Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Transplantation Is transplant an option over the age of 70?

• Is transplant an option over the age of 70?

Posted by Colleen on March 21, 2023 at 2:56 pm

Are you a PH patient over 70 or know someone who is in which transplant remains an option?

Forum member @amit-ramsinghani recently asked on behalf of his mom, “Has anyone done a lung transplant at 74 years old female or older?”.

Please share if you are in this age group and your doctor has mentioned that a transplant is an option.

If you know someone who has received a transplant in their later years and is not a forum member, please ask them if they would consider joining.

Colleen Steele replied 6 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 22, 2023 at 1:12 pm

Hi @amit-ramsinghani, I know a lady who has PF, not PH, and had her lung transplant at 68. She did not have any other coexisting health complications, and her team thought she was a good candidate, so she had it, and it is now 3 years post-single lung transplant. She has other issues, of course, from post-transplant and antirejection medications, but she is doing reasonably well.

I know this most often depends on the transplant centers and their guidelines and the patient’s overall condition. For example, I found this information on UCSF’s transplant eligibility site. They share that this is not always the person’s chronological age but a physical condition. You can read it using the link below.

UCSF Lung Tranplant Eligibility

I hope this helps and that maybe others who have been through transplants at different centers will be more knowledgeable. How about it @exjarhead57730 and @bill-jones? What did your transplant centers tell you as far as age? How are you both doing post-transplant?

• Colleen Steele

October 3, 2023 at 4:50 pm

@Jimi Mcintosh, I’ve been thinking of you. Last we heard, you were declined for a kidney transplant due to your age. I was wondering and hoping that maybe you have found another facility willing to list you?

Some hospitals don’t discriminate based on age. I happened upon this one transplant clinic in NJ for example. Not that you would travel to NJ for care, but I hope there are places closer to you with similar integrity.

They promise: Our nationally respected team of transplant physicians and surgeons, performing more than 300 transplant surgeries each year, work closely with experienced registered transplant coordinators, social workers, and support staff to offer new opportunities to patients whose medical conditions previously prevented transplantation as an option.

https://www.rwjbh.org/treatment-care/transplant-services/kidney-pancreas-transplant/

When you feel up to it, we would love to hear from you.