• Nosebleeds and How to Prevent Them

Posted by kathleen-sheffer on August 13, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Do you ever get nosebleeds? The combination of oxygen through a nasal cannula and high doses of blood thinning medication made nosebleeds all too common for me when I had PH before my heart-lung transplant. Sometimes my nosebleeds would last 5 hours or more, and I just couldn’t get them to stop. My nosebleeds could turn into emergency room visits requiring silver nitrate to stop the bleed. These experiences were exhausting!

One year, on December 31st I spent the whole night bent over, bleeding into a trash can filled with bloody tissues. Okay, that’s a bit graphic — sorry! My nose was still bleeding when everyone else in the house rang in the new year. What a memory! I will certainly never forget that New Year’s Eve.

Over the years, I saw multiple Ear Nose and Throat doctors (ENT’s) for this issue. Eventually, an ENT prescribed Mupirocin Ointment for prevention. Following her instructions, I applied a pea-sized amount to the opening of each nostril twice a day. Okay, she said to do twice a day, but I usually only managed to do it once a day. Oops. It did the trick, though. I never had a severe nosebleed again, and minor bleeds were much less frequent.

Have you seen an ENT for this issue? What recommendations have you been given? If this is a problem you struggle with, please seek advice from a medical professional. Ask them about Mupirocin Ointment and other ways to prevent nosebleeds.

Do you have other problems caused by blood thinning medication and/or oxygen? If not, maybe you have encountered a different problem resulting from the interaction of two different therapies. Feel free to start a new topic or private message me about personal issues. I am happy to research ailments that I may not have personal experience with. We all benefit from more information!

kathleen-sheffer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.