This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Brittany Foster 1 month ago.

• Author
     Brittany Foster 
    Keymaster

Many of us are on diuretics to help with water retention and may have been told specific amounts of fluid that we should stick to during the day. I have never been given an exact amount of fluid that would be “appropriate” for me. My doctors just base it off of how I’m physically feeling.

It can be difficult when figuring out how much water is enough and how much water is “too much” for your body. There are times when I drink 6 cups of water a day and don’t have much bloat, and other days I drink just a few cups and have a lot of bloating and swelling. I try to stick to a good amount of water (usually around 6 cups a day). I try to avoid getting dehydrated. I know when my body needs water because I start to experience symptoms of dehydration like cramping of the muscles, dizziness, and low blood pressure.

How much water do you usually drink in a day? Do you track your fluid intake? Do your doctors give you specific guidelines for water and fluid if you are on diuretics?

Robin Webster 
    Participant

I was told to keep my daily fluid intake under 2 liters, but that wasn’t just what I drink. That is to include fluid from things like fruit, soups, etc. And as far as dehydration, my doctor has told me that he actually wants me to stay borderline dehydrated in order for my PH meds to work appropriately. At first I tracked my fluid intake religiously, but now after five years or so, I can pretty much just tell. I’m on quite a bit of diuretics, but unfortunately due to a G.I. bleed and a combination of huge weight loss, I’ve run into some problems with “low volume” causing acute prerenal failure, so all my diuretics were stopped for three days this past weekend and they have been resumed at half the amount they were before. Hopefully that takes care of that issue, and maybe I’ll even be able to stay at the lower amount. (Previously I was on 80 mg of lasix twice a day with an additional one to be taken at my discretion if I had any edema.) I don’t know if anyone else has run across this, but I’ve noticed that when I take my first diuretic of the day has a huge impact on how well it works. I wasn’t told this by a physician, but a relative who was on it told me that if she took hers very early in the morning (when she first got up to pee and then went back to bed, lol!) instead of when she got up for the day, it worked like crazy … but not so much if she took it later in the morning when she stayed up and started her day. I’ve found this to be absolutely true for me, too.

Brittany Foster 
      Keymaster

Hi Robin,
      It sounds like you have a good grasp on the signs your body is giving you when it is feeling off or dehydrated. I hope that he difference in the lasix dosage starts to help. It is always good when you have some type of regimen that works for you and with your body best. I always take mine when I first get up and could NEVER go to bed after taking it because I would probably pee the bed. Although, mine usually works best when I have been up and moving because it gets everything flowing in the right direction and I end up peeing more when I’ve been active at the beginning of the day !

Lesli Shambly 
      Participant

I’m consuming a more than 3L water daily, and Feeling a fresh and active on work and healthy as well.

Brittany Foster 
        Keymaster

Lesli,
        That’s amazing to hear. Water has helped me so much with flushing out my system. I feel like it is the best “detox” out there. Especially after all the procedures I have been getting that require some level of anesthesia or sedation, it’s important to flush out the system as best as I can. Do you just drink these liters in water or do you use other fluids too in this intake?

Jessica Kiser 
    Participant

I’m supposed to stick under 2L but I have trouble. All of my pills give me dry mouth and I’m on a large amount of diuretics, so I end up drinking more. It’s a catch 22 with me. I had a disease other than PH that requires me to stay hydrated because of nosebleeds and then PH where they want me dried out.

Brittany Foster 
      Keymaster

Hi Jessica,
      I am kind of the same way because I take medication that has the potential to dehydrate me, but I also have a condition where my blood pressure drops with standing a lot if I’m not properly hydrated and this can cause differences in blood return and blood flow to the body. so I totally can relate to what you’re saying with it being a “catch 22”. Do you end up just basing it off of how you feel? Or when your mouth is dry maybe having something like gum might help to increase some saliva production in your mouth or hard candies? This is something that has helped me !

Jessica Kiser 
        Participant

I definitely use gum and mints as a go-to when I’m somewhere that I can’t have water or am hitting my fluid “limit”. But yeah, I typically just base my fluid intake off of how I’m feeling and how thirsty I am. I drink like a horse though, so sometimes it’s super hard to judge.

Brittany Foster 
        Keymaster

Jessica,
        I totally get it! I know that it can be so hard to judge how much we are actually drinking and taking in for fluids. Especially because fluid doesn’t necessarily just have to be water. I always know when I overdo it with the fluid intake though because my hands are usually swollen and my abdomen is swollen the next day! Do you get any of these symptoms if you have taken in too much?

Kimberly 
    Participant

I’m allowed 2L a day and I take a lot of diuretics. I constantly feel thirsty and have dry mouth. I usually keep sugar free life savers in my pocket to help with the dryness.

Brittany Foster 
      Keymaster

Hey Kimberly,
      Before I read your post I posted a similar suggestion to yours about the lifesavers ! It does help me with dry mouth to have some type of lifesaver, mint, or sour hard candy to have!

Jen Cueva 
    Participant

Definitely a catch 22 here ! It’s often hard to maintain the balance and what works one day may not the next, for me, anyway!

I was just put on 1.25 liters per day , although they want me to be more conscious about the “ free “ water , so soups and other liquids I am cautious but more so with just free water ! I have kidney disease as well so my PH doc and Nephro try to work together ! My PH Doc for years ( previously) never had me on fluid restriction!

As I just told them both , the meds make my mouth so dry , so often I keep jolly ranchers, tic tacs, and other hard candy to suck on. Definitely don’t suck on ice , when my iron was so low I ate ice and got so bloated !

Brittany Foster 
      Keymaster

Jen,
      you’re so right that what works one day for fluid intake might bloat you another day ! I find that it also depends on what I eat and the hidden sodium content in foods too. When I used to go out and drink with friends I noticed that I would INSTANTLY get swollen because of the alcohol. I haven’t drank in months because of what has been medically going on with me, but it was incredible how fast my hands would swell up and my face was always swollen the next day. If I went to a party with rings on, I would always leave with them in my pockets because it HURT when they would swell.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen