• New Series: Diagnosis, Will You Watch?

Posted by jen-cueva on August 26, 2019 at 10:08 am

Most of us with PH fought to eventually receive a diagnosis. Often, it takes years for some patients. It’s unfortunate, as the research shows that starting PH treatments earlier could help prevent disease progression.

I read about a new series on Netflix, Diagnosis. It sounds interesting and I enjoy watching these types of shows. Do you enjoy watching? Will you watch this new series?

What are your thoughts on this type of series? Do you think it brings about disease awareness?

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Colleen

August 26, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Jen, I’ve heard about it and have watched similar typed of shows in the past. I’m not sure if I’m going to watch it. When I view things like that I start to feel anxious and even a little paranoid. I might at least watch one episode and see how it goes. Let me know what you think of it if you watch it.

• jen-cueva

August 26, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Colleen! I can imagine how you may start feeling anxious and paranoid. Certain medical based shows can sometimes trigger flashbacks, almost like PTSD. But, usually, I can watch some without any problem. I’m sure it depends on the subject, how detailed it is, and how I’m feeling that day.

• brittany-foster

August 26, 2019 at 5:26 pm

I LOVE doctor shows and especially medical mystery type shows. I actually had an obsession with shows like that even when I was younger. I used to watch the show “I Shouldn’t Be Alive” . It doesn’t always have to do with medical stuff, sometimes it is about people who get stranded out at sea of something and have to survive on their own. I watched ER shows as a kid and just sat there loving them. Honestly so strange that I was fascinated by all of that especially after going through so much. There was one time where I DID have a panic attack watching a Grey’s Anatomy episode of a girl who had an open heart surgery and I was just glued to my seat and felt like I couldn’t move. But I usually am NOT bothered by seeing that so I really don’t know why it struck me so hard. I usually watch surgical procedures on youtube BEFORE they are done to me… am I the only one that does that ?!

• Colleen

August 26, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Brittany, actually, I loved that show “I Shouldn’t Be Alive”. I use to be a fan of shows like ER too but after a while I felt like I was getting enough of all that in real life. Let’s just say that the shows like Jen is suggesting I enjoy in moderation. However, I recently binge watched all the seasons of CSI! LOL! That show can get pretty intense at times.

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2019 at 8:40 am

Brittany, I, too loved the show ” I Shouldn’t Be Alive”. I was also a fan of House, ER, and Grey’s Anatomy.

Oh no Brittany, I’m sad you had a panic attack watching that open-heart surgery. I’m sure you had some flashbacks.

I watched that TV series about kids with cancer and many sad movies about illnesses and diseases. It’s often ” punishing ” myself as I say afterward. I’m usually balling my eyes out by the end, if not before.

I also find that there are times when I just need a pause from shows like these. I like ” chick flicks” or comedies. We have to have some humor balanced in. Haha

• brittany-foster

August 27, 2019 at 12:00 pm

House was so funny! I loved how arrogant he was and how he was usually right about everything even though it would be the most BIZARRE explanation for an illness. I always said that I needed a Dr. House in my life ! Sometimes I feel like he would be the doctor to just smack me on the side of the head if I needed it hahahaa! I always laughed at the fact that he was the dad in Stuart Little ! Most people don’t even know that because they are completely different roles!

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2019 at 5:55 pm

Funny, Brittany! When I watched House, I often said I needed one if him too! I don’t usually like arrogant doctors, but I liked him being arrogant. Haha

I didn’t realize that he was the Dad in Stuart Little. We learn something new every day. Crazy!

• v-r-peterson

August 27, 2019 at 9:24 am

Before my son was diagnosed with CTEPH, I loved to watch “House.” Now that’s it’s free to watch on Amazon Prime Video, I can’t force myself to watch it. I’ve never heard of “I Shouldn’t Be Alive.” That sounds like one I’ll enjoy. Since Seasons 3-6 are available on Prime Video, I’m putting those on my Watchlist.

• brittany-foster

August 27, 2019 at 11:55 am

I really like the show, it’s not all medical either. Some of the dramatic reenactments are a little over the top hahaha but other than that just hearing people’s stories of near death experiences and survival really interests me.

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2019 at 5:34 pm

I agree with Brittany, often they tend to be over the top on the show. Let us know when you binge-watch it, @mamabear007. I enjoy watching those shows, though.

• Colleen

August 27, 2019 at 1:55 pm

“House” is a great show! My son binge watched it this past winter. Loved it!

@brittany-foster I like “I Shouldn’t Be Alive” for the same reason. The near death experience stories really pull me in.

• jen-cueva

August 27, 2019 at 9:50 pm

I just completed the first episode of Diagnosis. It was heartbreaking yet interesting. I thought that the amazing feedback they receive from people all around the world was incredible.

It’s not dramatic, it’s more experiences and real-life symptoms and themes.

The doctor is a columnist at the NY Times. Whoever came up with this idea was a genius, in my opinion.

• Colleen

August 28, 2019 at 11:53 am

I’m going to have to check it out Jen and I’ll let you know my thoughts. Thanks for the update Jen.

• brittany-foster

August 28, 2019 at 11:58 am

Is this the documentary one that follows people trying to receive a diagnosis or a cure? There is one like that I think that is hosted by a woman who used to host the Today Show in NYC. I am wondering if it’s the same one but I think the one I’m talking about is called “chasing a cure” or something like that.

• jen-cueva

August 28, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Hey Brittany, I haven’t seen that one, ” Chasing a Cure”. I’ll look, it is on Netflix, too?

Last night, the first episode was about a young woman trying to receive a diagnosis after 8 years. I enjoyed that episode. I went to bed afterward, so I hope to watch another one within the next few days.

It sounds like the one you are mentioning, would interest me, too.

• brittany-foster

August 28, 2019 at 4:30 pm

Jen,
        Here is a link to the show I’m talking about. I think it is only on TV right now. Not sure if you will be able to get it on Hulu or not after ? Sometimes that is how I watch my shows so I don’t have to sit through all the commercials LOL! Check it out here:

• jen-cueva

August 28, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Awesome, thanks! I live no commercials, I hate when I can’t fast-forward through them. Hehe

Now, it’s saved in my faves😄