Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Exercising With PH My E-bike Column Caught Their Attention

• My E-bike Column Caught Their Attention

Posted by jen-cueva on February 3, 2021 at 11:12 am

Back in October, I shared my column about my e-bike on Instagram. A bit later, the bike company reached out to me and asked if they could tell and share my story. I was excited but then was hospitalized, and nothing happened. They saw my hospital post and reached out again to see if they could still share my story.

Three young men from Aventon interviewed me over the phone. They asked if they could share my column. They mentioned social media and on their blog. But, Sunday, my hubby, Manny, was checking his emails, and there I was, the main focus of the email. So share your stories as you never know who will be watching. Ben, the writer of their blog, was really interested in PH and wanted to research it a bit.

Here is a link to their blog. Please give it a read and let me know what you think. I am so excited to get back on my e-bike. It offers a bit of exercise for me. My goal is to ride by the end of the month.

ky replied 1 year, 6 months ago 12 Members · 30 Replies
  • 30 Replies
  • Colleen

February 3, 2021 at 3:07 pm

If you are looking for a reason to smile today, read this blog. The write-up that was done on Jen and her bike is so nice.

• V.R. Peterson

February 4, 2021 at 2:21 pm

This is amazing! Congratulations, @jenc!

• Diana Shirley

June 21, 2021 at 3:10 am

I must be short of oxygen to the brain. I can’t find the blog. I was saving for an evoke and I’ve spent on a train travelling holiday. I decided my balance wasn’t good enough. I’m on Lyrica and 79. I couldn’t afford an strike.  I’d love to read the blog.

• jen-cueva

June 21, 2021 at 11:49 am

Hi, @sandy2gmail. I am sorry that you could not access my blog post.

Yes, many of us suffer from brain fog, too, so no worries.

A train adventure sounds fun. I would like to hear more about that. Rest up this week.

If you click on the highlighted word, blog in that post, it will take you to the post.

But, I will add that link here for you to see if that works better.

https://www.aventon.com/blogs/aventon_bikes/the-inspiring-story-of-jen

Please let me know if you have any trouble with clicking the above link.

• Cathy Brown

June 22, 2021 at 2:41 pm

Super excited to see this and will read it as soon as I’m off work. I’m totally thinking about getting an e-bike. I used to love riding my bike and I really miss being able to do that with my husband and 11-year-old.

• jen-cueva

June 23, 2021 at 11:10 am

Yes, @catbrown, I bought mine and started slow. The throttle helps, but my body continues to ache afterward. I have not yet been except in my culdesac once since my COVID episode. But I plan to go soon and build up slowly again.

Let me know what you think once you read it. Are you ready for your e-bike now?

• Cathy Brown

August 10, 2021 at 4:48 pm

I meant to tell you when my brother was in town, I rented an e-bike so I could go on a family ride with him, my SIL, and my son. It was heavy! But it worked, we biked for several miles. I fell once as I was coming to a stop. I’m  just not used to handling a bike that heavy while I’m dismounting and my balance is not so great lately. But it was definitely an encouraging experience. I’m thinking it would be even better if I bought one that was fitted to me.

• Donna Lambro

June 23, 2021 at 7:07 pm

Hi, me and my husband also bought e-bikes last fall. Bought them on September 1st but they weren’t delivered until the middle of October.  We live in Wisconsin so it was getting cooler out. The first trip around the block I fell. They are a little heavier and I wasn’t sure about it. We bought  Lectric bikes.  The next time I tried to stop by a curb and fell  again,  hitting my head on the grass (thank God) We figured out I should have my seat lowered.  Then we stored them for the winter.  Well this spring we took them to an empty parking lot.  And I only use the throttle.  I don’t peddle at all. Then we went to a paved trail. What a blast. I haven’t been on a bike in forever.  Jen I hope you get to use yours and enjoy it. I have unrepaired heart defects and pulmonary hypertension since birth.  Now I’m almost 59.

• Colleen

June 24, 2021 at 2:59 pm

That is so awesome @donnalamblue! I’m so glad those few falls didn’t discourage you from getting back up and trying again. It sounds like the purchase was well worth it.

• jen-cueva

June 25, 2021 at 11:16 am

Hi @donnalamblue, I am so happy to hear that you did not give in after the falls. I, too, when the first time on an E-bike, rented some. That one was so much heavier and difficult for me to handle. I almost did not get one.

Last October, just before I caught COVID, my hubby found the one I had looked at online. It was my favorite color and was lighter. I was nervous. I was in love once I took off in the parking lot.

I hope to start again slowly once we find a good time and the heat is not so brutal. I have been telling my hubby that we can go early morning or late evening.

Thanks for sharing your own e-bike story.

• Susi Steppins

June 24, 2021 at 3:03 pm

This is amazing @jenc. Congratulations!

• jen-cueva

June 25, 2021 at 11:26 am

Thank you @s-steppins, I am so excited to get back out there and start again.

Hi @ripple76, I appreciate your kind words of encouragement, my friend. I am now on continuous oxygen that I was not on before I developed COVID. I could use my backpack then and go about an hour or less with 3 liters.

But now, with the fact that I need my oxygen continuously and higher flow, I have yet to get back on it except in my cul-de-sac once. I plan to try and find what may work soon, even for a shorter ride. I will keep you posted.

If you have a portable tank that lasts you for walking, the e-bike has a throttle, and some days using the only throttle may help. My walking is limited as I use a wheelchair for distances, so I bet you could use an e-bike since you already walk and use a stationary bike. The time you are out would depend on what you use for portable oxygen, etc.

There are many different brands, sizes, and accessories for e-bikes. I can also get a basket or rack on mine to add more extra supplies as needed. If I can get back started, I know my endurance and strength will hopefully improve my norm before COVID.

• Randolph Reynolds

June 24, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Jen

Your story is great.  Learned more about you by reading it and congratulate you on being determined to ride your e-bike. Of course I had never heard of them before but I don’t think I could manage that with CEPTH.  From the photo I see you are carrying your oxygen concentrator in a back pack.  How much oxygen flow do you get?  The only exercise I get, except for walking, is riding a stationary bike.  If I could find a portable concentrator that would provide at least 5 liters/min of continuous flow it would un-complicate my life.

You are encouraging to us.

Randy

• Cathy Brown

June 24, 2021 at 4:51 pm

Jen, I am definitely thinking about this, maybe for next year.

Like Randy, I am trying to figure out how to meet my oxygen needs. I tried out one of those little POCs (5 pound size), and it was fine for driving or light exertion, but I found I needed more than it could provide for walking up the hills in our neighborhood, so I’m back to the tanks. They are uncomfortable though. And now that I’ve started a third vasodilator, I am so congested that I can’t make the oxygen-conserving device work so I go through a tank pretty fast. I didn’t have any trouble getting the portable to deliver its puffs, but something about the oxygen-conserving device they put on the tanks is harder for me.

Sorry to derail this into a discussion about oxygen!

• jen-cueva

June 25, 2021 at 11:34 am

Hi @catbrown, You can do this! I, too, have the portable tanks; when I used them on my bike, I carried them in my backpack and have an extra with us. I could make an hour or less back then on one tank at 3 liters.
      I understand the congestion, but hopefully, once your body is adjusted to your newly added treatment, that subsides a bit. I do use nasal sprays, saline, and also AYR gels, etc., to help mine. But it does make it more difficult to breathe, even sitting when the congestion is so bad.

I have used an OTC allergic med as my PH team approved for congestion at times. Although it does not have the decongestant in it, it helps me a tad. It is usually cetirizine, generic for the plan Zyrtec.

• Hall Skåra

June 25, 2021 at 7:06 am

Nice story. Hope you get back on your bike soon.

I also love my electric bike. Here is a blog entry. Sorry, it is all in Norwegian, so unless you use a translation tool, you will probably not understand it. However, you can look at the pictures and understand that I had a nice trip 🙂

http://www.pha-no.com/halls-blogg/el-sykkelen.html

Best regards,

Hall

• jen-cueva

June 28, 2021 at 11:31 am

Thanks for sharing your blog @hall-skara. The pictures are beautiful. That is not by view here in Texas. I enjoyed reading your story, as I think the translator got your point across. Hehe

But those pictures truly do tell a beautiful story; what an excellent job with adding those to the piece!

How are things over in your area?

• Hall Skåra

June 29, 2021 at 2:29 am

Hi, Jen! Things are fine in Norway. I have moved and no longer live in Oslo, but in a small town on the south west coast. This is where I grew up as a child. I still bike with my electric bike and the scenery is still beautiful. I would imagine that it is still very different from your Texas scenery 🙂

When you ask how things are, you might refer to the pandemic? It’s pretty much under control at the moment. As we speak, there are only 23 people in hospital in Norway due to covid. Less than 800 people have died since it all started. Vaccination is well underway and the vast majority is positive to it.

• Cathy Brown

June 25, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Thanks, Jen!

• Donna Lambro

June 26, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Hi Jen,

• So after I wrote about my e bike,  I looked up your brand. I’m jealous.  Looks so much easier to ride than the one I have.  It’s been so humid and rainy here in Wisconsin that it will be a little while before we are back on them. I hope you are able to ride yours soon.
    • jen-cueva

June 28, 2021 at 11:36 am

Hi @donnalamblue, thank you. I, too, found that e-bike not too heavy and easier for me to handle. I am small, some say, but I am about 130 pounds. Those heavier ones like I rented on the beach was exhausting holding it up. ,

Aventon has many different models. They have one similar to mine that some really like, too. It is lighter, too, but mine was my favorite color and a little cheaper. But mine has road tires not like a mountain bike. It all depends on the terrain you plan on riding.

Yes, rain and humid here along the Texas Gulf Coast.

We will both have more rides soon. We can share our bike stories as now it seems several have e-bikes already.

• Sandra Greenberg

June 29, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Hi Jen, your ebike sounds so fun and an inspiration. My O2 demand is a 6 or 7 for any exercise. How do you carry yours?  Do you carry a poc or fill bottles?

I’m in TX as well, El Paso, so hot, hot, hot in the summer.

• jen-cueva

October 21, 2022 at 2:33 pm

Hi @zoemama, I apologize as I missed this response. I most often carry a tank in my backpack. But I’ve now also learned to take my POC with a basket on the front that I can remove if needed.

I’m no longer in Texas. My hubby and I relocated to San Diego almost a year ago. I am breathing `better here without the Houston/Galveston air and humidity. El Paso is cooler, right? How about your humidity?

It is fun, and I enjoy it when I can go out and ride.

• jen-cueva

October 21, 2022 at 2:38 pm

Hey, y’all, I wanted to share something special. Aventon us al with y’all. Recently I was chosen to participate in the Aventon, Beyond the Bike mini-series. Aventon is the eBike company where I purchased my bike and was interviewed for their blog.

Check it out, and let’s talk about this—no need to ask for my autograph-hehe. As I told them, I would never survive in Hollywood. They did 2 mini-shoots with me to get this little glimpse. @cdvol3gmail-com, here you are since you had a hint about this.

Beyond the Bike -Jen C

• Carol Volckmann

October 21, 2022 at 5:50 pm

Hey Jen, what a great article by Aventon! So happy for you that they surprised you with their new 500 – you deserve to be out there biking with Manny. Love your telling of your story – you keep on inspiring us! You keep pushing yourself to limits that seemed impossible, but you go and do it. We love you Jen!

• jen-cueva

October 24, 2022 at 1:40 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, thanks, my sweet PHriend. You and the others here inspire me. So happy that we can inspire each other. Isn’t it so much better to have others who know the struggles and keep PHighting?

You are so thoughtful. I was SO surprised with that new bike. They didn’t even tell Manny, so he was shocked, too. Crazy that it took 2 small photo shoots on separate days to make that mini story. No Hollywood for me; I’ll leave that to the rest of y’all.

@kygon, no reality show for me. Maybe you or @colleensteele can create one. I would never survive that life, LOL.

• V.R. Peterson

October 21, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Thank you for sharing your amazing story, @jenc! You truly are an inspiration.

• jen-cueva

October 24, 2022 at 1:36 pm

Thank you so much, @mamabear007. You are so kind. How are you doing this new week? I hope things are improved around your house- hugs.

• V.R. Peterson

October 24, 2022 at 2:04 pm

@jenc, all is well at the MamaBear household. ????

(edited to correct typo)

• ky

October 25, 2022 at 9:27 am

@JenC that is amazing!!! How fun, They did a wonderful job with your story! I am so glad they gave you some recognition… I know Bry and I keep looking at ebikes unfortunately it hasn’t been in our budget just yet as we keep navigating what our purchase priorities. Maybe they can offer a Jen’s fan discount hahaha