Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Introducing Our New Co-Moderator

• Introducing Our New Co-Moderator

Posted by brittany-foster on May 8, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Thank you everyone for your interest in helping with the moderator position. Before we sent out a message to those in the forums, we were in the interviewing process as well. I am happy to announce that our new forum moderator who will be co-moderating the forums with me is Colleen Steele !

I know that these forums mean so much to all of us on here and I am so grateful for everyone’s continued input and feedback. That’s what helps keep our forums growing and helps to spread the word! As many of you know, I will be taking a short break next week (probably for a little over a week) to have my heart surgery. I will be back on when I feel okay and up to typing and being alert. It would be so much appreciated if those who frequent the forums often (you know who you are) and those who may not be as active in the forums can help keep the conversations flowing while I’m away.

Here is a message from Colleen, who I know is such a great fit and will be of great support !
    “Hello, I am looking forward to being your new forums moderator alongside Brittany. I live in WA state and my background with Pulmonary Hypertension is as caregiver to my son. He became symptomatic at age 6, diagnosed with idiopathic PAH at 8 and received a heart and double lung transplant at 14. He will be celebrating 5 years post transplant in August and is now 19! I just celebrated my 24th wedding anniversary and have another son who is 18 and healthy. I hope to give a positive caregivers perspective to the forums and become a source of support for our members.”

It is so great to have Colleen with us ! I know we have such a kind and welcoming community here. Please feel free to tell her a bit about yourself too!

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 9 months ago 7 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • kathleen-sheffer

May 8, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Thank you all for helping to make this a smooth transition. I’m grateful that @colleensteele is joining us to share her experience and facilitate discussions. I met Colleen when her son was 10 years old and I was 17! Their family has always sought to be involved and informed in our community. I adore them!

I really appreciate those of you who have stepped up and posted topics of your own and been extra responsive in my absence. I have 9 straight days of photoshoots starting tomorrow, but hope to back online later this month. Love you all!

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Kathleen,
      Sounds like you’re definitely staying busy with your photography! How exciting that must be! Please don’t forget to check in with us often. You’ve been a huge part of the forums as well. So excited you have found someone with the transplant experience who can help others dealing with that. It sounds like Colleen is a great fit!

Colleen, if you need anything I have been trying to check everyday or not every other day . I’m not a pro here but I have lots of years experience living with PH.

• brittany-foster

May 8, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Thank you so much, Jen. All of your contributions and your engagement in the forums means a lot to me and all others on here looking for support and guidance ! I will definitely send you the snack list hahaha. I’m sure I will have a mix of cravings once I’m able to eat again. I know at first I have to stick to a lot of softer foods and work my way up! Is pasta a snack? LOL because I LOOOOOVE Annie’s Mac and Cheese hahahaha!

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Brittany , Annie’s Mac and cheese is my kind of snack, lol 😂

Y’all are so cute and I’m laughing at you Brittany with your 20 year plan for the wedding !

Kathleen, amazing and I’ll be looking for your photography page on FB, you have one, correct ?

• vanessa-vaile

May 9, 2019 at 3:43 pm

@brittany-foster ~ on the subject of calorie dense snacks (which I need to stay as far from as possible) and mac and cheese, have you ever crawfish mac and cheese?

• Colleen

May 9, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Crawfish Mac and Cheese? I’m intrigued Vanessa!

• brittany-foster

May 8, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Love you, Kathleen!
      You’re such a huge part of the success of this forum and I know so many people (including myself) look up to you and admire your strength and vulnerability. Now, go ROCK those photo shoots ! You gotta prepare so you can take pics for me at my wedding one day hahahaha (20 years from now) LOL . So proud of you girl!

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Welcome Colleen! I know I read a few posts from you yesterday but glad you’re here and hope we can be of help to you as well.

Brittany, I may not have internet over the weekend but hope to be online Sunday or Monday . Please know you’ll be missed and in our thoughts and prayers. Don’t forget to send me your snack list and info to send to you . You’re an awesome inspiration and I’ll be happy to help in anyway I can .

• Colleen

May 8, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Thank you Brittany and everyone for the warm welcome and for your support during my first week as co-moderator. I am excited to be here and focusing on something that has deeply touched my life! I have a wealth of experience to share but I know I will also learn so much more from all of you!

Kathleen, my family adores you too and we are beyond happy to hear about your success as a photographer! I know you have helped many here at PH News and I hope that I will follow well in your footsteps.

• brittany-foster

May 9, 2019 at 5:18 am

Colleen,
      It really is so great to have a “mix” of moderators here. It is good to have the patient perspective and also the perspective of someone like Kathleen who has undergone a lung transplant and now having you who has seen the caregiver side of things. I feel like that is such a great mix and there is so much to learn from one another here. We are lucky to have you with us and I know you will be awesome.

• jimi-mcintosh

May 9, 2019 at 9:56 am

Welcome, look forward to getting to know you better.

• Colleen

May 9, 2019 at 10:51 am

Same here, thank you Jimi!

• vanessa-vaile

May 9, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Congratulations @kathleen-sheffer ~ and anybody who hasn’t already, check out her phab photos on Instagramm, and welcome @colleensteele ~ a definite plus having a caretaker moderator. I’m encouraging my daughter to join for the caregivers and family members forum.

• Colleen

May 9, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Thank you Vanessa! I hope your daughter will join. It will be a pleasure communicating with another caregiver!

• vanessa-vaile

May 9, 2019 at 4:02 pm

At this point she’s more reliable, supportive family member than caregiver, although that’s likely down the road at some point. I’m in training to keep myself independent for as long as possible.

• jen-cueva

May 9, 2019 at 5:26 pm

Vanessa, mmmm crawfish Mac n cheese ? I’m in Texas and will have to try that, lol
        Where are you located ? Yes, staying independent as possible is the best attitude, love it!

Now back to the Mac n cheese , @brittany-foster, do you like the Amy’s frozen one? I don’t know why but I picked that up today , just have been you and your Annie’s , lol

• Colleen

May 9, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Vanessa, may you be independent for as long as possible! I can certainly appreciate that desire. I look forward to hearing from your daughter in the future as a supportive family member!

• v-r-peterson

May 9, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Welcome, Colleen! I think you’re a wonderful fit! Brittney, I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers during the next week (and beyond). Kathleen, good luck on those photo shoots!

Brittney and Kathleen, you’ve really kept the forum going. After reading through some of Colleen’s posts, I can’t think of a better person to help you guys! 😊

• Colleen

May 9, 2019 at 7:07 pm

Thank you V.R.! I appreciate the vote of confidence. Brittany and Kathleen really have done an amazing job developing and maintaining the forums. I will do my best to keep the momentum going!

• jen-cueva

May 9, 2019 at 8:41 pm

You are so right, Colleen ! @brittany-foster and @kathleen-sheffer have done a great job here in the forums. I’m sure you’ll do a great job as well. You’re doing great so far and I’m enjoying your posts.

• kathleen-sheffer

June 26, 2019 at 5:47 pm

Oh my goodness just seeing all these comments. Thank you so much, everyone! You can find me on Instagram and Facebook and read my photography-specific blog, which I’m trying to do some more writing on. I am treating myself to not writing and thinking about illness non-stop, but will check in on the rare day when I feel like my to-do list is shrinking. Much love!

• Colleen

June 26, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Any time you are able to chime in the conversation Kathleen, we would love to hear from you. You mentioned worrying about illness non-stop, I hope that’s just out of habit and that nothing is wrong.

• jen-cueva

June 26, 2019 at 8:59 pm

Aww @kathleen-sheffer, I definitely do understand your need to not focus on your illness. I hope that you are enjoying your photography and all is good with your health, I’m sure with all you’ve been through, you’ll always no ” on guard” to a certain point. Hugs to you and pop in anytime.