Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Research and Development What do you think of Medtronic’s implantable pump?

• What do you think of Medtronic’s implantable pump?

Posted by Kathleen Sheffer on August 2, 2018 at 9:00 am

On Tuesday, Medtronic announced receipt of FDA approval of their Implantable System for Remodulin (ISR). Composed of the company’s implantable drug infusion pump and a newly developed intravascular catheter, the system will deliver Remodulin intravenously to patients who have been receiving Remodulin through an external infusion pump. Read more about it on our news site, or straight from Medtronic’s press release.

Those of you on Remodulin, would you consider transitioning to an implanted pump? I know some patients have been anxiously awaiting its release. I listened to presentations about the possibility of implanted pumps years ago at PH Conferences before I had my transplant.

Medtronic writes that the ISR is indicated only for patients in functional classes I-III (read more about PH classification here), not for patients with the most severe symptoms.

Have you heard about this research before? Will you discuss it more with your doctor to see if you are eligible and if it is the right therapy option for you? Why or why not?

Kathleen Sheffer replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kathleen Sheffer

October 8, 2018 at 1:04 pm

@michaelporcaro is wondering if anyone has started on the implantable pump? What has your experience been with it?