough 2020 and just want everything to go away BUT Colleen reaches out to remind us to bring out the little joys for the season!

Last year traveling in our motorhome and not having much space, we brought out out little Charlie Brown Christmas tree and found one little red ball to put on it then surrounded the tree with 3 teddy bears ????. We haven’t felt like going through all the decorating this year except some lights outside.

When I went to the forum and saw Colleen’s post – out came Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree and the 3 bears!
    Thank you Colleen. 2021 IS going to be better and we do have a reason to celebrate this holiday season.

We wish everyone a joyful NEW YEAR filled with hope and promise.

• Colleen

December 11, 2020 at 6:01 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com Merry Christmas! it makes me so happy to hear that I inspired you to bring out your Charlie Brown Christmas tree and 3 bears! I didn’t use all my decorations this year either but I pulled out my favorites. How are you and your husband doing?

• Carol Volckmann

December 12, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Merry Christmas Colleen. We wish you and your family a season filled with hope, promise and joy.

Thank you for asking, my husband Dick and myself are doing okay across the Sound. It is difficult not to be able to be with family as you know. We will find moments to zoom and talk and tell stories. When the grandchildren were little we found the book Twas the Night Before Christmas where you could record your voice so Dick recorded his voice to tell the story. It was a treasure.

Your Christmas Cup of Tea brought tears to my eyes – warm tears. It reminded me of a beloved Aunt. Thank you for taking me back to those memories.

Warmest wishes for you Colleen and a special hug as you do so much for so many. You and your family are in my heart ❤.
    Carol

• Colleen

December 14, 2020 at 12:39 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com thank you! You often say such nice things that make me feel good about the work I do here. I say work, but it is so much more than that. You all mean a great deal to me.

I’ve heard of those books where you can record yourself reading the story. You know what, that might actually be a nice gift to send to my parents. They live in NJ and are missing us.

I hope you and Dick continue to stay warm, healthy and happy this season.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 15, 2020 at 2:35 pm

Hi Everyone! I hope all is well. I ordered all my gifts online this year. I did miss shopping and picking out special little things that I normally add to my kids gifts but I still did a good job. I wrapped everything myself but I really thought about throwing everything in a gift bag! Lol I am not doing all the cooking I normally do, I physically just can’t do it anymore. I ordered a few cookie trays and a deli tray for Christmas Eve. I tired to keep a few things as normal as possible, we did set up a tree and decorations. My daughter goes for open heart surgery in January so I want her to have a nice Christmas this year. I hope everyone has a nice and relaxing holiday!

• Colleen

December 15, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Hey @shannon4jk it’s nice to hear from you! Your Christmas sounds warm and happy. You made the changes you needed to make to stay well and still found other ways to enjoy the holiday. Great examples of how you can do that.

When your daughter’s surgery gets closer please remind us so we can support you and keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

Merry Christmas!

• Gayle Ward

December 15, 2020 at 3:28 pm

Merry Christmas to all. This year has been difficult with COVID and being home bound since Feb 15. My Christmas wish was to get a vaccine and my wish has been granted. For the holidays we will be alone but I am baking cookies for my kids and just dropping them off. Find what makes you happy at Christmas and do that. My Christmas tree is lite up everyday and it still brings a smile to my face. Warm holiday wishes. Gayle

• Jimi Mcintosh

December 15, 2020 at 11:30 pm

2020 has been a year to remember, 7 Covid tests, kidney surgery, macular hole surgery. Deepening kidney issues, AFIB, frequent obstacles..

We are planning a smaller Christmas with 4 people for dinner, gifts for the grandkids and hopefully watching the newest member, who cut teeth at 4 months, try to walk, by-passing crawling. We are praying that 2021 will be better, cause my wife and I are having surgery a day apart.

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and the courage to kick PH in the rear end. Do not let your mind become your worst enemy, live the best life possible, each day is a blessing and miracle.

• Colleen

December 16, 2020 at 8:00 pm

@jimi that is a lot in one year for a person to go through. When are the surgeries scheduled for you and your wife? Do you have someone available to help you both at home during recovery?

What you have planned for Christmas sounds perfect. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• Carol Volckmann

December 16, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Wishing you Jimi and your family a Christmas filled with hope and promise. You have so much on your plate but you have a great attitude to see you through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please take care of yourself. 2021 is a whole New Year!

• V.R. Peterson

December 17, 2020 at 3:05 pm

We brought out our Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and my husband put up a small string of lights. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy every time I see it.

Since my son and his wife work in the public sector (her at a large hospital, him at a grocery store), they’re staying away to protect hubs and me. I ordered their gifts (including stocking stuffers) Online.

• Colleen

December 18, 2020 at 1:46 pm

@mamabear007 our tree is looking a bit on the Charlie Brown side. It’s old and got attacked by a kitten last year. It has seen better Christmases but yet I still enjoy it.

I’m sorry you won’t see your family this Christmas, like so many, but like you, I think it is better to be safe than sorry. We will all make the best of it and if anything, it’s a Christmas we won’t forget.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

• Jimi Mcintosh

December 21, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to my extended family at the “PH” group. It has been an eventful year that has pushed most of us to PTSD limit, thru
    Faith and determination, we have almost made it to the finish line.

Thanks for your support on those times when it seemed easy to quit and let the chips fall where they may. Our journeys have taken many paths and been full of pitfalls and obstacles, together we have forged on. Hopefully many of us will be near the front of the covid vaccine line and our stress level will go down. Here’ celebrating the end of 2020 and B prayers and good wishes for 2021.

• Jimi Mcintosh

December 21, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to my extended family at the “PH” group. It has been an eventful year that has pushed most of us to PTSD limit, thru
    Faith and determination, we have almost made it to the finish line.

Thanks for your support on those times when it seemed easy to quit and let the chips fall where they may. Our journeys have taken many paths and been full of pitfalls and obstacles, together we have forged on. Hopefully many of us will be near the front of the covid vaccine line and our stress level will go down. Here’ celebrating the end of 2020 and B prayers and good wishes for 2021.

• Colleen

December 21, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Thank you for the thoughtful message @jimi. I know it has been a rough year for you and I pray that 2021 will be kinder to you. Merry Christmas!

• Darla McCollim

December 22, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Merry Christmas everyone. Each year i have 2 lists. The one I want to do and the one I have to do. Being a nurse my family isn’t rigid on holiday traditions because I always had to work odd hours and days when my kids were little. Things keep getting knocked off the want to do list and with covid restrictions we settled on a very quiet relaxed family holiday. Yet I mourn all the things I no longer can do. It’s always a process but I am blessed with an understanding family. Peace and Joy to all.

• Liz Reyes

December 23, 2020 at 10:14 am

For me it’ll be food. I (intend) to cook something we normally wouldn’t have , think of passed family , cuddle with pets.