Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums COVID-19 and PH Losing it with social distancing

• Losing it with social distancing

Posted by jen-cueva on April 20, 2020 at 11:57 am

If you feel like you are losing it with this social distancing, you are not alone. In my newest column, I discuss how difficult this has been for me. I found myself much more emotional and have broken down more than once now.

Give it a read, and let’s talk about how you are coping with this social distancing. How was this affected not only your mental health but physically, too? What has been the toughest for you?

jen-cueva replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Dawn

April 20, 2020 at 9:26 pm

@jenc, first I am so glad that your husband’s test came back negative, but sorry you’re struggling with social distancing. I feel like I am doing ok with social distancing. I’ve never been married, have no kids, live by myself with my two dogs, and have never been especially ‘social’ outside of work, so I think I’m more used to being alone. Work has always been my ‘social life’, and my volunteering fills gaps aside from work. While I’m still in contact with co-workers in working from home, I am looking forward to the face to face interaction once we go back. My brother and sister luckily both live close by, and we keep in contact by phone more than usual.

Let yourself break down, cry, whatever you need. We all need to vent those feelings sometimes. If you’ve never tried it, taking a baseball bat to a hanging punching bag is a wonderful release! Ha! Take good care, Jen.

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2020 at 8:47 am

I appreciate your kind words, @dawnt.I am doing better this week, but the last 2 weeks have been my biggest struggle so far in this. I, too, am usually home except for appointments most weeks and groceries and errands.

I only thought that I was home most of the time, until now, Hehe. I am grateful to work some from home, that is my norm, so that is something that has pretty much remained “normal” with all of this.

Even that you work from home, it sounds like you stay busy volunteering outside the home. Did you share that before? I was trying to remember what type of volunteering you do. I have been trying to start volunteering some for the last 2 years and have not taken the first step.

I am happy that your siblings live close by. One of my sisters lives about 15 minutes away. The other lives about 45 minutes away. We text and call. I am still playing to play virtual games with my nephew and nieces, but they have been busy. I am ready for some real face to face interaction when it is safe.

I love the bat and punching bag. My hubby used to have one hanging in the garage, and he took it down. I can see how that would help. I appreciate your support, thanks, and know that I am here for you, too. This is certainly a time that we are all trying to adapt to.

• Brittany Foster

April 21, 2020 at 10:17 am

@dawnt and @jenc I completely understand what you mean when you say that you didn’t think you really went out much before until all of this happened. I am used to being home a majority of the day anyways, like you, Jen. But, with not being able to do something as simple as going to the grocery store or running to the convenient store across the street if I needs something, it just still feels strange to me ! These little normalcies in the day are things that I usually look forward to. Not having that has been hard and I agree with you, Jen that it really seemed to hit me more last week for some reason. Maybe it was a stressful week in general but I had one of those hour long crying sessions and just let a lot out which was pretty healing!

• jen-cueva

April 21, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Oh, @brittany-foster, you get it! I know the little bits that became our “norm” is no more, for now. I am sure that affects everyone. If it affects us that much, I cannot imagine how difficult it is from the busybodies that stay on the go.

Those crying sessions do help, and so much healing comes from crying. So many think crying is a sign of weakness. I tend to disagree. Crying is needed in life! Would y’all agree? What new coping mechanisms have y’all used that are helpful at home this week?

Today, Sahsa( my mini schnauzer) and I took a short drive with the windows down and sunroof open. That always helps, too.