Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition It’s Taco Tuesday, What’s on Your Plate?

• jen-cueva

September 6, 2022 at 2:14 pm

Hey @debbie and anyone else who likes chiles. I did grab a few Hatch green chiles at my local Ralph’s, and Manny roasted them on the grill for me yesterday when he made steak. Tonight I plan to use them in some type of green chile chicken dish. But I’m uncertain of what exactly it will be until later.

What’s everyone else eating since today is Taco Tuesday? Who has Labor Day BBQ leftovers? I have a little bit of potato salad I made yesterday.

• Randolph Reynolds

September 6, 2022 at 3:10 pm

Ha.  It’s Tuesday and we are going out for Tacos.  No Labor Day BBQs leftovers here.  Gone out of vogue for some of us.

• jen-cueva

September 7, 2022 at 12:48 pm

That sounds better than cooking, @ripple76. What are your favorite tacos to enjoy? Do you eat a few chips with salsa or bypass them because of diet restrictions?

I saute the chicken with onion, garlic, and diced hatch green chiles. Manny made us a bowl with corn and black beans. I topped mine with a little avocado and a drizzle of lime juice. It was one of our best meals lately and was pretty much thrown together. I knew we would use the chicken breast and green chiles; that was all. That’s how it usually happens; things thrown together are the best. Have you had that happen at mealtime, too?

• jen-cueva

November 15, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Where are my Taco Tuesday Fans? This week, I am simmering my Mexican braised beef, or Care Guisada. It can also be made more like a stew. But I don’t have potatoes. I will serve ours with fresh stone ground corn tortillas from a local Mexican bakery, pinto beans, avocado, and radishes. Now, I am so hungry, smelling it for the past hour.

That must mean I need to eat a bite for lunch. What are y’all making this Taco Tuesday?

• Terry

November 27, 2022 at 8:29 pm

G’day ,

I am  sitting here feeling a bit crook so it is with deep regret I advise you mob that I will not ever ,ever be sucked in with your enthusiasm for  certain foods.  What! you say . Well, having led a sheltered life aside from home made tacos about 50 years ago Mexican food has not been on my bucket list. That is until one recently opened up the road so today I suggested we try some . A taco for the boss and enchiladas for me . The girl behind the counter asked mini ,regular,spicy,mild,chicken ,beef etc.etc. so I said just a plain taco and regular enchilada mild please. Boss loved the taco. OMG the enchilada could feed four for a week. Got 30% through and called it quits . Look it was ok but might stick to a burrito or taco next time. Saw the Ph and Cardio docs in last two weeks and alls good , until now.
    wink.

• jen-cueva

November 28, 2022 at 1:57 pm

Hi @terry, you always have some humor to add to your post. I love it!

Speaking of Mexican food, I had that yesterday. I had a small chicken enchilada, and my hubby had a huge chimichanga. He smashed him, but I wasn’t so impressed. I make chicken enchiladas at home, and mine tastes better; hubby agreed(yep, he tasted mine, too)

Of course, there are wide varieties of Mexican food. Tex-Mex is what we ate mainly in Texas; here is the Mexican food I learned to love as a young kid, and it stuck with me.

Glad your Cardio and PH appointments went well. I hope you and the wife are doing well. Are you getting ready for the holidays?

• Terry

November 27, 2022 at 9:53 pm

G’Day, Feeling a bit better now.ha. Forgot to mention why I ordered an enchilada. Well I watched all the Cisco Kid shows with Pancho and and enchilada sounded so Mexican ,not like boring taco.

• jen-cueva

February 7, 2023 at 11:09 am

Hi @terry, sorry I somehow missed your comment about Cisco Kid and Pancho Villa. My late stepfather watched all of those, so I’ve watched them repeatedly.LOL

Today is another chance to bring your idea to Taco Tuesday. I have some ground turkey that I am going to try and use to make some taco meat. It’s been some time since I’ve tried using ground turkey because Manny is not a fan. I think his mother burnt him of turkey growing up.

Does anyone have ideas to make ground turkey more appealing to the tastebuds? I have made turkey burgers and used ground chicken in various recipes, but for some reason, ground turkey is the only one he has not been a fan of. I plan to add lots of flavors, so he may or may not even realize it’s not lean beef. But it’s been a year or so since I tried.

I will then make either soft tacos or a taco salad-like bowl, uncertain yet since I have ingredients for either.

What’s on your plate today for Taco Tuesday?

• Loera

March 13, 2023 at 2:55 am

Yesterday I had Fried Cabbage and Kielbasa for dinner. For those who don’t know Fried Cabbage and Kielbasa is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.

Here is a recipe to try:

Ingredients:

• 1 head of cabbage, shredded
    • 1 pound of kielbasa sausage, sliced
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
    • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons of butter
    • 1 teaspoon of salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)

Instructions:

1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
    2. Add sliced kielbasa and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until browned.
    3. Add chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
    4. Add shredded cabbage to the skillet and stir to combine with the kielbasa and onions.
    5. Season the mixture with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir to combine.
    6. Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and caramelized.
    7. Serve hot and enjoy!

This recipe serves 4-6 people and can easily be doubled to feed a larger group. It pairs well with mashed potatoes, rice, or crusty bread.

• jen-cueva

March 13, 2023 at 12:49 pm

Hi @Loera , I love fried cabbage with either ham or sausage. However, some of us must be cautious with sodium. Have you found a lower-sodium kielbasa for this dish yet? Simple Truth( a Kroger/Ralph’s grocer) has one.

This fried cabbage also goes well if you fry some thinly sliced potatoes in the same skillet; it can be a one-dish meal. My late grandmother was an excellent southern cook who often made things like this. Then a nice warm slice of her homemade cornbread. I would be set.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe someone will want to do something like this on Friday for St.Patrick’s Day.

• jen-cueva

March 21, 2023 at 1:29 pm

Here we are again, and today, I’m making shredded beef in my Instantpot for tacos and burrito bowls. I’ll start it soon, but it’s done in less than an hour. Where are all of my Taco Tuesday fans at?

What about y’all? Who’s making some taco-inspired dish today?

My friend sent me a Taco Tuesday meme with laughing margaritas this morning. I must admit, they looked so darn good. It must be time for me to indulge in one soon.

• jen-cueva

May 9, 2023 at 2:00 pm

Happy Taco Tuesday, y’all! Who’s cooking up a taco-inspired meal today? Maybe you’re taking it easy and enjoying pick-up or Mexican food at a restaurant.

How about you, @upshtcx, @crisincincy and @s-steppins? Y’all have indulged in earlier Taco Tuesday posts?

I am making lean ground beef for taco meat and will probably make some pico de Gallo, thanks to that reminder, @mrperry009. We will make taco bowls or soft tacos with corn tortillas. I love these stone ground corn ones that a local Mexican market makes. They smell so good, too.

Do y’all prefer corn or flour tortillas?

• Cris Dingman

May 9, 2023 at 2:36 pm

Jen, I lived in Texas for over 14 years. I now BLEED enchilada and mole! Anything spicy gets my attention. I haven’t learned to tolerate peppers as hot carolina reaper peppers or ghost chiles, but when I finally get dentures then I won’t have to worry about the peppers eating the enamel off my teeth! Hope you had a torta and cerveza to celebrate!

• jen-cueva

May 10, 2023 at 12:54 pm

Hi @crisincincy, too funny; my hubby, Manny, says I burnt my tastebuds! He is half Hispanic, and I eat spicer foods than he cares for.

Mole is something I have only liked once in San Antonio. Otherwise, I get a burnt taste with some I’ve tried. My daughter loves chicken mole, though.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Taco Tuesday. No cerveza yesterday, but I did crave a frozen margarita. However, I didn’t have the ingredients. I could have had a tequila shot with lime, I guess; not quite the same, hehe.

• Susi Steppins

May 9, 2023 at 6:00 pm

Hello @jenc.

No tacos tonight.

I am feeling lazy and picked up a ready to bake quiche from the grocery store to heat up.

However, I do make tacos fairly often and have figured out a way to make them taste great without all of the salt I used to eat.

I use a low sodium taco seasoning packet and only use half.

Then I add cumin and garlic powder and onion powder on top of that.

A little bit of my fake salt and it is delicious.

This learning how to cook with little salt is all new for me.

I am learning how to cook all over again.

I am  always below the scale on potassium so the doctor has given me the go ahead on fake salt.

It took a couple of weeks but now I am used to the flavor and actually can’t stand things that I used to like that are now too salty for me.

• jen-cueva

May 10, 2023 at 2:27 pm

Hi, @s-steppins. You’re not lazy; you didn’t feel like cooking much. Did you buy the large quiche and make a side salad? I’ve had that for dinner and brunch, both before.

I’ve made homemade quiche, too, but we like lots of veggies, so the chopping and stuff take too much time and energy. So, it’s not that often I make them homemade.

What brand is the low-sodium taco seasoning? Cool -that you’re learning to cook with a salt substitute and keeping your doctors happy, too. I often season my taco with extra garlic, onion powder, chile powder, paprika, cumin, and sea salt. However, I also have low sodium, so that I can have a tad of salt. If I have any cayenne or a little dash of hot sauce, it goes in, too.

Learning how to cook and use herbs and salt substitutes takes time to find your groove.

My recent column is about a few of my cooking hacks. Here it is in case you have days when PH saps your spoons.

Cooking hacks when PH saps my energy

• jen-cueva

November 21, 2023 at 3:01 pm

Happy Taco Tuesday, y’all! It’s been a while, so I’m wondering if anyone is planning a taco-themed meal today. We are having leftovers, so not embracing Taco Tuesday this week.

Ahead of preparations for Thanksgiving dinner, I’m not cooking much before then. How about you all?

• jen-cueva

November 28, 2023 at 1:00 pm

It’s Taco Tuesday, and I am stuck in a dilemma. Maybe y’all can help. Should I make lean beef tacos or chili today? It’s for dinner, and the evenings have been cooler, but I am not craving either, so I need some help deciding. What sounds good to y’all?

I could also do a taco-style bowl with rice, etc. Aww, the struggle is real!

• DeLois Tweedy

November 28, 2023 at 3:04 pm

Well, Jen…if I were picking according to the weather, I would choose chili. It’s in the 40’s where I live, with wind chill in the 30’s. Brrrr!

On the other hand, something with rice sounds good. I love rice. 😋

• jen-cueva

November 30, 2023 at 5:10 pm

Hehe, @DeLois Tweedy! I just had chili for lunch. I made a little pot the other night with leftover ground beef. But it wasn’t appealing until today at lunch. It is wet and cooler here in SD, but nowhere near your lows.

I had a Chipotle-like bowl without meat over the weekend and ate that a few days this week. I like rice in many ways, too. And guess what? It’s also budget-friendly and stretches any meal.

I love soups and stews year round, but more when it’s cooler and wet outside. Have you made any comforting soup or chili yet?

• DeLois Tweedy

December 3, 2023 at 6:50 pm

Yes. We’ve had a few chilly days, so I’ve made chili and beef vegetable soup. Creamy potato soup is on the list,, but I’m really craving clam chowder!

• jen-cueva

December 5, 2023 at 1:07 pm

All of those sound great, @DeLois Tweedy! But today, I am making green chile pork in my InstantPot! It will be my first time, but pork butt was on sale, so I wanted to try this since Manny loves it! It will also be good to freeze some for later. I’ll keep y’all posted!

Yes, a good thick and hearty clam chowdah’ is yummy! 😋

• Perry Abet Mamigonian

December 5, 2023 at 2:57 pm

Hi Jen! Thanks for the fun topic. I enjoy reading all the creative replies. Tonight we’re having birria tacos prepared in the slow cooker. I know it’s not the best calorie choice but we use corn tortillas (low cal, very low sodium) and I’ll make pinto beans in the instant pot (quick, easy & no sodium). I also cut corn tortillas into triangles & toast them in the oven & season w/chili powder ( again, low salt). Oh, abd I make my own pico de gallo (low salt again!) If I have a beer it’ll be a Heineken 0.0 (no alcohol and low cal). Cheers everyone!

• jen-cueva

December 6, 2023 at 12:42 pm

Wow, @Perry Abet Mamigonian, that slow-cooked birria sounds so good. Can you share your recipe? What do y’all season it with to cook, and what type of beef do you prefer to use?

Yes, you always mention your homemade pico. I love it because it tastes so fresh and I saved it. I also do something similar to making tortilla chips, but I use a squeeze of lime with the low-sodium Tajin you taught me about once. 😉

I made shredded pork, which was good, but I’m not a big fan of pork except for ham and bacon. ( Iknow the bad stuff)I also made pinto beans but used canned ones I rinsed and seasoned to save time, plus I was out of dry pinto beans. Manny had a giant burrito, and I had a bowl with my baked chips with my guacamole.

Do you and Susie have big plans for the holidays? How are the puppies y’all were raising? Do you have any pics? We can share imagers now on our newly updated platform. 😀

Page 2 of 2