Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health I Am A Worrier Warrior, what about you?

• I Am A Worrier Warrior, what about you?

Posted by Colleen on June 30, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Have you ever read the book, “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” by Richard Carlson? It’s an old self-help book that came out in the 80’s. I read it for the first time in the 90’s as a young adult starting out in the world and learning how to deal with a lot more to worry about that what I was use to.

As I mention in this week’s column, “A worrier Warrior Who Learned Not To Sweat the Small Stuff”, the book changed my life for a few weeks. But slowly I returned to my old habit of worrying about things, big and small.

It wasn’t until my son was diagnosed with PH that I developed a deeper appreciation for some of the points the books makes. There is a lot of little stuff I don’t sweat about any longer and what I do worry about, I have come to define as advocating. What do you think? Is there a difference between worrying and advocating?

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2021/06/28/worrier-warrior-sweating-small-stuff/

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

July 1, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Oh, @colleensteele, you did a PHenomenal job on this piece! I, too, am a worrier and warrior. But, I often do start sweating the small stuff and remind myself that it is not a big deal; that helps me to refocus.

I thought that I had that book but never finished it, but it may have been a borrowed book from the library. Now, I need to kook on my bookshelf. I know this book was one of the books I planned to read.

If not, I will see if I can read it for free on Amazon.

I love how you shared some of your favorite lessons and how your thoughts and worry made a pivot when Cullen was diagnosed with PH. Then came his transplant; you are a worrier warrior maybe, but most of all, an advocate for your son, Cullen, and all of us in the PH community.

Thank you for sharing another excellent column with some important reminders.

• Colleen

July 1, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Thank you @jenc! It’s funny but this book really did stay in my mind over the years. Every now and then a situation will make me think of it. I do think it is a helpful as long as you go into it accepting that your not going to be able to follow all of the advice. We are human after all.

It’s sad. I looked up the author, Richard Carlson. He died when he was 45 from a pulmonary embolism during a flight from San Francisco to New York where he was going to promote a new book. It looks like his wife has continued to write and does pod casts.

https://dontsweat.com/

• jen-cueva

July 2, 2021 at 10:17 am

Hi @colleensteele, thanks again for sharing.

That is horrible about the author dying from a blood clot during a flight. It is not uncommon, but he was so young.

The link is not working on my end, but it may be a Chrome issue. I will try and view it again later.

Your thoughts going in and expectations are excellent tips.

I have it on my reading list. That is awesome that his wife continues to write and do podcasts. Have you listened to any?

• Colleen

July 2, 2021 at 9:09 pm

@jenc I just found out about the podcasts so I haven’t listened to any yet. If you do end up reading the book let me know what you think.

• jen-cueva

July 16, 2021 at 1:17 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I ordered a used copy of the book so that I could highlight texts. I have been trying to read a few pages each night.

One of my faves so far is living in the present. Although I tend to think I do this most often, I, too, need a gentle reminder at times.

It reminds us that “now is the only time we have, and the only time we have any control over”. …

So many other important reminders for certain. I think I will keep this book around for a long time. Thanks again for the reminder to grab it and read it, @colleensteele.