Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Weekly Wins New Month And New Week: Let’s Hear About You Recent Wins!

• Carol Volckmann

September 4, 2020 at 11:38 am

Hey Jen, thank you for your hugs- I get them! You are in my daily thoughts with hopes you will get some answers soon. Hopefully you can focus on the positive and allow that positive energy surround you with loving warmth.

Wouldn’t it be great when this covid-19 is under contol I could meet you and Colleen. It would be so special to meet 2 incrediable caring women and to give you both a hug for all you both do!
    Hugs from WA ☺????❤

• Colleen

September 4, 2020 at 4:16 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com yes! I’m so happy to hear that test results are showing some improvement. I know from what you said that you still have other struggles but hopefully even a little bit of positive news lifted your spirit.

It would be great to meet you someday and @jen as well. I pray a successful Covid vaccine happens soon!

• Colleen

September 4, 2020 at 4:22 pm

@dawnt keeping my fingers crossed that your ECHO results come back improved too. Let us know.

• Sandy

September 7, 2020 at 1:19 pm

Hi everyone. Your stories, wins, challenges really encourage me so much. I am amazed at the strength and positivity that all of you display. I’m a very firm believer that a positive attitude is 95% of our battle in this journey.

I’ve had a good long weekend. Due to the cool mornings here in western NC these past 3 days, I have been able to work out in my flower gardens for about an hour and a half each day. Granted, I sit down to recover more often than I used to but boy did I get alot of weeding and pruning done. It felt SO good for my soul and it looks so nice to boot. I find that if I can get something done outside, my attitude benefits tremendously, so I am hope that Fall weather will be my friend.

I’m sending congratulations and caring wishes to all of you. Be well.

• Colleen

September 8, 2020 at 1:18 pm

@sandydenn thank you for such a sweet and positive message! You and all of our members help create a nice balance between advocating for PH and supporting mental health.

Fall is my favorite season! I’m looking forward to displaying pumpkins and mums again and sitting on my porch enjoying a refreshing breeze. I can appreciate from deep in my soul how much gardening helps you on many levels. Best of all, it’s not the type of project you have to rush. You can take your time and enjoy as many breaks as you need. I’m so happy for your sense of accomplishment and having the fruits of your labor to enjoy!

• Colleen

September 8, 2020 at 1:44 pm

@cdvol3gmail-com just checking-in to see how you are managing with the fires and smoke WA is experiencing. The smoke was very thick here in Kent last night. We were struggling a bit even with our windows closed. It’s very windy too which I think is causing smoke from CA and Oregon to drift our way too. I’m hope you are doing ok and that it’s not upsetting your PH too much.

• Carol Volckmann

September 8, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Good morning Colleen, thank you for asking. The reason we sold our forever home in Mazama was because of the forest fires and smoke – sometimes you could not see the mountains across the Valley. The smoke here in Port Ludlow is not awful, but I am staying inside. This smoke is from the Ellensburg fire the strong winds coming from the East is the main factor.

I hope you and your family are staying inside especially Cullen. How is he doing?

And what good news about your insurance!! Great work woman!

Stay well and safe – sending hugs across the Sound! ☺❤

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Hi @sandydenn, I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy a bit of gardening time. Those little things are what feeds our souls, right? Cooler temps will help, I am sure. Fall and Spring have always been my favorite time to get outdoors.

Thanks for your kind words. This group does offer positivity, and this is important in our PH journeys. Thanks for sharing this win. I am hoping that you will share more days out in your garden. Enjoy the new week.

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I hope that you, your family, Carol, and her hubby are staying safe. I am sure when the wind blows, the smoke must blow your way. I hope that it is short-lived.

I know poor @cdvol3gmail-com moved to avoid the fires.

• Dawn

September 9, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Wanted to update on my echo results. The results are stable compared to the last one, which is good news. One thing my cardiologist wants to do, which we’ll do next week, is a transesophogeal (sorry if mis-spelled) echo. I have a mitral valve leak in my heart that I’ve had for a couple years. My cardiologist thought the echo showed that as being stable, but a colleague of his thought he saw some concerning changes. I’ve been feeling pretty good, so my dr thinks it’s probably stable but thought we should do this other echo to get definitive pictures to know the status of the leaking. I’ve never had one of these echo test, but I’ll be sedated so I shouldn’t mind too much! My dr is very aware of my ph, oxygen, sleep apnea, etc., and he’ll do this test at the local hospital as outpatient.

Hope everyone is doing exceptionally well!

• Colleen

September 9, 2020 at 9:31 pm

@dawnt thank you for the update! A little good news goes a long way, doesn’t it? I’m not familiar with the procedure you have scheduled. I’m sorry you need it but it is best to double-check things, especially when doctors have different opinions. Like you said, hopefully things are better, not worse, but kudos to your team for wanting to make sure they aren’t missing something. Please keep us updated.

• jen-cueva

September 10, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Hi @dawnt, this is a huge win! Stability is so important, and this is awesome news! It also sounds like your doctors are well versed in PH, and you work well with him. I hope and pray that the TEE shows stability as well. Please do keep us posted next week after this TEE.

I enjoy reading about everyone’s weekly wins, so share anytime, y’all.
    Have a safe week, and keep PHighting!

• Dawn

September 17, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Update on my TEE. Had the TEE done today, got good news! The mitral valve leak is actually better than what my cardiologist thought the echo showed. He said it’s pretty much normal wear & tear from aging, no tears or anything like that. He said it’s GOOD news. The procedure itself wasn’t bad, except for whatever they spray in the back of your throat to numb it before they actually get the sedation going. That stuff tasted horrible, and burned. My throat is still a little sore, but overall it went really well. The anesthesiologist was very aware of the ph, and told me afterward that I did great. She said I am a very strong woman, but I’m not sure why she said that. An extra bonus, I had planned to work after I got home after the procedure but the nurses & dr told me to take the day off. The discharge instructions have it listed, so I let my supervisor know when I got home that I was taking the rest of the day off as well. As usual, she was great about it. My two dogs & I had a wonderful 3 hour nap this afternoon!

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2020 at 10:19 am

That is fantastic news, @dawnt. I am so happy to hear your positive news after your TEE. That is always a win when the test was better than we thought it would be, right?

Thanks for sharing your experience with the TEE. I can understand how this would be irritating to your throat. I have never had a TEE.

Another positive win is your supervisor’s understanding and that 3-hour nap! I bet your boys were happy for this long nap, too. That is an amazing start to the weekend. I am so excited to share this news with you! You are a strong woman, just as your anesthesiologist said!

Take care and take it easy over the weekend- hugs to you from Texas.

• jen-cueva

September 28, 2020 at 9:25 am

Hey y’all, I was off Friday and had quite a busy weekend. I told my hubby that it was the busiest that we have been in months. (Busy in a good way, but still exhausted. )

Thursday evening, my hair girl closed her salon an hour early and did my hair. I am so grateful for her and wished that I would have asked sooner. My poor hair was beyond need. That in itself was a huge win for me already.

Friday was my appointment with the new neurologist. My appointment went pretty well. She does want to do a cervical MRI because I have not had one, only my head. She did notice an abnormal gait and some jerkiness, she said, just by some of her in-office evaluation. The most significant positive is no other big “seizure-like”-activity since July. She is not too concerned with any seizure disorders after reviewing my tests, and she spent a lot of time with me.

On Saturday, I watched my daughter compete in her first jujitsu tournament. I did not think that we would be able to go but made that, and she won 3rd place! I was so grateful to watch her as I have not missed many competitions and events that she competes in.

So, yesterday was slow for me and still today. I hope to hear your weekly wins. What wins can you share this week? Let’s celebrate them together.

• jen-cueva

October 9, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Hey y’all, it’s Happy FriYay, again! This means we have some wins to celebrate. This week, my win is more about my mental health and boundaries. This week, I did better at saying No and asking for help. It was not consistent, but it was a start.

What can y’all celebrate this week? Watching 2 debates and not turning off the TV was another for me. If mu hubby as not watching, I probably would have, hehe.

• Colleen

October 9, 2020 at 3:36 pm

@jenc I’m sorry I didn’t respond to your last week’s wins…I meant to! I loved the picture you posted on FB of you, your husband and daughter at her jujitsu tournament! The three of you looked so happy which made me happy.

Since last week you had your MRI which is a win…granted I wish you didn’t need it but every test is a step closer to answers and treatment.

You are doing a good job taking care of yourself. Keep saying no and asking for help when you need to. It’s hard for many of us to do that but it is so important.

• jen-cueva

October 12, 2020 at 8:44 am

Thanks, @colleensteele, and no worries, I appreciate you. The jujitsu tournament was one that I was unsure of for a while. I Was nervous that the young kids would be there and a huge crowd. Thankfully, when she competed, it was not so busy, and all wore masks unless they were competing, etc. It was easy to keep distant, but I was a bit nervous about getting that close even for a pic with my daughter. It isn’t very comforting to go and do anything. But, I am grateful that I could attend and watch because it was her first time.

Yes, getting that MRI past me is a plus, so I hope I hear from the Neurologist early this week.
    I am working hard to take care of and listen more to my body. Asking for help is so tough, but I agree many of us struggle with that.

What weekly wins can y’all share?

Page 2 of 2