Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Is There a COVID Resurgence in Your Area?

• Is There a COVID Resurgence in Your Area?

Posted by jen-cueva on October 16, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Lately, as many of us are growing tired of being on lockdown and wanting to get out, sadly, many states are seeing a resurgence of COVID. What about your area? Do you see a resurgence, and what are your thoughts about this?

This article sparked my thoughts.

With election day and the holidays just around the corner, does this concern you? Why or why not? Let’s talk about this.

Dawn replied 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • V.R. Peterson

October 20, 2020 at 3:37 pm

My county is now in a heightened level than it was a week ago. I’m still doing everything I can to keep myself safe — only going out to get groceries every other week, masking up, and lots of hand sanitizer in between stores. I’m not doing anything more than I was already doing because I was following the guidelines before the county started getting more cases. I’m still concerned for my son and his wife because they both work in the public sector (my son in a grocery store and my DIL in a hospital wing with COVID cases). I don’t let the fear rule me because I know they’ve also been following the recommended protocols ever since C-19 became a pandemic.

• Colleen

October 20, 2020 at 4:47 pm

@mamabear007 agh! I’m so sorry to hear that the epidemic has increased in your area. My son was in WI for a few weeks and by the time he returned their cases were an extreme heightened level. I was really worried but he hasn’t exhibited any symptoms.

The best we can do is all the things you mentioned. I try not to let fear take over but every time I hear about someone testing positive I can’t help but feel a bit anxious.

Your son and daughter-in-law have good heads on their shoulders and I have no doubt or being as cautious as they can be. But still, I totally understand why you are worried about them. These are such hard times. I keep praying for better days ahead!

• Dawn

October 20, 2020 at 8:28 pm

I live in a college town, students went to remote learning around March and didn’t come back to campus until August. Once that happened our covid numbers have been steadily climbing. Makes me nervous, as we are nearing almost 4000 cases in our county. I have been working from home since March, and will be until at least next January. The increase in numbers does make me very aware of more people when I get groceries etc. I try to be in and out asap, and get back home where I feel safer.

• Colleen

October 20, 2020 at 9:14 pm

@dawnt it’s interesting that you mentioned living in a college town. There seems to be a connection to an increase in Covid-19 when student returned to classes and their dorms. I think that is what happened in WI. Their numbers climbed when the college towns became busy again. Take care of yourself!

• V.R. Peterson

October 21, 2020 at 10:05 am

Thank you, @colleensteele. I will keep you and those in your area in my prayers, as well (and for everybody else here).

There were two points of origin that contributed to the increase. Last month, the next county over (where there’s a college town) detected the virus in the sewage of a dormitory building. I never knew that they had surveillance for sewage, nor did I know that they could narrow it down to which of the several dormitories from which the sewage came. The other outbreak was at the high school in my county. I don’t know if they’re still holding classes at the high school or if they’ve gone back to virtual classes.

• jen-cueva

October 21, 2020 at 10:29 am

Oh no, @mamabear007, I am sorry to hear of the heightened level in your area. I know that you are already doing what you can and taking precautions. I can imagine that you do worry about your son and dil. But as @colleensteele says, it sounds like both of them know what they are doing and are protecting themselves. I help some, know that does help but being a mama bear; you will always worry.

I am sending you hugs and prayers from Texas. Take care of yourself. Are you still knitting to keep busy?

• jen-cueva

October 21, 2020 at 10:35 am

Hi @dawnt, I am sorry to hear that you see such an increase in your county. I, too, have noticed that college towns are seeing this everywhere. I worry about my nephew at UT. He is staying safe, but they are doing on-campus classes, and he lives just outside of campus in apartments for students.

I can only imagine how you worry. Does your area offer early morning or hours specific for those with medical conditions or seniors? Some areas are offering free delivery to those, too. Not in my area, unless it is a special promotion for free delivery.

Stay safe, and I know you are already doing what you can. It can still cause anxiety and fear. How are you doing mentally with all of this? I know that you have also been grieving your horse, Pumpkin. I am sending you lots of love and hugs.

• jen-cueva

October 21, 2020 at 10:37 am

@colleensteele, I am grateful that Aidan has not had any symptoms. I know that you worried about him traveling and bringing anything back. I am keeping y’all in my thoughts and prayers.

This is all so much, and all we can do is our best and pray. We will all get through this together.

-Hugs and love from Texas

• V.R. Peterson

October 21, 2020 at 10:43 am

Thank you, @jenc. Sometimes, the only way to keep our sanity in these situations is to turn the situation over to God and accept His will. That may seem fatalistic to some, but surprisingly it brings me comfort.

• jen-cueva

October 21, 2020 at 11:48 am

I agree with you, @mamabear007. I, too, often remind myself of this. God will handle all, and he is the one in control. This is such n important yet needed mindset that we all can adapt and hold on to during this challenging time. Thanks for keeping us grounded and sharing this.

• Dawn

October 21, 2020 at 6:55 pm

Hi @jenc, yes, most stores in our area have special hours for those with medical issues during covid. I’ve not heard of any free delivery. I’m doing pretty well mentally. Like your post above,and @mamabear007, I try to remind myself that God takes care of things and they will turn out as they are meant to. We try to do our part, but that’s about all the control we have. Stay safe.

• Colleen

October 21, 2020 at 8:22 pm

@mamabear007 that is really interesting. I mentioned it to my husband and he said that the government does monitor sewage for bio threats and other contaminates that could threaten public safety. Since we are still learning about Covid I’m a bit surprised that they found away to check sewage for that, and like you said, narrow it down to a specific dorm.

• jen-cueva

October 22, 2020 at 9:48 am

Hi @dawnt, have you been able to shop for your food within those earlier hours? I have not been still, so I wondered if it is emptier and safer at those times. I am happy to hear that you are doing “pretty well” mentally. We have to let go and let God, or we will go crazy.

Take care and let us know how we can support you.

• Dawn

October 22, 2020 at 6:51 pm

@jenc, I haven’t used the special times for shopping. The time set up would make me late for work, even though I’m working from home. I’ll sometimes run to the store over my lunch break, and there are usually less people there then. I get what I want/need, then get out as soon as I can!