• It’s That Time Again, Flu Shot Season

Posted by jen-cueva on September 14, 2020 at 3:08 pm

Although this year is flying by, we must remember to get our flu shots. My PH doctor and PCP make sure that I do not miss mine. I usually get mine at the end of September or early October. When do you typically get yours?

This year with all of the focus on COVID, we all must remember to get our flu shots if we can get them. This is another extra precaution that we must take. I recently read an article from Cleveland Clinic that talks about why we must get the flu shot this year.

Give it a read, and let’s talk about it. Are you planning to get your flu shot? If so, when? If not, why not?

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 6 months ago 7 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • janet-barry

September 15, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Received my flu shot this morning. I wanted to get it before too many things got in the way. God bless all of you and keep you safe.

• jen-cueva

September 16, 2020 at 9:44 am

WTG @jbarry28 on getting your flu shot! I have not been to my PCP lately but will probably go within the next few weeks. How have you been doing? Are you staying safe and well?

• renee-kimberling

September 17, 2020 at 1:59 am

I plan on getting vaccine toward the end of the month so that it will last for the full 6 month flu timespan. I also plan to take covid 19 vaccine as soon as available. As a retired nurse who worked in public health, I have every confidence in vaccines and their preparation. I hope that all of the PH patients will get both vaccines.

• jen-cueva

September 17, 2020 at 10:32 am

Hi @renee, I usually get my flu shot at the end of September or the first week of October. I bet that you stayed busy working in public health. Did you work for the county or which area? What did you enjoy the most about it? I wanted to work in public health when I first graduated nursing school but was a new nurse, so I did not start there. I worked in home health and then hospice care.

I am wondering exactly how long it will be before they do have a vaccine for COVID.

• janet-barry

September 17, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Hi Jen. Thank you for asking. I’m making progress. I still feel weak even after completing my 36 sessions of cardiac rehab on Monday. I’ve seen all my doctors except for my pulmonologist who I see next month. I’ve lost a lot of weight since my triple by-pass and I’m trying hard to put back some muscle. I’m continuing my exercises daily and working on increasing my walking. I pray for everyone to stay safe and healthy. Take care all. God bless.

• jimi-mcintosh

September 17, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Got the flu shot last week of August, I had so many things requiring surgery and medicine changes this year that I could not miss it. Now waiting on the COVID vaccination. I pray that 2021 will be a less thrilling .

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2020 at 10:24 am

Hi @jbarry28, I am happy to hear that you are moving forward after your bypass. It sounds like you are working hard to gain some strength and, hopefully, some muscle back. Are you eating more protein? My daughter is a dietician, so she’s always telling me to eat more protein and more good fats by her, LOL.

I use protein powder and add to smoothies when I do not feel up to eating much. That helps when I remember. Did your appetite change after the bypass and during recovery?

Thanks for sharing and the prayers, sending the same your way from Texas. Take it slow and don’t overdo it.

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2020 at 10:27 am

Hi @jimi, good to “see” you. How are you doing after your eye surgery? Do you see improvements? I am sure that adding the medical procedures and things this year with all else going on has been difficult.

I am with you; I would be grateful if 2021 is a bit less thrilling, hehe.

How is your family? Take care and keep us updated when you are up to it.

• jen-cueva

October 8, 2020 at 6:27 pm

I got my flu shot on Monday at my pain management appointment. Since they had them, I thought I might as well go ahead and get it. No use to make another appointment with my PCP and save that time and money.

My hubby is getting his at work. This year they have a van come by next week to give them all their flu shots. He usually is against gett8ng it, but he will this year.

Who else got your flu shot this week?

• jen-cueva

September 27, 2021 at 9:44 am

It is that time, and I have an appointment within the next few weeks to get my flu shot while seeing my PCP.

Have you and your loved ones had your flu shots yet this season? Are you planning to? Why or why not?

• Colleen

September 27, 2021 at 6:27 pm

Important topic @jenc. Cullen’s cardiologist told him to get the flu shot as soon as possible. She said last year the flu season was rather mild and she said the medical field has noticed a trend that when one season is mild, the next one is really bad, so they are preparing for that.

Cullen was told to get one now and if come February the flu is still hitting people hard she might discuss him getting a booster flu shot too.

Me, Brian and Aidan of course get the flu shots too.

• jen-cueva

September 28, 2021 at 11:06 am

I have also read that the flu is expected to be busy this year, not as mild as last year. I will be getting mine within the following weeks at my PCP appointment.

I will ask my medical team about a possible booster early next year, too. I did not read about that yet.

This is an important reminder, and many overlooked the flu shot last year with the COVID focus. I did have mine last year and every year.

I like to get mine a tad earlier. When do you think y’all will get yours?

• randolph-reynolds

September 28, 2021 at 2:37 pm

I got my flu shot yesterday.  For many years I was afraid to get the shot as I had flu symptoms afterwards.  Now I know it is important for those of us with PAH to be immunized.  Today I am aching and believe it is from the shot.

I had to change my infusion site last week and its bothering me as well.  Put it all together and today can be chalked up as one to get over with soon.  I got my Covid booster vaccination three weeks ago. I ached for a few days after that.

There you have my report.  Now lets see if this posts.

Randy

• jen-cueva

September 28, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Oh no, @ripple76, I am sorry to hear about your rough day. It certainly sounds like your site change, and now the flu shot is the culprit of the aches and pains.

I hope and pray that tomorrow is a better day and you will get some relief.

You shared that you were afraid to get the flu shot for years. My husband is the same. But after being exposed to COVID, he too sees the importance.

On a positive note, your post did work.

Take it easy today and start over again tomorrow, buddy. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Colleen

September 28, 2021 at 4:41 pm

It posted @ripple76! So there is one thing that has gone right. But darn, I’m sorry you are feeling some vaccination side effects. Hopefully it only lasts a day or two. No booster for my family yet but we plan on getting the flu shot soon.

It’s always good to hear from you. Thanks for not giving up on us!

• janet-barry

September 28, 2021 at 3:56 pm

Hi, Jen.  I’m doing pretty well for an old lady.  <G>   I’m getting my flu shot on Thursday.  It seems as though I just had one.  Tomorrow I ‘m having my second iron infusion this month.  Hopefully that and the protein will help with the tiredness.  My appetite is a bit better, but I’m supplementing with Glucerna.  This week I’m spending my time on the phone scheduling mammograms, colonoscopy, blood tests, bone density test and chest x-ray.  Next month is going to be busy .  Has anyone heard about scheduling their covid booster?  My pcp definitely wants me to have it.  Guess that’s in my future too.

Everyone God bless and stay well.

• Colleen

September 28, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Hi @jbarry28 thank you for taking a moment to update us on how you are doing. Medically busy it sounds like but managing it all? I hope you will find time to relax and enjoy something you love doing after all those appointments and tests are complete.

I have the impression the covid booster will eventually be in store for all of us. But for my family we are planning the flu shot next.

• jen-cueva

September 29, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Hi @jbarry28, it certainly sounds like your medical calendar is overloaded. I hope that you can have rest days in between these appointments.

I also require iron infusions every year. Some years, it only lasts about 6 months. But others need it more often.

As @auntlizzie mentions, I, too, do B12 injections monthly. I started as weekly and now on monthly.

It is excellent news that you are eating more. When I have issues and can’t take in my nutritional needs, I go to Smoothie King. They have one with a drive-thru near my house. I like to add extra immunity, hydration, and or protein, depending on what I think I lack. They can also add all to one.

Have you tried smoothies to rotate, maybe with the Glucerna? They do often make smoothies with dates for sweetness, so that helps those who have diabetes.

Thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts, hugs, and a few extra spoons as you get through these appointments.

• aunt-lizzie

September 28, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Hi Everyone,  I accessed the Cleveland Clinic site to read the article on having the Flu Shot and was quite surprised that they advocated having the Flu and COVID vaccinations at the same time.  Here in Australia, of course, ours is not due until about March 2022 and  I get one every year.   Once COVID vaccines became available early this year, the authorities advised people NOT to have the Flu and Covid vaccinations together and to leave at least 14 days between.  Not sure why, but I complied (of course).  Just a thought.  Cheers.

• jen-cueva

September 29, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Hi @auntlizzie, it’s great to see you pop in again.

It sounds like you have a busy medical calendar, too.

Like you, I thought that my COVID and flu shot needed to be spaced out for at least a few weeks. But mine is on the 12th of October when I go back to my PCP. I also read something from either John Hopkins or Cleveland Clinic about this topic.

I had a colonoscopy scheduled back in August, but we put it on hold due to some of my labs at that time. Mine is family history and GI issues, too.

How often do you usually go for your iron infusions? Does it last you all year or longer?

I am thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and extra hugs your way. Please keep us updated on your appointments.

• aunt-lizzie

September 28, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Hi Janet, Had to send you a quick post – you sound like me with all your tests etc.  I have the same ones, including colonoscopy due to bowel cancers in the family.  One thought – have you tried to get B12 injections for your fatigue?  I was diagnosed with mild pernicious anaemia so have the B12 shots every few months.  Together with the occasional iron infusion it makes a big difference to my stamina.  Bye for now.