• Living with PH and Osteoporosis

Posted by Colleen on December 17, 2019 at 6:05 pm

My son was diagnosed with osteoporosis at the young age of 16, which was caused by transplant medications, but I believe their are PH medications that can also trigger this condition. He is symptomatic to the point of it being an issue for him when doing the 6 minute walk, which is something he still has to complete at least once a year post-transplant.

When he really feels pain from the osteoporosis is when he has to take high doses of prednisone. His bones sometimes feel like they are breaking.

Do you have osteoporosis and if so, was it caused by medications? How do you treat it? Currently my son just takes calcium. Do you feel that the osteoporosis challenges your mobility in addition to your PH?

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

December 17, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Hi Colleen, I am sorry that your son is dealing with the pain of Osteoarthritis. I have heard of that from other transplant patients as well.

I still have not yet scheduled the bone density scan. My kidney and heart doctors wanted it but the PCP said insurance may not pay and to wait a while longer. So, I am OK with that.

I hope that your son can get adequate pain relief from his medications.