• Posted by Colleen on April 7, 2020 at 8:00 am

Easter is this Sunday and I was wondering who else will be celebrating it and how?

I’m putting a few Easter decorations out on my porch and in my yard that I will enjoy, and hopefully my neighbors will too. We will be making a ham, scalloped potatoes and other fixings (shopped for ingredients thru home delivery). Even though my boys are grown I still put together Easter baskets for the 4 of us. I don’t think my family is expecting them this year but I braved the store several weeks ago and hid the treats. Calls will be made to grandparents and other family and friends. It will be a good time to reach out to extended family and see how they are doing. We will also watch Mass on-line. Other than that we’ll probably enjoy a movie or play a board game together.

How will you be celebrating Easter during lockdown this year?

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 7, 2020 at 12:46 pm

This is a perfect topic, @colleensteele. I do remember that you were putting up Easter decorations a few weeks back. Did you take a picture to share with us? I did not plan anything yet as far as Easter. My hubby works, so I will probably tune in to the live recording of our church services.

You are so well planned out. I forgot that Easter was so close, so I have not ordered anything just yet for our dinner since it is only the two of us. It will be awkward as my dad usually comes, and we also celebrate with my sisters and their families. We will have to do a Facetime call with them. My dad is not traveling here, of course.

I am placing an order today, so maybe I can add a small ham or something. Like I told my mom earlier on a call, He will rise if I have ham or not. She laughed but said, true. Anyone else, unorganized like me? I am usually pretty organized, and this pandemic has me off a bit.

• brittany-foster

April 7, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Hi Colleen,
    Easter is one of the celebrations that I really look forward to every year. My family is not very religious, but we do celebrate Easter with some egg hunts, some dying of easter eggs and of course a big family meal where everyone comes over. It’s so eerie to not have the family over for occasions like this and for birthday parties. Usually my mom’s side of the family has about 20 to 25 people at a house at one time. To not have that around the holidays and around celebrations has been really hard. I really enjoy this time with my family. What creative ways are people STILL going to see their family on the holiday?

• Colleen

April 7, 2020 at 7:42 pm

Well…remember how I said I already bought Easter candy and stashed it away to surprise my family on Easter? My dear husband, knowing how much I enjoy putting Easter baskets together but not knowing that I already bought candy for them – ordered more! I don’t think the baskets will hold all of the candy we have now! So much candy while in lockdown is going to be dangerous! LOL!

@jenc in order to get all of the essentials we needed for our Easter meal we had to order from two different supermarkets. Honestly, I lost track of time too. Luckily we got most of what we ordered, including ham. I like what you told your mom, “He will rise if I have ham or not.” How is she doing?

@brittany-foster when we are all free to roam again maybe your family can have a big combined party with birthday and Easter decorations…and whatever might get missed during the lockdown. It is such an odd feeling not being able to be with the ones we love during these special events.

• jen-cueva

April 7, 2020 at 8:39 pm

@brittany-foster, same here, it’s a bit eerie. I won’t even see my kids at Easter. We don’t usually have as many as y’all do. But we do still dye eggs, hurt them or play a scavenger hunt. Of course, lots of food. It’s at least 10-16 people usually.

I like @colleensteele’s idea of celebrating all that you miss afterward. My older sister’s birthday Saturday, then Easter day, her daughter, my niece turns 16!

• jen-cueva

April 7, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Oh, we know where to get Easter candy,@colleenstee @c- Hehe
    That’s too funny if your hubby is like mine, I wanted to be sure he had some candy left for him, also.

Thanks for the tips, oh I’m not sure if I’ll order from stores, but will see. Sadly, I have to wait and see what the first order brings first. So, we may be having a whatever is available on Easter meal, lol.

My mom is OK, thanks. Of course, she calls daily if she doesn’t hear from me. She worries about me. Which, I understand being a Mom myself.

How are your parents doing through all of this?

• brittany-foster

April 8, 2020 at 11:20 am

@colleensteele I like the idea of a big celebration to cover all of what we missed. It’s going to be a “Happy St. Easter’s birthday/graduation/engagement party” hahahaha the St. Easter covers St. Paddy’s day and Easter hahahaha!

• brittany-foster

April 8, 2020 at 11:29 am

@jenc and @colleensteele those Cadbury eggs though with the hard shell! That’s the good stuff. And the Reeses eggs. YUPPP!!!

• jen-cueva

April 8, 2020 at 12:56 pm

Oh, @brittany-foster, those hard shell Cadbury eggs are the best! I used to like
    Reese’s eggs but not a fan in the last few years. If @colleensteele has any extras, you can have the Reese’s, now any Cadbury eggs with the hard shell, we may have to share-Hehe.