• Posted by jen-cueva on June 11, 2021 at 11:23 am

Rest, or shall I say the lack of, is the theme of my column this week. I discuss ways that I am learning to unplug and rest more.

Those of us within the PH community often have a challenging time with this. But the problem is, we should be resting more than the others.

Do you find that you are multi-tasking and plugged into gadgets? Have you found any solutions that help?

Check out my column and let’s talk about this.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Colleen

June 11, 2021 at 4:46 pm

@jenc this column really resonated with me. I’m a lot like you and think relaxing means doing things that essentially is still a form of taking care of other people.

I was feeling a bit “off” and overwhelmed last week and decided to take a drive by myself. That is something I find relaxing, but I ALWAYS bring my phone. That day I forgot it. I almost returned home to get it but decided not to. It kind of felt liberating.

And you know what? When I got home Brian and the boys asked why I wasn’t answering my phone. They all wanted something from me while I was out. Yes, there is always the risk it might be something important, but all of it that day could have waited.

I think I am going to unplug more often because caregivers need rest too!

• jen-cueva

June 14, 2021 at 11:00 am

Hi Colleen, thank you for your kind words. I am happy that you found my column helpful.

I love you took that drive alone and no phone; it is a plus. Drives have always been something that I do to unplug. Most often, I drive near the lake or a park to watch and enjoy nature.

Laughing at returning to Brian and the boys missing you because they needed you for something, but they survived. I think because they are now all adults, that may help. Do you agree?

Maybe if you start a drive to Starbucks or somewhere for 15 minutes and make that part of your unplugging routine. Leaving the phone at home, by accident, LOL.