Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Transplantation Lung Transplant Is In The Cards

• Lung Transplant Is In The Cards

Posted by Colleen on September 24, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Here is an update from @exjarhead57730. Let’s give him our support as he walks the road to transplant.

Finally looks like a lung transplant is in the cards. I have been through all the testing and am on what should be the last one. The transplant team wants to see if acid reflux will be an issue post-transplant. This involves keeping a probe in my esophagus and stomach for 24 hours. I will be removing it in 40 minutes. Not a very pleasant procedure, but I will endure whatever is deemed necessary. I have had to earn everything I have gotten and this will be no different. On Friday I will meet with the transplant team and hopefully have more info then. Semper Fi to all here.

V.R. Peterson replied 3 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Colleen

September 24, 2020 at 2:37 pm

@exjarhead57730 congratulations! I know all too well how difficult this decision was for you and how evasive the testing to become listed can be. For what my opinion is worth, my son and family have never regretted the decision. No, it’s not an easy road to travel but the hope it provides is well worth it.

Acid Reflux puts transplanted lungs at high risk for rejection. The probe is an unpleasant test but necessary. That being said, reflux will inevitably need to be treated post-transplant. My son has taken 2 different reflux medications, 2 x’s a day since transplant. So far that regimen has worked well for him.

I will be anxious to hear an update about your meeting on Friday. I wish you well and good luck with it all.

Semper Fi!

• jen-cueva

September 24, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Hi @exjarhead57730, first of all, thanks for your service, Sir. I hope that all of your tests work in your favor, and you will have new lungs soon. Please know, that @colleensteele mentions, we will be supporting you through it. Colleen is an excellent resource for your questions about transplant. But, we all can support you with this new journey.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow as you meet with the transplant team. You are near the Seattle area, correct?

• Sally Hoffman

September 24, 2020 at 4:15 pm

@exjarjead57730. You are in our thoughts and prayers, Sir. SemperFi.

• V.R. Peterson

September 24, 2020 at 4:19 pm

@exjarhead57730, thank you for your service. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

• Carol Volckmann

September 24, 2020 at 4:27 pm

Hey exjarhead, first, I repeat what Jen said and thank you for your service! You are really in good hands at UW – they are top rated for PH, PAH and transplants. Good luck tomorrow, you are in my thoughts and wishing you the best possible outcome with all the test so you will have that transplant! 🙂

• Bill Jones

September 24, 2020 at 8:25 pm

I wish him luck on his road to transplant. I just recently finished my pre tests and was put on the list last Friday. We got the call the very next morning to head to the hospital in Madison which is 2 hours away. We arrived, I got checked in and my wife had to leave because of the no visitors due to the recent spike of covid. So she hit the hotel down the road and then my 4 boys all came from every direction. They gave us an OR time of 4 am Sunday. Around 3 am they came for me, drilled a few more IV spots and then we waited. It was almost 6 when the Doctor came in and said it wasn’t going to happen that day. So we started out of the shoot with the infamous dry run. Was released on Sunday at noon but we stayed for an appointment that was scheduled for Monday for another 6 minute walk. Afterwards headed home and just as we got home my Doctor called and wanted me back to be hospitalized so they could monitor my condition. So now I am here waiting for transplant. Hopefully coming soon. And yes, that acid reflux probe is not at all very comfortable for 24 hours. It feels like you have something stuck in your throat. I pray for you my friend that you make the list and we both are on a road to recovery.

• V.R. Peterson

September 25, 2020 at 10:59 am

@bill-jones, I wish you well on your transplant journey.

• Colleen

September 25, 2020 at 5:55 pm

@bill-jones I’m so sorry that you experienced a dry run. It is a hard thing to go through. I’m sure you were told that at least a dry run bumps you up higher on the transplant list. I’m going to pray that you get the “real” call soon.

I’m also sorry to hear you ended up in the hospital waiting for the call. That is what I prayed wouldn’t happen to my son but it did. He was hospitalized for several weeks but we were holding on to hope that he would eventually be discharged. During rounds one day a doctor broke the news that he would have to remain in the hospital and wait for transplant. The very next day he received the call. Fingers crossed it happens that fast for you too!

Needless to say, I will keep you and @exjarhead57730 in my prayers. Steve, I hope your first call will be a go and not a dry run. If it happens, don’t lose hope. Here is a column about my son’s experience with a dry run in case you and Bill would like to read it.

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2019/07/08/dry-run-heart-lung-transplant-lessons/

• Bill Jones

September 25, 2020 at 8:40 pm

@colleensteele thank you for your response. I remember reading your article before but it was sure worth the second read tonight. Hoping this goes fast for myself as well as Steve assuming he made the list. I know I’m ready more than ever.

• jen-cueva

September 28, 2020 at 9:04 am

Oh No @bill-jones, I am sorry to hear of the dry run this time. I hope and pray that your new lungs will come soon. I can only imagine this must be on you and your family. Thinking of you and your family and keeping you and @exjarhead57730 in my prayers.

Please do keep us posted when you are up to it. We are here to support you. If your wife wants to join, that may help her to have some support too.

• Colleen

October 17, 2020 at 12:48 pm

@bill-jones and @exjarhead57730, how are you both doing? I’ve been keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding transplant. Maybe I can help through my experience.

I don’t want you to participate if you aren’t feeling well, have the energy, (or maybe recovering from transplant?)….but I was wondering if either of you would be interested in contributing to “30 Days of PH”? If you can message me your e-mail addresses I will send you the details and instructions.

Wishing you both well!

• Bill Jones

October 17, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Hello Colleen. Well it’s been 4 weeks since my dry run on September 19th. No match as of yet, still waiting. They are closely monitoring my oxygen levels as well as keeping up with walking and cardio rehab to stay strong for the post transplant. This is the worst time to be hospitalized with covid lurking. No visitors still. Though we talk a few times a day, I haven’t seen my wife or any of my children for a month now. It is very lonely eating all your meals alone. Hopefully it will be soon.

• Colleen

October 17, 2020 at 3:30 pm

@bill-jones my heart goes out to you! I would have been so upset if I couldn’t remain with my son while hospitalized and waiting for the call. Policies keep changing and vary from state to state. When my son was admitted last month I was allowed to stay with him as long as I remained in his room. If I left for even a few minutes then I wasn’t allowed back for 24 hours. In the middle of the week I went home once but otherwise I stayed. It felt like I was being held captive but I was grateful that they let me stay.

I wish words could help the situation but I know they can’t. Please reach out any time you need a listening ear. We are all here to provide support. I’m keeping you in my prayers.

• jen-cueva

October 20, 2020 at 9:43 am

Oh, @bill-jones, I am so sorry. Things must be frustrating at this time. It must not be an easy feat not to see your wife and children. I am grateful that they are keeping you active and ready for when that call comes in. Please know that you are on our minds and in our prayers. I am sure words will not help but know we are here to support you on this new journey.

• jen-cueva

October 27, 2020 at 1:39 pm

Hey there, @exjarhead57730 and @bill-jones, I am thinking of you both. How are things moving along for each of you? I just wanted to say you are thought of, and we are here to support you both through this new journey.

Hugs, prayers, and positive vibes are coming your way from Texas. Let us know how we can best support you.

• Steve Sallee

November 17, 2020 at 11:24 am

Thank you all for the kind words and support. Guess I joined the same club as Bill. Got the call Saturday night just before midnite. Got to UW within the hour. Was informed the donor was “high risk”. According to the info I got, I decided to go ahead. After a few hours, I was informed the donor lungs were deemed unsatisfactory by the surgeons. Yep, you guessed it. A dry run.

• Carol Volckmann

November 17, 2020 at 2:11 pm

So sorry Steve that it turned out to be a dry run. I know UW very well and know they would not take any high risks with you. They have a great team. Now you know the drill and can be all set. It has to be very disappointing and frustrating for you. My heart goes out to you and hope will have your transplant very soon – fingers crossed!

• V.R. Peterson

November 17, 2020 at 4:34 pm

I’m so sorry it didn’t work out this time Steve. I’m praying that you get your lungs soon.