Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition It’s Taco Tuesday, What’s on Your Plate?

• It’s Taco Tuesday, What’s on Your Plate?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 18, 2021 at 11:25 am

Let’s have a bit of fun here. Today is Taco Tuesday. Most weeks, I try to plan something for dinner taco-inspired. Because it’s difficult to hold and stuff a taco, and then it falls over on the plate, I ordered these cool taco holders from Amazon. I am excited to use them tonight.

I often make a taco-inspired salad; grilled chicken fajita tacos and regular lean beef tacos are also common here. I like the crunchy tacos shells for ground beef, though. Fish tacos and taco or burrito bowls are also something we make often.

Tonight we are planning to make chicken chorizo soft tacos. I am still unsure of the other ingredients, but thinking maybe add potato or beans and cheese.

What about you? How do you Taco Tuesday? Share what’s on your plate today as you stick with the Taco Tuesday theme.

jen-cueva replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 14 Members · 69 Replies
  • 69 Replies
  • jill-upshaw

May 18, 2021 at 2:42 pm

For some reason, tacos really taste good to me these days. I live in a 55 and over community with about 500 homes. They usually have a food truck on Tuesdays that sells tacos and margaritas. Different trucks rotate. One has everything homemade from scratch that has some really good shrimp tacos. I have a gas stove so I either cook or wear my oxygen. I don’t do well without it so I do very little cooking.

• jen-cueva

May 19, 2021 at 10:11 am

Wow, @upshtcx, a taco truck with fresh-made tacos and margaritas. This may be where I need to look once I get to 55, LOL.

Yes, I do love gas stoves, but I have an electric one. I can see the concern you have about cooking with gas and oxygen. Plus, no cooking means fewer dishes.

My hubby and I talked on Friday about how when cooking for 2, it is often easier to buy prepped meals or order out. But, I enjoy cooking as much as I can -then he cleans up.

It is morning time, and now I was those shrimp tacos. A margarita sounds great, too. I have not had one in years. Tequila does not like my meds and PH body.

• terese-tuohey

May 18, 2021 at 3:56 pm

No tacos tonight. But I might consider sweet potato, corn and black bean enchiladas. Sometimes I make them vegan, and sometimes I add cooked ground beef to the mix. You might want to try that filling in a taco shell.

• jen-cueva

May 19, 2021 at 10:14 am

Interesting @tervo. I think your enchiladas sound great. Did you make them? I have had black bean taquitos. But I think your combination of black beans with corn and sweet potato sounds like something I would enjoy.

As you said, this would go great in a shell or a taco/enchilada bowl. Thanks for sharing.

• jill-upshaw

May 19, 2021 at 10:28 am

Jen, Costco has a ready-made Margarita that is made with Agave Wine and I can drink it some. No liquor and I cannot even drink a beer. Used to love beer. Costco makes a plain, one with agave wine and one with Tequila. They all look alike too.

• jen-cueva

May 20, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Hi @upshtcx, thanks for sharing about the margarita made with agave wine. I had seen their regular margarita mixes and drinks. I may need to check that out.

With my mess, I can’t really drink much. I do drink a Dos XX beer with salt and lines now and then. I love it ice cold. Otherwise, If I drink, it is usually sipping my hubby’s. I did recently have a mixed drink, but it was light alcohol and mostly mixer. But, it did have the umbrella-like a fancy drink, LOL.

I was thinking, how did my Taco Tuesday go to a drinking post. But tacos from the taco truck and ice-cold beer and margaritas go well. Even at home Taco Tuesdays, a beer or margarita would be a nice addition.

Anyone else enjoy a beer, margarita, or other cold beverage with your tacoos?

• susi-steppins

May 18, 2021 at 6:19 pm

Taco Tuesday is a great idea.
    However, tonight I am being lazy and making chili dogs.
    Dogs in a skillet for a few minutes while I heat the chili in the microwave.
    I will add sliced avacado, (I need the potassium) and then a fruit salad for dessert.
    I like this topic.
    Maybe I will become inspired for meals ahead. 🙂

• jen-cueva

May 19, 2021 at 10:17 am

Oh no, @s-steppins, I have been craving a hot dog for a few days. My hubby said that I would probably not eat one, but I loved the cheap hot dogs at Costco.

Chili cheese dogs sound yummy, with mustard and onions, yum. Sounds simple enough.

Yay for avocado. I had a slice last night on my taco.

How about the sodium in the hotdogs and chili? Does that affect your swelling?

• susi-steppins

May 19, 2021 at 5:02 pm

@jenc the sodium is definitely something I need to be careful about.
    If I told you I eat the low sodium dogs and/or chili, I would be lying.
    I usually suffer for it the next day.
    My swelling is always an issue.
    Which is why I am always adding high potassium foods to my diet.
    The diuretics usually throw me way off.

I have recently come across a drink that has helped me though.
    I am not a fan of coconut water which is very high in potassium, but I found Nestles Active Orange.
    It is specifically for adding potassium to your body and it only has 15 calories.
    I make sure that I include it in my daily liquids.

The cheap hot dogs at Sam’s Club are pretty much the same as at Costco.
    Manny is right, you probably shouldn’t. Neither should I and look where that got me. LOL

• jen-cueva

May 20, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Oh no, @s-steppins, I am sorry that you paid the price, as I say after eating your child dogs. As my hubby says, some days, we pick what we know we will pay for later.

Sadly, the sodium is often between 375-500 grams of sodium per hotdog when it comes to hotdogs. Then, canned chili is more sodium. IDK if they have a low sodium chili, but I bet they do.

I have never heard of this Nestles Active Orange that you mention. I need to look into that as my potassium is usually low or on the lower side of normal. Is this water sweetened with any artificial sweeter? Or is it just orange flavor water?

You mention you include it in your daily liquids. Are you on a fluid restriction? Do you use something to keep track? I used My Fitness Pal for years but have not been back on it since my COVID event last year. I have been telling my hubby, Manny, that I need to start back.

• susi-steppins

May 20, 2021 at 6:23 pm

@jenc the Active drink has no sweeteners in it. It tastes a bit like bitter orange.
    I actually have grown fond of the taste.
    Every now and then, especially when it is hot out, I crave something sweet to drink so I will put about 2 oz. orange juice over ice and then fill the rest of my glass with the Active.
    This gives me a little variety.
    I take such strong amounts of diuretics that my potassium often goes out of whack.
    I have almost landed in the hospital just for that.
    But now I have developed a routine to make sure that I eat enough potassium rich foods that it isn’t too much of a problem.
    Potatoes, bananas, sweet potaotes, spinach, pomegranite, sunflower seeds.
    There are many options.
    I track my fluid intake by measuring and simply keeping track in my head.
    I suppose I should have a more methodical method.
    The doctor told me that I should try and limit my fluid to about 64 oz per day.
    However, a couple of times when I have had my blood drawn they call and tell me I am dehydrated and I should drink more.
    The never ending balancing act.
    My Fitness Pal sounds interesting.
    I will have to look it up online.

• jen-cueva

May 20, 2021 at 7:18 pm

Hi @s-steppins, thanks for the information on the orange drink. I need to look for it. I, too, have been on high doses of diuretics for years. That is such a difficult balancing act. I, too, have landed in the hospital with dehydration. It is usually that or fluid overload, so I relate.

Here is a column that I wrote about this balance that you may find helpful. Let me know if you have questions.

Yes, I have been trying to keep it in my head. Sadly, with CRS, my brain is mush at times. If I don’t make a note or something, I will forget.

The My Fitness Pal lets you track food and water, so those items that are considered liquids are not accounted for. I can only trace water, which is what my PH and kidney doctor wants me to do. Mine is less than 640z.

• jen-cueva

June 1, 2021 at 11:39 am

And just like that, we are now at yet another Taco Tuesday. For me, I am a bit thrown off this week with yesterday being a holiday. So, I am unsure if I will create something Taco Tuesday-related for dinner. I bet we do have BBQ leftover that may be fine.

What about y’all? Creating anything Taco Tuesday related with leftovers or something else?

• jen-cueva

April 26, 2022 at 1:22 pm

It’s Taco Tuesday again, y’all. What’s on your menu tonight for dinner? Is anyone making anything taco-inspired? I need to pick up my groceries later, so I will be making a list to add anything because nothing sounds good yet.

@upshtcx, are tacos still tasting good for you? What types have you been enjoying? I just reread the share you did about the Costco margarita with Agave wine and wrote myself a note next time we go to Costco. Have you bought any there lately?

• kygon

April 26, 2022 at 3:38 pm

LOL we aren’t doing it tonight because we did it over the weekend but my husband’s favorite is Taco Potato night…. it’s usually something we do with the extra taco meat left overs basically a potato smothered in taco fillings, my fave is pork taco meat with red, yellow and orange peppers, avocados and or coarse cheese and sour cream.

My husband doesn’t get the swelling much is that something that will start happening more with disease progression or is it medication related? I know they told us Uptravi might increase water retention… he really doesn’t want to modify diet at all… as a serious foody this could be a very upsetting thing for him..

• jill-upshaw

April 26, 2022 at 6:12 pm

I haven’t bought any recently but I keep some in the frig…..It is good…..

• jen-cueva

April 27, 2022 at 2:44 pm

Thanks, @upshtcx; I have a screenshot to remind me to look at my next Costco trip, which should be soon. I’ll let you know if I find it. I hope that you’re enjoying a feel-good week.

• jen-cueva

April 27, 2022 at 2:09 pm

Yummy, @kygon, the taco-inspired stuffed potato sounds great! I haven’t used pork taco meat much. My usual go-to is chicken or lean beef. Last night was lean sirloin taco-inspired bowls. Is the pork you use diced or ground?

I have wanted to do a stuffed potato and side salad night for light and easy dinners.

Like Bryan, I love food and enjoy different foods. But within the last few years, my appetite has decreased, and I don’t eat as much but still love flavors.

Thanks for sharing such a fun spin on Taco Tuesday!

• Colleen

April 27, 2022 at 6:35 pm

@kygon you had me at potato! LOL! I love potato’s and I don’t know that I have ever gone the taco topping route with them except for sour cream and shredded cheese. Well, I guess we know what I will be making for dinner in the near future. Thanks for sharing!

• kygon

April 28, 2022 at 6:11 am

@Colleensteele DO IT, hahaha

• jen-cueva

June 14, 2022 at 11:33 am

Hey y’all, another Taco Tuesday idea. Tonight, I’m making fish tacos. I’ll season the fish with a cumin, cayenne, and garlic, kind of rub, and cook them in the skillet, like a blackened fish. I have red cabbage, cilantro, jalapeno, and avocado to top them with. I may make a cilantro-lime sour cream to drizzle on the top and, of course, hot sauce. It depends on how many “spoons” I have left after that.

This will be with corn tortillas and a side of black beans topped with a tad of queso fresco.

What about y’all? Are you planning a taco-inspired dinner for this Taco Tuesday? Do you like fish tacos? Do you prefer fried, grilled, or blackened?

• katie-did

June 14, 2022 at 3:03 pm

Taco Tato is what I want- Taco Salad is what I will get. Really need to lose about 40 lbs.

• jen-cueva

June 15, 2022 at 2:19 pm

Hey @genekatie, what’s Taco Tato, a place near you? Taco salad is good, too. Did you make yours? What do you like in yours? A

Have you been trying to lose that 40 pounds, or is this a new journey?

• Cris Dingman

June 14, 2022 at 3:18 pm

Taco …day (pick one, any one!) sounds great! Speaking of cooling drinks for summer, try elderflower liqueur with a few lemon slices and ice. Light on alcohol, heavy on taste!

• jen-cueva

June 15, 2022 at 2:23 pm

Hi @crisincincy, I agree; any taco is usually a good taco, hehe.

Interesting, I’ve never had elderberry liqueur. Is it more of a floral or citrus taste? What flavors do you like about this drink? It sounds interesting. I may have to try this.

• Cris Dingman

June 15, 2022 at 3:18 pm

Jen, the elderberry liqueur is tart/sweet and fruity. Perfect for hot summer days. Club soda, sprite, lemon slices, add something light to it. And speaking of baked potatoes, I swear I could live on a large russet oven baked with crispy skin, split down the middle with enough butter to have to eat it with a spoon. Healthy? Not so much, perfection? You bet! I’m envious of your neighborhood taco truck. We have an ice cream man once in awhile in the dog days of summer, but just not the same.

• Colleen

June 15, 2022 at 10:25 pm

@crisincincy oh I’m like you, I love an oven baked russet potato! I am guilty of going loaded…butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and bacon bits! Ok, now I want a baked potato!

• jen-cueva

June 17, 2022 at 10:02 am

Hi @crisincincy, the elderberry liquor sounds like something I would like. It also sounds cool and refreshing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aww, now you mention crispy baked potatoes. Have you tried making one in the air fryer? I haven’t yet but have heard from several others that it is faster, with no heating from an oven and no soggy skin from a microwave.

Now, between you and @colleensteele, I’ll be craving one. Like Colleen, I want mine loaded. Don’t forget the chives. If I’m going to splurge, I do it big time. Not healthy at all, I know, and a heap of sodium. But again, it’s only a splurge food.

• Cris Dingman

June 17, 2022 at 1:21 pm

I have hesitated purchasing an air fryer, it’s just me and hubs. I have a pressure cooker but only seem to use it for long-cooking things like beets and some weekend roasts. Are they easy to use and do you have one you could recommend? Maybe it’s time to drag myself (kicking and screaming) into the 21st century kitchen?? Crispy skin LOADED baked potatoes with enough butter to actually have to eat it like soup may be just what the doctor ordered! Or at least the quack doctor in my head that I listen to every once in awhile… btw, pass on Happy Father’s Day to all.

• jen-cueva

June 29, 2022 at 11:20 am

LOL, @crisincincy, I have an Instant Pot I use as a pressure cooker and my air fryer. In the summer, I tend to use the air fryer more. In the cooler months, I use my Instant Pot or when I want comforting foods, LOL.

My air fryer is a Power XL. I believe they sell them at Walmart and other retailers. Mine isn’t too large but large enough for hubby and me.

Crispy skin, like wings, potatoes, etc., is excellent! Last night I had a late start making dinner and used it to cook my marinated chicken breast for tacos. It turned out great.

Manny loves Brussel sprouts anyway. Me, not so much. But I always ate them roasted. Guess what? They come out so yummy and crispy from frozen or fresh in the air fryer. We also use it for sweet potatoes and much more.

How have you been this week?

• Colleen

June 29, 2022 at 4:58 pm

@jenc we got Aidan an Instant Pot. Figuring out how to use it has kind of been a bit of trial and error for him. Let me know if you have any easy, budget friendly recipes with Instant Pot instructions I can pass on to him.

• jen-cueva

June 30, 2022 at 10:32 am

Hey @colleensteele, what foods does Aidan enjoy? He can make roast, chicken and rice dishes, beans, etc., in the instant pot. Many use it to make pasta, but I haven’t yet tried pasts in mine.

LOL, I love tacos and cousin burritos. Do you buy a specific frozen burrito that y’all like? I know some do that and smother (wet) burritos in the oven or air-fried chimichangas in the air fryer.

I’ve not had a chili garlic taco sauce. What kind is that? It sounds good to me mixed with the lime taco sauce.

• Colleen

June 29, 2022 at 4:48 pm

@jenc We didn’t have tacos last night but we did have it’s cousin, burritos. I didn’t feel like cooking so I cheated and made store bought freezer burritos in the oven. They were actually really tasty, but no, not healthy. Cullen mixed a lime taco sauce and a chili garlic taco sauce together to put on them and it was really good.

• jen-cueva

July 26, 2022 at 1:01 pm

Hey y’all, it’s Taco Tuesday time. What’s on your plates today? Here, I’m having leftovers later for lunch. But dinner will be simple lean ground beef tacos and black beans. Fast and easy.

For some reason, I’ve been highly fatigued the last few days. Manny says it was a busy weekend. But I only have a few days to rest. I believe my 18-year-old niece is coming Friday to visit for a few days. She is starting college next month. She told her mom(my older sis) that she had to quickly work a week early so she could come to visit Aunt Jen. She texted me last night late and said most likely she’s coming Friday and will fly back to Texas on Monday.

Sorry, I know I went off topic, but I meant I’ll be making simple meals this week.

She will be the first visitor, and we will be busy showing her around. So I’m on low mode until then. Hehe.

• Colleen

July 26, 2022 at 9:31 pm

@jenc shhhh, don’t say Taco! LOL! I came home from Seattle and a supermarket order was waiting at the door. Brian wanted me to make Taco’s tonight but it’s almost 100 here and we don’t have air-conditioning! I wasn’t up to the prep work so we had leftover baked chicken heated up in the microwave.

How lovely for you that your niece is coming to visit! You must be looking forward to that.

• jen-cueva

July 27, 2022 at 1:06 pm

Oh no, @colleensteele, I hope the temps cool off for y’all soon. Do you have fans to help try and keep off? Did you have a chance to check into those places that Jimi(I think) shared on deals on ACs, etc.? How much would it cost to put AC in your house? I know of some assistance plans that cover things like this for those with certain medical conditions. I need to look into that for y’all.

Microwaved leftovers sound perfect after your long day with Cullen in Seattle and that heat. Take care of yourself and keep cool as much as you can.

Yes, I’m super excited to have her visit. She is, too.

• jen-cueva

August 30, 2022 at 12:30 pm

It’s that time again, Taco Tuesday, but I have a change in my plans this week. We had tacos last night, a day early. Manny grilled some carne asada and steak, and we had some yummy salsa I made along with some pinto beans and tortillas. I enjoy making simple salsas some weeks. However, I tend to go by tasting, not a recipe, LOL.

I’ll finish the leftovers that were left after he took some for his lunch for mine.

Does anyone else make your own salsa? If so, would you mind sharing some simple salsa recipes with us?

• debbie-moore

August 30, 2022 at 2:10 pm

I haven’t made salsa in a couple of decades, but I love to eat it.  Please post recipes!!

• jen-cueva

August 31, 2022 at 10:40 am

Hi, @debbie; as I mentioned I go by taste, but I added a few diced tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, and serrano(depending on how hot you want it, this can be left out), lime juice, and a dash of salt. I throw it all into my mini food processor or blender and mix until I like the consistency.

I’ve tried using a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, but it’s often sweeter than my usual salsa; but always a backup plan as needed.

I really like to eat and make salsa verde or green salsa best. But it’s more work using tomatillos, husking, and either roasting or boiling them and then adding the other ingredients. I do use serrano always with this one.

Using my blender or mini food processor, I don’t worry about dicing so small, and that’s less work. Save that energy, I say.

• perry-abet-mamigonian

August 30, 2022 at 3:37 pm

Hi Jen,

I love to make Pico de Gallo. It’s easy to make and tastes great on almost anything. I just take a couple medium tomatoes, de-seed and dice; a medium white onion, diced; one jalapeno, diced and de-seeded (or with seeds if you like heat); a good handful of cilantro, chopped. Mix it all in a bowl and squeeze juice of one lime (or 2 if small). Some like to add salt and pepper for seasoning but I use low-sodium Tajin as it adds great flavor.

• jen-cueva

August 31, 2022 at 10:44 am

OMG, @mrperry009, I LOVE pico, and yes, it is so tasty on most anything. Plus, like homemade salsa, I can store it in my fridge for several days without problems.

I had no clue that they have a low-sodium Tajin. Does it taste just like the original version? I used to eat Tajin on most all fruits and love a Tajin rimmed glass with a nice cold beverage.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Perry. @debbie, what about pico? Do you also enjoy pico?

Usually, I have almost all ingredients on hand except cilantro. But I try and buy some every few weeks.

• debbie-moore

August 31, 2022 at 12:09 pm

@jenc I like all Hispanic food!  My husband is 1/4 Mexican, and I tell him I’m more than that because of all the Mexican food I eat.  His mom and Abuella have taught me how to make some great dishes.  They just never showed me salsa or pico, but I eat it.  I’m always intimidated by the peppers.  I’m not a spicy girl, but I’ve never met a salsa I didn’t like.

• jen-cueva

August 31, 2022 at 12:33 pm

I honestly just LOL’d, @debbie! Manny tells everyone that I’m more Mexican than he is. He is half Mexican, 1/2 Chumash Indian. But I do love that food, too, and spicy. As I become older/wiser, I have started to make mine a tad less hot. But Manny continues to say it’s hotter than he likes.

I so wish his mom was a cook. Neither his mom nor grandma was much of a cook. I love that food. What’s your favorite Hispanic dish to make? Would you like to share any of the simpler recipes with us?

I love making Arroz, but at times it doesn’t come out as good as other times; so weird. I do it the same each time.

Do you also else Hatch chiles from NM? It’s that time of year. In Texas, I would buy extra and roast, peel, and freeze them to have them all year. I have yet to see anyone roasting any here but on the lookout.

• debbie-moore

August 31, 2022 at 12:49 pm

The best dish is chicken enchiladas.  Recipe is too long to post.  Delicious.  The family cannot eat enchiladas at a restaurant because they taste horrible now compared to homemade.  One Thanksgiving my mom in law made a turkey and a pan of enchiladas.  She had a fridge on her back porch, so she stored them in there for more space.  In the night racoons came, opened the doors and ate a little of the turkey and ALL of the enchiladas.  The family was ready to hunt down and kill the racoons for eating the enchiladas.  No one even cared about the turkey.

The only chiles I ever use are the canned green chiles.  I really am lacking in the chile and pepper areas.  What do you use hatch chiles in?

• jen-cueva

September 2, 2022 at 12:22 pm

Hi @debbie, oh no, now I will be craving chicken enchiladas, which I already enjoy. I make mine using a green sauce and green chiles, usually. Which type of cheese did she use when she made these? They must be extremely yummy when the family wanted to chase down the raccoons, LOL.

I’m not a huge turkey fan, so I would prefer the enchiladas, too. I don’t blame the raccoons, do you?

I use the hatch green chiles in enchiladas, mostly chicken. I prefer green salsas with chicken and pork and red with beef and cheese-based dishes. But I’ve used it in breakfast scrambles, hash, green chile pork, chicken dishes, like stews, etc.

I’ll see if I can find something more to share about Hatch green chiles because if you’ve never smelled them roasting, you’re missing out. Here is the actual website for the Hatch Green Chile Store. They offer some background info and recipes for you to browse.
      Hatch Green Chile Store

Is anyone else here a fan of the Hatch Green Chile season?

Page 1 of 2