Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Let’s have a bit of fun here. Today is Taco Tuesday. Most weeks, I try to plan something for dinner taco-inspired. Because it’s difficult to hold and stuff a taco, and then it falls over on the plate, I ordered these cool taco holders from Amazon. I am excited to use them tonight.

I often make a taco-inspired salad; grilled chicken fajita tacos and regular lean beef tacos are also common here. I like the crunchy tacos shells for ground beef, though. Fish tacos and taco or burrito bowls are also something we make often.

Tonight we are planning to make chicken chorizo soft tacos. I am still unsure of the other ingredients, but thinking maybe add potato or beans and cheese.

What about you? How do you Taco Tuesday? Share what’s on your plate today as you stick with the Taco Tuesday theme.

Jill Upshaw
      Participant

For some reason, tacos really taste good to me these days. I live in a 55 and over community with about 500 homes. They usually have a food truck on Tuesdays that sells tacos and margaritas. Different trucks rotate. One has everything homemade from scratch that has some really good shrimp tacos. I have a gas stove so I either cook or wear my oxygen. I don’t do well without it so I do very little cooking.

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Wow, @upshtcx, a taco truck with fresh-made tacos and margaritas. This may be where I need to look once I get to 55, LOL.

Yes, I do love gas stoves, but I have an electric one. I can see the concern you have about cooking with gas and oxygen. Plus, no cooking means fewer dishes.

My hubby and I talked on Friday about how when cooking for 2, it is often easier to buy prepped meals or order out. But, I enjoy cooking as much as I can -then he cleans up.

It is morning time, and now I was those shrimp tacos. A margarita sounds great, too. I have not had one in years. Tequila does not like my meds and PH body.

Terese Tuohey
      Participant

No tacos tonight. But I might consider sweet potato, corn and black bean enchiladas. Sometimes I make them vegan, and sometimes I add cooked ground beef to the mix. You might want to try that filling in a taco shell.

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Interesting @tervo. I think your enchiladas sound great. Did you make them? I have had black bean taquitos. But I think your combination of black beans with corn and sweet potato sounds like something I would enjoy.

As you said, this would go great in a shell or a taco/enchilada bowl. Thanks for sharing.

Jill Upshaw
        Participant

Jen, Costco has a ready-made Margarita that is made with Agave Wine and I can drink it some. No liquor and I cannot even drink a beer. Used to love beer. Costco makes a plain, one with agave wine and one with Tequila. They all look alike too.

Jen Cueva
          Keymaster

Hi @upshtcx, thanks for sharing about the margarita made with agave wine. I had seen their regular margarita mixes and drinks. I may need to check that out.

With my mess, I can’t really drink much. I do drink a Dos XX beer with salt and lines now and then. I love it ice cold. Otherwise, If I drink, it is usually sipping my hubby’s. I did recently have a mixed drink, but it was light alcohol and mostly mixer. But, it did have the umbrella-like a fancy drink, LOL.

I was thinking, how did my Taco Tuesday go to a drinking post. But tacos from the taco truck and ice-cold beer and margaritas go well. Even at home Taco Tuesdays, a beer or margarita would be a nice addition.

Anyone else enjoy a beer, margarita, or other cold beverage with your tacoos?

Susi Steppins
      Participant

Taco Tuesday is a great idea.
      However, tonight I am being lazy and making chili dogs.
      Dogs in a skillet for a few minutes while I heat the chili in the microwave.
      I will add sliced avacado, (I need the potassium) and then a fruit salad for dessert.
      I like this topic.
      Maybe I will become inspired for meals ahead. 🙂

Jen Cueva
        Keymaster

Oh no, @s-steppins, I have been craving a hot dog for a few days. My hubby said that I would probably not eat one, but I loved the cheap hot dogs at Costco.

Chili cheese dogs sound yummy, with mustard and onions, yum. Sounds simple enough.

Yay for avocado. I had a slice last night on my taco.

How about the sodium in the hotdogs and chili? Does that affect your swelling?

Susi Steppins
      Participant

@jenc the sodium is definitely something I need to be careful about.
      If I told you I eat the low sodium dogs and/or chili, I would be lying.
      I usually suffer for it the next day.
      My swelling is always an issue.
      Which is why I am always adding high potassium foods to my diet.
      The diuretics usually throw me way off.

I have recently come across a drink that has helped me though.
      I am not a fan of coconut water which is very high in potassium, but I found Nestles Active Orange.
      It is specifically for adding potassium to your body and it only has 15 calories.
      I make sure that I include it in my daily liquids.

The cheap hot dogs at Sam’s Club are pretty much the same as at Costco.
      Manny is right, you probably shouldn’t. Neither should I and look where that got me. LOL

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Oh no, @s-steppins, I am sorry that you paid the price, as I say after eating your child dogs. As my hubby says, some days, we pick what we know we will pay for later.

Sadly, the sodium is often between 375-500 grams of sodium per hotdog when it comes to hotdogs. Then, canned chili is more sodium. IDK if they have a low sodium chili, but I bet they do.

I have never heard of this Nestles Active Orange that you mention. I need to look into that as my potassium is usually low or on the lower side of normal. Is this water sweetened with any artificial sweeter? Or is it just orange flavor water?

You mention you include it in your daily liquids. Are you on a fluid restriction? Do you use something to keep track? I used My Fitness Pal for years but have not been back on it since my COVID event last year. I have been telling my hubby, Manny, that I need to start back.

Susi Steppins
      Participant

@jenc the Active drink has no sweeteners in it. It tastes a bit like bitter orange.
      I actually have grown fond of the taste.
      Every now and then, especially when it is hot out, I crave something sweet to drink so I will put about 2 oz. orange juice over ice and then fill the rest of my glass with the Active.
      This gives me a little variety.
      I take such strong amounts of diuretics that my potassium often goes out of whack.
      I have almost landed in the hospital just for that.
      But now I have developed a routine to make sure that I eat enough potassium rich foods that it isn’t too much of a problem.
      Potatoes, bananas, sweet potaotes, spinach, pomegranite, sunflower seeds.
      There are many options.
      I track my fluid intake by measuring and simply keeping track in my head.
      I suppose I should have a more methodical method.
      The doctor told me that I should try and limit my fluid to about 64 oz per day.
      However, a couple of times when I have had my blood drawn they call and tell me I am dehydrated and I should drink more.
      The never ending balancing act.
      My Fitness Pal sounds interesting.
      I will have to look it up online.

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

Hi @s-steppins, thanks for the information on the orange drink. I need to look for it. I, too, have been on high doses of diuretics for years. That is such a difficult balancing act. I, too, have landed in the hospital with dehydration. It is usually that or fluid overload, so I relate.

Here is a column that I wrote about this balance that you may find helpful. Let me know if you have questions.

Yes, I have been trying to keep it in my head. Sadly, with CRS, my brain is mush at times. If I don’t make a note or something, I will forget.

The My Fitness Pal lets you track food and water, so those items that are considered liquids are not accounted for. I can only trace water, which is what my PH and kidney doctor wants me to do. Mine is less than 640z.

Jen Cueva
      Keymaster

And just like that, we are now at yet another Taco Tuesday. For me, I am a bit thrown off this week with yesterday being a holiday. So, I am unsure if I will create something Taco Tuesday-related for dinner. I bet we do have BBQ leftover that may be fine.

What about y’all? Creating anything Taco Tuesday related with leftovers or something else?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account