• Posted by libby on July 20, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Hi all – I am sorry if this isn’t an appropriate post for this forum since it’s not exactly PH related. If so, please delete. I had my pulmonary valve replaced 2.5 years ago with a mechanical valve called a Melody Valve. They are supposed to last between 3 to 5 years, but I’ve heard of some lasting up to 10 years. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Melody valves or heard anything of how long they last. Thanks 🙂

libby replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • melainie-garcia

December 29, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Libby,

I do have a melody valve. I had mine placed in Sept 2014. It is still going strong. I was told it could last up to 15 years, but likely 7-10 years. I never thought of it as a mechanical valve. I have always thought of it as a tissue valve since they use a cow valve. The stent is just a way to keep the valve in place without open-heart surgery being involved.

How are you doing with your Melody Valve? I think I am doing well. I have other conditions overlapping my pulmonary valve, like PH. Did the valve change your PH values? I think it dropped my marginally. It was that surgery that let us know that it isn’t my heart that is causing the PH but the sarcoidosis in my lungs.
    I hope you got better results.

Melainie Garcia

• libby

February 1, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Hi Melanie, my pulmonary valve replacement actually made my PH worse. With the valve working so efficiently now, more blood volume is being pushed into my very narrow arteries (I have PAH). I also have CCTG6, ASD, VSD, Pulmonary artesia. So my PH is definitely caused and aggravated by my complicated CHD.

• melainie-garcia

June 5, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Libby,

I am sorry to hear that the Melody Valve worsened your PAH. We are so individualized when it comes to cures, therapies and catastrophes. I hope things have gotten better.

I just learned this week that my Melody Valve is going south. I had it placed in Sept of 2014. We are in the process of trying to determine what to do. Salvage the valve somehow or replace it. Either way, my PAH is bothering me more now than it has in many years. I had forgotten how it feels. Coupled with the Covid concerns we are all facing, I am feeling so limited.

I am getting out in a couple of weeks. My husband and I are going on an anniversary trip to Nevada. I am looking forward to not being in my house.

Please write back and tell me how you are doing. I don’t visit the forum often. I will now that I am in need of encouragement and help.

Melainie

• libby

August 25, 2020 at 9:47 am

Melanie, I’m sorry for such a late response. I’ve been in the process of moving across the state. I’m so sorry to hear if your decline in valve function and hope you were able to enjoy your trip .

What symptoms have you had of a declined valve or is it just that test results are showing that its leaky? My original valve leaked 35% of my blood before they gave me the melody valve.