Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Kathleen Sheffer
      Participant

Do you ever get nosebleeds? The combination of oxygen through a nasal cannula and high doses of blood thinning medication made nosebleeds all too common for me when I had PH before my heart-lung transplant. Sometimes my nosebleeds would last 5 hours or more, and I just couldn’t get them to stop. My nosebleeds could turn into emergency room visits requiring silver nitrate to stop the bleed. These experiences were exhausting!

One year, on December 31st I spent the whole night bent over, bleeding into a trash can filled with bloody tissues. Okay, that’s a bit graphic — sorry! My nose was still bleeding when everyone else in the house rang in the new year. What a memory! I will certainly never forget that New Year’s Eve.

Over the years, I saw multiple Ear Nose and Throat doctors (ENT’s) for this issue. Eventually, an ENT prescribed Mupirocin Ointment for prevention. Following her instructions, I applied a pea-sized amount to the opening of each nostril twice a day. Okay, she said to do twice a day, but I usually only managed to do it once a day. Oops. It did the trick, though. I never had a severe nosebleed again, and minor bleeds were much less frequent.

Have you seen an ENT for this issue? What recommendations have you been given? If this is a problem you struggle with, please seek advice from a medical professional. Ask them about Mupirocin Ointment and other ways to prevent nosebleeds.

Do you have other problems caused by blood thinning medication and/or oxygen? If not, maybe you have encountered a different problem resulting from the interaction of two different therapies. Feel free to start a new topic or private message me about personal issues. I am happy to research ailments that I may not have personal experience with. We all benefit from more information!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account