• hyperbaric oxygen chambers

Posted by Patricia on October 16, 2018 at 12:05 pm

I’m currently living at altitude (5-6000ft) and on oxygen. I don’t need oxygen when I go to sea level but always feel tired while living at altitude because, though I have oxygen, the barometric pressure is reduced at altitude.

Has anyone heard of hyperbaric chambers and if they are effective for mitigating the the effects of altitude? Either 8 hours of sleeping in a personal chamber (at sea-level with oxygen > 21%) or just an hour a day with 3x pressure and 100% oxygen?

I can’t find any literature on this….other than mountain sickness for climbers and hyperbaric chambers…

Appreciate.

Kathleen Sheffer replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

October 16, 2018 at 4:40 pm

Hi Patricia,
    Really interesting topic and great discussion post. I have heard of these chambers for assisting with different wound healing but haven’t heard of it used in this way. I’m actually really interested in this now and knowing more information on it. I’ll do some research and see what I can find. I wonder if this is something that could be covered by insurance as a type of therapy for those on oxygen too and how often someone would have to do this to get benefits from it! How did you first hear about it ? Have your doctors ever talked about this?

• Patricia

October 16, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Brittany, haven’t seen any literature or docs talking about it … which makes me think it wouldn’t be covered by insurance. Most of the literature doesn’t address living at altitude and the pressure. (i’m not the patient, my mom is) You need pressure to force the oxygen through the barriers from lungs to blood and blood to tissue … so oxygen only isn’t sufficient for her to feel better …though it keeps the oximeter readings high (which just states blood oxygen … not what is getting to your tissues)

I don’t see medical literature on this yet … maybe oversees. Sometimes the US doesn’t recommend something if not covered by insurance … don’t know if there are trials…actually, don’t care. Just want to try and if she feels better, then great … but need to know that there are no adverse affects for her)

In ABQ it costs $150 per 90min session for 1.4ata and 96% oxygen … but there are home units for < $10k. Sleeping in one might be the ticket. Just looking to see if anyone has tried or seen literature.

Thanks for helping to research, Brittany!

• Kathleen Sheffer

October 16, 2018 at 7:04 pm

This sounds like a huge step up from supplemental oxygen. How many liters is your mom on right now? If her supplemental oxygen is managing her symptoms at elevation, I don’t think this sort of extreme measure would be indicated.

Completing three 90-minute sessions per week would surely have an impact on your mom’s quality of life. Additionally, use of hyperbaric oxygen chambers can come with serious complications, including lung damage. I’m certain her doctors would recommend moving to sea level before trying something like this.